A sleek and unpretentious hotel in the heart of Berlin’s vibrant Mitte district
This is the second hotel venture of the Spanish shoe giant Camper,
and like its sister hotel in Barcelona it effortlessly
combines minimalist chic with down-to-earth and intelligent
comfort. Once again, interior gurus Jordi Tio and Fernando Amat
(creators of Barcelona’s iconic interior design store
Vinçon) are behind the hotel’s fresh and functional
design. Clean lines and a restrained use of colour (dominated by
wine-red and grey) are offset by quirky details like retro-style
bedside phones or window blinds emblazoned with the room
The hub of the hotel is the seventh-floor Tentempié lounge with views over the rooftops of Berlin. Here you can help yourself to snacks and drinks at any time of day or night, and mingle with an assortment of cool clubbers, iPhone-toting businessmen and young families. The 51 rooms are simple and efficient without skimping on comfort (truly excellent power showers), and there’s a sauna and relaxation area to unwind. To top it off, the hotel’s location in the heart of Mitte, surrounded by some of the city’s best bars, restaurants, boutiques and galleries, is hard to beat.
Reviewed by Jenny Piening
- The 24-hour buffet in the Tentempié lounge, where you can refuel at any time of day - for free!
- Superb Dos Palillos restaurant serving Asian tapas
- Excellent location in the heart of Berlin-Mitte, just 15 minutes’ walk from the ‘Museum Island’, and well sited for public transport
- Staff are enthusiastic and friendly and always ready to help
- Free WiFi throughout the hotel
- The windows in the rooms can’t be opened, and the air is rather dry as a result of the reverse cycle air-conditioning in place to regulate temperatures
- The minimalist, functional style of the hotel won’t be to everyone’s taste
- The hotel has no outdoor spaces or balconies
- You'll need to book in advance for the restaurant on Friday and Saturday nights - an indication of its popularity!
A place for grown-up hipsters with a heart...Time Out