Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Families will find the villas or the larger cabins with lofts ideal. There are lots of kid-friendly activities (horse-riding, zip wire, the pool) and they'll like the buffet-style meals. Very young children are not encouraged as some cabinas don't have railings on their decks and the lodge is best suited for older adventurous kids, largely because of the activities nearby. We'd say it's best for children 8+.
- Best for: Children (4-12 years), Teenagers (over 12 years)
- Family friendly accommodation: Families with 2 adults and 1 child can book the deluxe cabinas with loft, which has a bedroom in the loft and master bedroom below it. For those with 2+ children, Casa Blanca (sleeping 4) and Casa Miramar (sleeping 8) are good choices, and extra cots/beds can be added where needed. Note that most bathrooms are shower-only and in some circumstances children may have to share double beds.
- Babysitting: Available from the local Spanish-speaking ladies who love children.
- Baby equipment:
- 8 cots
- Baby bedding
- High chair
- Baby bath
- Children's meals: There's a child-friendly restaurant in walking distance; cabina guests won't have as much mealtime flexibility as those in the houses, who can self-cater. Afternoon snacks are served for all.
- Kids Activities on site:
- Library of natural history books, some suitable for children
- Wildlife-related activities like sunset wildlife spotting tours and early morning birdwatching
- Kids Activities nearby:
- Surf lessons
- Boat and kayak trips
- Zipline for ages 6+
- Animal sanctuary for ages 6+
- Families Should Know: There are unprotected drops on the property, cliffs and unfenced balconies. There are strong currents and waves at the beach.
- Airport: 45 minutes
- Market: 45 minutes
- Medical facilities: 45 minutes