Eixample, Barcelona, Spain
A luxurious architect-designed apartment in the upscale Eixample district (sleeping 6-8)
Immediately to the north-west of the Ciutat Vella (old
city), the late 19th-century district of Eixample (meaning
'extension' in Catalan) is famous for its octagonal blocks and
Modernist buildings. It's also where you'll find this whip-smart
apartment, which was refurbished to a pleasingly high
standard by friendly Anglo-Spanish couple John and Josefina.
Contemporary-classic in style, it features designer furnishings (Aeron chairs and Agustin Puig artwork), 3 blissfully comfortable bedrooms and 3 indulgent bathrooms (2 of them ensuite). There's a fully equipped kitchen, a living/dining room with a sofa (bespoke, of course), and library-style shelving stacked with guide books. All mod cons are here, from blackout blinds to Bose sounds docks, yet the feel is beautifully uncluttered. John and Josefina live a few blocks away and will do their utmost – including providing detailed information packs and free mobile phones – to ensure your staycation in Barcelona is a perfect as can be. Ours certainly was.
Reviewed by Nadine Mellor
- Architect-led refurbishment with high-quality fixtures and fittings, and superb attention to detail (including a shopping trolley and umbrella to make self-catering easy)
- John and Josefina's 'virtual concierge' service – no request is too much trouble, or too unusual!
- Excellent location in a safe neighbourhood, close to public transport, shopping on the Passeig de Gràcia, and sights such as Gaudí's Casa Milà
- Flexible accommodation that suits everybody from couples to families
- There's a home office with a flat-screen computer and WiFi - handy if you need to check into work periodically
- Certainly not the cheapest apartment you'll find in Barcelona (there's a weekend and public holiday check in/out surcharge, for example) – but quality never is cheap
- A surprising lack of food shops in the immediate vicinity, but you'll be eating out quite a bit and it's close to a market
- Set on a busy road, but state-of-the-art acoustic insulation means this isn't too much of a bother
- Bear in mind there's a minimum stay of 3-4 nights