Near Brecon, Powys, Wales
Big character, great food and 7 comfortable rooms rolled into an award-winning country pub
Let's face it, most pubs can't cut it when it comes to matching
character, seriously decent tuck, good drink and a cosy room. Not
so The Felin Fach Griffin. Just down the road from the breathtaking
Brecon Beacons, this 7 bedroom chintz-free inn gives a
warm homely welcome. Upstairs you'll find 4-poster beds; downstairs
bright cushions, squashy leather sofas, timber beams and thick
stone walls. There's refreshing Welsh ale, and instead of a TV you
can stare through the crackling fire into the adjoining restaurant
and there are plenty of nooks in which to hide away and dine.
And what of personality? This is the love child of brothers Charles and Edmund Inkin. They've marked their turf throughout - from quirky farmyard pictures and an Aga in the breakfast room to antique wood carvings. Their company "Eat, Drink, Sleep" (which also runs The Gurnards Head and The Old Coastguard in Cornwall) says it all. When done so well without pretension, it's no wonder they win all the awards.
Reviewed by Aidan Forestier-Walker
- Wonderful cosy atmosphere - log fires, deep sofas and the weekend papers
- Good location in beautiful countryside: close to the Brecon Beacons, and the Black Mountains are a 15-minute drive
- Excellent food and decent wine list. Suppliers are local and there's an organic kitchen garden so expect what's in season
- Friendly, efficient service when we revisited in 2013
- Rooms are revamped every couple of years and the half-board packages offer especially good value. Book through i-escape and you'll get a free beauty treatment from the therapist, too!
- Just off the A470 which can get busy
- Noise can sometimes carry through to bedrooms
- Don't expect TV/DVDs but there's a Roberts Radio and selection of books in your room
- No longer a secret: weekends can get chocker so book well in advance
- No WiFi, although with beautiful countryside on your doorstep and a cosy bar downstairs, who needs it?
The perfect rural retreat, run by people who know exactly what you want...Harpers Bazaar