MAR 28

Our competition winner is back from Costa Rica!

• Competition Winner, Beth PollockOur blog ideas competition winner, Beth Pollock, came up with some great suggestions -  bagging herself a discounted i-escape trip and the chance to write all about it for our blog.  Well, now she’s back from an action-packed family holiday in Costa Rica, here’s the first of her two-part account:

“How beautiful must a country be to convince you to leave your home in Venice to live there?”

That’s what happened to our guide at the gorgeous Finca Rosa Blanca in Costa Rica.  Born to Venetian parents, Leo travelled extensively with his family, staying in 37 countries by the time he was 17.  But after a short time in Costa Rica, he and his siblings told their parents, “This is where we’re going to stay.”

Finca Rosa Blanca Country Inn, near San José, Costa Rica

Leo was our guide for a day.  He took us to the Poas Volcano which, although cloud-covered while we were there, allowed us to just see the rim of this still-active volcano.  At an altitude of nearly 9000 feet, we enjoyed the short walk to the edge, seeing the hardy plants that lived there (including Poor Man’s Umbrella and Monkey’s Tail fern).  After a wonderful lunch in a local restaurant, we shopped in the town of Sarchi, known for its crafts, particularly the hand-painted oxcarts typical of the region.  While we were in one shop, we watched an artisan painting one side of a cart with finesse.

Poas volcanoe, Costa Rica

Notwithstanding our amazing tour (say hi to Leo if you visit!), the real star was the hotel itself.  Finca Rosa Blanca is one of those perfect properties that you almost hesitate to talk about, for fear it will become too popular.  We booked side-by-side rooms with our teenage daughters that boasted breathtaking views of the valley from our terraces.

Finca Rosa Blanca Country Inn, near San José, Costa Rica

Finca Rosa Blanca Country Inn, near San José, Costa Rica

Each evening we enjoyed viewing the twinkling lights of San Jose, before walking down the leafy path to our hotel restaurant.  The food was consistently excellent, from the sea bass special to the Costa Rican breakfast with rice and beans that I ordered twice.  And their commitment to sustainable tourism is borne out in many ways, including buying most of their supplies from local merchants and supporting several schools and environmental causes.

Finca Rosa Blanca Country Inn, near San José, Costa Rica

Finca Rosa Blanca Country Inn, near San José, Costa Rica

Stay a few nights at the enchanting Finca Rosa Blanca, and you too may find yourself tempted to leave your own home to live in this beautiful country!

Check out Beth’s own blog at http://ofmusesandmeringues.blogspot.com/

Posted in Guest Blogs and tagged , , , , .
10 Comments
  1. What?? How can I get there too?? I don’t think I’d get out of bed.

Written by Belinda @zomppa at 2:20 pm on March 29, 2011
  2. Wow Beth! That looks like heaven on earth right there. Simply gorgeous. Wonderful guest post and I look forward to hearing more!

Written by Julie M. at 4:15 pm on March 29, 2011
  3. What a dream holiday! The rooms look absolutely divine, the scenery is breathtaking, the cuisine sounds delicious. Any place in the world that tops Venice, sign me up. I’m on my way!

Written by Trish Feehan at 6:04 pm on March 29, 2011
  4. What a fantastic and gorgeous place, Beth! What an amazing vacation you had!

Written by Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook at 9:10 pm on March 29, 2011
  5. Beth, seriously I’m dying. Those snaps of the hotel room are absolutely breathtaking. And the volcano? Obsessed. There’s nothing like a good climb along a crater to make a tropical vacation feel complete :)

Written by Kat at 1:21 am on March 30, 2011
  6. Looks like a great place! There are many exquisite boutique hotels in Costa Rica and this looks like one of them.

Cheers, Tee

Tee is the founder and senior editor of Costa Rica CLOSEUP a Travel Guide to Costa Rica with Events, Articles and Information for everyone traveling, retiring and/or purchasing real estate in Costa Rica. Please visit http://www.costaricacloseup.com for more information.

Written by Tee at 2:14 am on March 30, 2011
  7. This setting looks almost too beautiful to be real! I wish I could snap my fingers and be there, basking in the glorious surroundings and enjoying some downtime.

I hear that the weather in Costa Rico is always pleasant. Sounds (and looks) like the ideal holiday escape – beautiful hotel, nice people, wonderful food, gorgeous scenery and constant sunshine. I’m packing my bags……I wish!

Written by Carla Sandrin at 4:01 am on March 30, 2011
  8. Oh my, look at those pictures. I can’t go, I’d never leave! I’ve never seen anything like it, those beds look exquisite, and the views…

Written by Amie Kaufman at 11:11 am on March 31, 2011
  9. Wow! It took me a nano sec to sign up for i-escape….thank you!

Written by Kittie Howard at 10:04 pm on March 31, 2011
  10. Looks like paradise to me:) I am pretending I am there right now….the dishes can wait..lol

Written by Rana at 11:56 pm on March 31, 2011