Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Families will find the villas or the larger cabins with lofts ideal. There are lots of kid-friendly activities (horse-riding, zip wire, the pool) and they'll like the buffet-style meals. Pleasingly, due to limited power supply and the wealth of wonders to behold, there are no televisions. While babies are welcome and accommodated for with cots and high chair, very young children/toddlers are not encouraged as some cabinas don't have railings on their decks. The lodge is best suited for older adventurous kids, largely because of the activities nearby; we'd say best for children from 6 upwards. Note that Bosque del Cabo do pride themselves on welcoming family groups of any size and type.
- Best for: Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teenagers (over 12 years)
- Family friendly accommodation: Families with 2 adults and 1 child can book the deluxe cabinas with loft, which has a bedroom in the loft and master bedroom below it. For those with 2+ children, Aracari Suite (sleeping up to 4), Casa Blanca (sleeping 4) and Casa Miramar (sleeping 8) are good choices, and extra cots/beds can be added where needed. Note that most bathrooms are shower-only and in some circumstances children may have to share double beds.
- Babysitting: Available from the local Spanish-speaking ladies who love children.
- Baby equipment:
- 8 cots
- Baby bedding
- High chair
- Baby bath
- Children's meals: There's a child-friendly restaurant in walking distance; cabina guests won't have as much mealtime flexibility as those in the houses, who can self-cater. Afternoon snacks are served for all.
- Kids Activities on site:
- Library of natural history books, some suitable for children
- Wildlife-related activities like sunset wildlife spotting tours and early morning birdwatching
- Kids Activities nearby:
- Surf lessons
- Horse riding
- Boat and kayak trips
- Zipline for ages 6+
- Animal sanctuary for ages 6+
- Families Should Know: There are unprotected drops on the property, cliffs and unfenced balconies. There are strong currents and waves at the beach. The rainforest has plants with thorns and which are not for human consumption.
- Airport: 45 minutes
- Market: 45 minutes
- Medical facilities: 45 minutes
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited and can sometimes go astray, so if it is crucial to you, please check with the hotel that it is still available