When our Assistant Rates Manager Rebecca breezed into the office with everything for a weekend in London and a 7-night Sardinian holiday packed into 1 single beach bag, we couldn’t believe our eyes. Surely she’d forgotten to pack a whole host of holiday essentials?
As the rest of us told tales of taking 3 (yes, 3) washbags for a week away, suitcases bursting at the seams, and having to throw things out at baggage weigh-in, we realised we needed Rebecca’s packing secrets. So we demanded she empty out her bag and it turned out she really did have everything you’d need for a week in the sun. She’s just a regular Mary Poppins (though we’re sad to say there wasn’t a hat stand in sight).
Here’s the super-streamlined packing list:
1 pair of shorts
1 swimming costume
2 pairs of sandals
1 guide book
1 iPhone + headphones
1 pair of straighteners
1 travel adaptor
1 little handbag to hold purse, keys and phone
Make up: mascara, lip gloss etc. even eyelash curlers!
Toiletries: make-up wipes, cleanser, moisturiser, deodorant, shampoo & conditioner, hair oil, toothpaste, face scrub, sun cream x2, tissues, a whole bottle of perfume
Keen to glean as much packing wisdom as we could before she jets off, here are Rebecca’s top tips:
1. Dresses are super easy – you don’t have to find anything to co-ordinate them with and they’re lightweight. You can even take one for each day as they roll up really small.
2. Wear your summer wedges, cardigan and sunhat on the plane.
3. All toiletries should be miniatures, keep sample pots to decant your usual products into or pick up some mini bottles from the high street.
4. Cut down on makeup if you’re spending a week on the beach – sun cream and mascara do not mix well in my experience!
5. Be ruthless: if you haven’t got it you can’t wear it so only take things you really like.
6. Get yourself a decent toiletry bag. My roll-up one has changed my life. It has a hook which is great for hanging it up in the hotel bathroom while you’re away.
We must remember to make a copy of this as a crib sheet for our next break…