Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany
Children of all ages are welcome. Leafy Prenzlauer Berg, with its
wide boulevards, playgrounds, kids shops and family friendly
cafés, though also populated with young and trendy twenty
and thirtysomethings, is a great place to stay with a family.
Berlin is a great year-round city with plenty of parks for kids to play in during spring, summer and autumn, and fantastic gingerbread-fuelled Christmas markets and fairs in November and December.
Children under 6 go free; extra beds incur a small cost and cots are free.
- Best for: All ages
- Family friendly accommodation: Kids will enjoy the adventurous quirky decor. Book an apartment in Ackselhaus - they have a basic kitchenette and some have an extra room to use as a second bedroom. Or book a suite in Blue Home - the larger ones have a second bedroom and all have a basic kitchenette.
- Baby equipment:
- Children's meals: The hotels only offer breakfast; kitchenettes are very basic. Some rooms without a kitchenette still have a fridge. Berlin's restaurants are fairly child-friendly; there are lots of cafés and ice-cream parlours nearby, especially around Kollwitzplatz.
- Kids Activities on site:
- iPad to hire, with pre-loaded films, music and books
- Gardens with a fish pond (Blue Home) and exotic terrace (Ackselhaus)
- Kids Activities nearby:
- Kollwitzplatz, a short walk away, has a great children's playground for big and little kids
- The Sony Centre has a light-up roof, an IMAX and an English-speaking big-screen cinema
- The TV tower in Alexanderplatz offers a bird's eye view of Berlin
- Berlin Zoo and the Tiergarten park around it are both great for families
- Families Should Know: The fish pond isn't fenced, and the interiors aren't designed specifically with families in mind (there's a lot to look at...and touch). The area isn't too busy traffic-wise.
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Hospital: 20 minutes
- Shops: 2 minutes
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited and can sometimes go astray, so if it is crucial to you, please check with the hotel that it is still available