La Fortuna, Costa Rica
- Dining: Meals are served in the Lava Lizard restaurant, a 5-8 minute walk from the cabins and houses. A late breakfast can be requested if you want to sleep in
- Internet Access: WiFi available - the best signal is on the porches
- Spa Treatments: In-room massages can be arranged
- Recreational: Excellent resident guides for hikes, bird watching and horse treks. Board games available in each cabin or house
- Disabled Access: Volcano Cabin has wheelchair access though getting up and down the steep path can be tricky
- Pets: Welcome by prior arrangement
- Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Community-based venture: tours promote rural tourism, encouraging farmers and other locals to show off farms, waterfalls and forests; Monterrey neighbours helped plant native trees and plants to attract and sustain wildlife around the 26 acre farm; only local guides are employed and proceeds from community based tours go to them
When to go?
It's beautiful all year round. November to April are the best for sunshine, though December to March is high season, and Arenal gets very busy and everywhere books up fast, though Leaves and Lizards remains tranquil. The ‘Green’ season, from May to September is a great time to visit: it’s sunny in the mornings - and this is when you should get out and make the most of the surrounding area - and rainy in the afternoons. For a couple of weeks in late June, early July, there’s often a veranillo - 'little summer' - when there's a spell of hot, dry days. The rain can be strong in September and October.
Come for at least 3 nights, 4 if you're planning to spend a day exploring Arenal. Families should consider staying for a week as children will love it here.
- Organic produce
- Vegetarian menu
- Lunch by arrangement
- Dinner by arrangement
- WIFI internet
- Horse treks
- Disabled access
- Pets welcome by arrangement
- Airport Transfers