“Beachside cottages and deluxe villas with a fabulous pool and restaurants on Jimbaran Bay”
There are traditional Balinese cottages and pool villas set in beautifully maintained tropical gardens; a tranquil mix of bougainvillea, rose-pink waterlilies, hibiscus and frangipani interspersed with original remains of Balinese temples. The design aesthetic is the classic Balinese style we all love: vaulted bedroom ceilings over muslin-swathed beds, marble bathrooms opening out through sliding doors to the patios. The impressive lake-size pool created using Javanese stone is hard to match and from here you can step onto the beach to watch the gentle surf and children playing. Take a short stroll along the shore to find bustling fish markets and local beachside restaurants. The hotel’s laidback vibe combined with its indulgent luxury makes it the perfect spot to begin or end a stay in Bali.
- Jimbaran Bay is a quiet, exclusive spot but just a cheap 30-minute taxi ride from the night-spots of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak. It’s also just 15 minutes' drive from the airport
- Settle in with a cocktail at the beach bar while enjoying the superb sunsets, then dine in one of the hotel’s 2 excellent restaurants
- Direct access to one of Bali's best beaches, and just a short stroll from local fish restaurants
- Magnificent swimming pool where you can lose your days, and a tranquil open-air beach spa where you can listen to the ocean while enjoying a massage
- A great choice for couples or families looking for a luxurious break
- Garden View Cottage Suites are slightly inland, don't have sea views, and are a little close together, but charming nonetheless
- Part of the Belmond hotel group, it is less personal than some of our smaller i-escape hotels but certainly more intimate (and far better value) than the 5-star resorts along Jimbaran Bay
- In the distance you can watch airplanes landing at the airport but there's little noise and it didn't bother us
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The Balinese-style cottages lie adjacent to one another, and are reached along stone paths passing occasional statues of Hindu gods and koi-filled lily ponds. Features include spacious bathrooms with sunken terrazzo bathtubs, and terraces or wooden decks. The Garden View Cottage Suites are a little way back from the beach with only a view of their private walled courtyard gardens. If you prefer to feel less enclosed and want a sea view (albeit partly obscured through palm trees), we recommend one of the Beachview Cottage Suites. These are closer to the beach (though still 100 yards away) and feel more airy.
The villas offer an extra dash of luxury, with private pools in their gardens. Top of the pile (and well worth the extra) are the enormous Deluxe Pool Villas (1 or 2 bedrooms), which each have a spacious tropical garden and sunken swimming pool. Inside, decor is elegant: a wood and marble living room, black stone bathtub, indoor and outdoor showers and super comfortable kingsize beds. Outside you’re treated to a hardwood deck with sun loungers, a private daybed and traditional Balinese thatched bale, where spa treatments can be carried out.
- Air conditioning
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is laid out in the airy Tunjung Café, where sliding doors open onto a lotus pond and the morning breeze. The buffet overflows with croissants, sweet and savoury breads, hams, cheeses and home-made preserves in ceramic jars. The chef will knock you up a crêpe, a slice of French toast or eggs however you like them. Help yourself to crispy bacon, sausages and/or a mie or nasi goreng to accompany them. There are also fresh juices, tangy Bali Kopi and a selection of teas.
For dinner, Tunjung is transformed into an intimate candlelit restaurant, where tempting Indonesian specialties are served.
Alternatively, dine at the open-sided, beachfront Nelayan Restaurant. Surrounded by flaming torches, Nelayan has a reputation for having the freshest seafood on the island. Unsurprising, as you see the catch brought in each morning from the beach. Wiggle your toes in the cool sand as you order carangue, red snapper, grouper or mahi-mahi, prepared in a fusion of Mediterranean and local cuisine.
The local fish restaurants along the beach, for which Jimbaran Bay is famous, make a good alternative. And be sure to sample any one of the cheap beach stalls selling barbecued fish on coconut husks.
Snacks are available at the beachside Puri Bar, as are wonderful cocktails, including a seriously good Mai Tai (pricey by Balinese standards, so best enjoyed at happy hour.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- The beach will dominate your thoughts here - it’s white sand, speckled with shells, coral and tiny scampering crabs. Paddle in the Indian Ocean (it's a long walk at low tide)
- Float on your back in the vast green-blue swimming pool
- Bliss out on the exquisite rose petal-strewn Beach Spa terrace overlooking the bay. Choose from Balinese massage or Ayurvedic shirodhara. Or have an impromptu massage while lying on your sunlounger
- If you’re up early, walk 3km along the beach to watch the fish being landed and sold at the market
- Visit the temple in Jimbaran, a 15-minute walk away (remember to wear long sleeves, a sarong and a sash)
- Take a taxi to Uluwatu, one of Bali’s holiest temples perched on a clifftop over the Indian Ocean - again, dress respectfully
- Shop till you drop for cheap shell jewellery, designer fakes, sarongs, aromatic oils and surf gear in Kuta or head to Seminyak for more upmarket boutiques and galleries
- Take a tour or private car inland to Ubud for wonderful temples and the famous Monkey Forest. The hotel can help organise an itinerary to suit you
- For thrilling surf breaks, head over to Airport Rights, accessible by boat from Jimbaran fishing village, or Padang Padang, which was voted one of the ten best waves by Australia’s Tracks magazine
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Unsurprisingly, the hotel staff are great with young children and the relaxed vibe and spacious layout means that kids won’t disturb those on a more romantic break. Dinner is served from 6pm but you can always order room service or have a snack at the beachside Puri Bar.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Two-Bedroom Deluxe Pool Villas are the most spacious option, but all cottages have single sofabeds for kids.
If you choose to stay in a pool villa, it goes without saying that you need to be vigilant with kids near the pool. However, they make a great option if you want to enjoy a romantic candlelit dinner out on the decking, while the little ones slumber inside. They also have a grassy area perfect for burning off extra energy and include an afternoon tea served as you lounge on the luxurious daybed...
Baby cots available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
On-site children's pool
Belmond Jimbaran Puri is situated right on the beach in upmarket Jimbaran Bay, south Bali. It's a 15-minute taxi ride from Denpasar airport.
Fly to Denpasar Ngurah Rai (5km), served by many international airlines. You can also fly to Jakarta, then travel overland (approx 24 hours) or catch a connecting flight to Denpasar.
From the Airport
The hotel offers a private transfer. You can also get a taxi from the airport (from approx $5).
There are frequent boats between Bali and the major islands in Indonesia, including Java, Lombok and Komodo. When you reach the ferry port, take a taxi to the hotel - haggle a price before you get in.
We don’t recommend renting a car unless you’re a very seasoned visitor to Bali as some of the on-the-spot fines for ‘traffic violations’ can be annoying. Narrow roads and overtaking procedures can also be unnerving.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Denpasar Ngurah Rai 5.0 km DPS
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km