One of the coolest boltholes in the land - a magnificent cowboy-kitsch barn conversion in deepest Norfolk (sleeps 18-20)
All you need to know is this: Cliff Barns is one of the loveliest
places you could ever hope to wash up in - and yes, the name is
intentionally reminiscent of Dallas. You step inside and it
slowly dawns that all those plans you made for the weekend will
come to nothing. Why? Because now you’ve found your slice of
heaven, nothing will part you from it.
Three playfully renovated barns encircle a central courtyard. In keeping with the Western theme - which the owners describe as 'Rancho Deluxe' - you get soaring wooden ceilings, slate floors covered with Aztec rugs, cowhide chairs, the odd straw Stetson and moose heads hanging from exposed stone walls. Turn left and you find a fleet of eclectic and fun rooms, each with their own cowboy character; turn right and you discover an enormous sitting room, with a vast stone fireplace.
Best of all is the courtyard. In summer it’s the hub of the house - potter out for a game of ping pong, a soak in the hot tub, or to throw some sausages onto the barbecue. Back inside, the sitting room comes with loads to entertain you: piles of books, mountains of games (some in giant versions), a hifi and WiFi. As for the kitchen, it’s got everything you’ll need, though you may not need it at all as a chef can come in to cook for you. It’s out of this world, so gather a group of friends and come for a big weekend.
Reviewed by Tom Bell
- The Wild West design: kitsch, colourful and cool, but you feel at home immediately
- The 8 bedrooms would fit in any boutique hotel - there are 5 doubles (4 ensuite), 2 twin/doubles, a Bunk House with 4 bunkbeds, and 2 additional shared bathrooms
- A really well-equipped kitchen for self catering, plus an array of catered choices (picnic hampers, chefs, menus to choose meals from, a shopping service), and good gastro pubs nearby
- The courtyard is hidden from the world, a perfect spot in summer
- Ideal for families, hen and house parties or multi-generational gatherings - with a hot tub, sauna, garden, games and a BBQ there's something for everyone
- Fully non refundable in the event of cancellation, except in exceptional circumstances and with supporting documentation
- Marham Airbase is close, but the planes don’t fly at weekends
- The coast is a bit of a schlep - about 30 km north
- The village is fine, but you wouldn’t put a picture of it on a chocolate box
A great choice for a weekend house party...The Independent