“Charming rural hotel with restaurant, pretty pool and horse riding, within easy reach of white-sand beaches”
But rest assured it’s not all rustic charm. The creative Mediterranean restaurant serves delectable dinners beneath the stars, sleek white loungers line the turquoise pool and the 27 welcoming rooms are rich with comforts and mod cons - most also have far-reaching views or private terraces. Beyond the estate the charm offensive continues: historic settlements, cycle paths, rural walks and white-sand beaches await.
- Great beaches nearby (walk 2km cross country or drive), and paths from the hotel for hiking, horse riding and cycling
- Relaxed breakfasts and a pretty pool make lazy days very appealing
- Families are well catered for, plus there's lots of space to play
- A welcoming team who can help you explore the island - it’s an easy drive to all the highlights
- We particularly liked the romantic Superior Rooms in the small stable block, and the Junior Suite terraces
- Dinner can be pricey and we’ve heard reports of slow table service
- Most room terraces aren't very private, but their outlooks are lovely
- You’ll want a car, as it’s fairly isolated - a 10-minute drive to the village, a little longer to beaches
- Standard Rooms lack outdoor space and are a little dark
- Keep in mind that children (and babies) are included in the headcount for Standard and Superior room occupancies
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages are welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
- Horse riding
Spread between the original farmhouse and former stable blocks, a sense of tradition and comfort permeates the rooms and suites. The 1st-floor Standard Rooms reside entirely in the farmhouse, where floral throws and carved wooden headboards create a sense of home. Some are well placed for sea views, while 2 are tucked away via a quiet corridor, which can be closed to other guests if they’re booked together. Handily, every room has a bathtub and shower.
The larger stable block holds the Junior Suites, with space for families and charming private terraces gazing over manicured gardens towards open fields.
Superior Rooms are divided amongst 3 buildings and all have cute (if not particularly private) terraces. Those in the farmhouse will suit traditional tastes, one in the larger stable block offers extra space and disabled access, while those in the smaller block have a sleeker, more modern look and extra privacy - this building is hidden in a quiet corner of the estate.
Since we last visited, 7 new Junior Suite Deluxes have been created in the building next to the pool. Primarily for couples, these offer added privacy and come with 2 terraces and a private plunge pool. You also get thoughtful extras like a free minibar and a welcome cocktail or cava on arrival.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee/tea making (on request)
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Honesty bar
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Supplemented by a pretty herb garden, the restaurant serves classic yet creative fare featuring authentic Menorcan produce. The traditional Mahon cheese that the farm once produced is still sourced locally and present in many dishes.
A cosy dining room spills out onto a sun-dappled terrace: definitely our location of choice for a lazy breakfast or candlelit dinner. Light lunch dishes of salads and sandwiches can be ordered during the day. There’s little more than birdsong and rustling trees to break the peace and, though we didn’t dine here, dishes like chicken and truffle cannelloni and Iberian pork shoulder sounded very appealing.
Picnics of cured meats, bread and fruit can be requested for days out and there are a few informal eateries at Santo Tomas beach (2km cross-country walk or 15-minute drive). You could also walk 15 minutes to Es Migjorn Gran village for lunch, although the quiet track might be better attempted in a car if you fancy an evening out. Menorca is great for seafood and tapas - ask the team for recommendations or see our destination guide.
- Children's meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Peaceful and picturesque, the surrounding countryside is a joy to explore. The hotel has horses for guided riding and bicycles can be arranged on request
- Walk 2km cross-country to beaches - Cala Binigaus, Santo Tomas and San Adeodato. Walking maps can be provided, or it's a 15-minute drive to each
- Other local highlights include the Sant Agustí prehistoric settlement, the Cave of the Doves and the coastal Cami de Cavills
- Ask staff to arrange a boat trip along the coast or a relaxing in-room massage. There's also tennis at Es Migjorn Gran's sports centre or, easiest of all, you could simply lounge by the swimming pool
- Bite-size Menorca is wonderfully easy to explore - see our destination guide for more highlights and inspiration
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
All ages welcome and kids can let off steam in the secure, landscaped grounds. Though unfenced, the pool is within easy view of most of the property.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Junior Suites have lounge areas with double sofabeds for kids to sleep on and can accommodate a cot. Within the Standard Room category are 2 rooms which can be booked together, suitable for a family of 4. These 2 rooms benefit from a private corridor that can be shut off to other guests and can only be booked together on request, subject to availability. Please note that although children can also sleep in Standard and Superior Rooms, they are included in the two-person occupancy. All rooms have bathtubs and showers, and cots are available on request (for Junior Suite only).
Available on request
Baby cots and high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Horse riding for kids over 12
Kids Activities nearby:
- Boat trips
Families Should Know:
Cala Binigaus lacks facilities and is popular with nudists; Santo Tomas and San Adeodato have beach bars, umbrellas and loungers. Horse riding is suitable for children aged 12+ only.
- Airport: Mahon (30 minutes)
- Hospital: Mahon (plus medical centre in Es Migjorn Gran)
- Village shop: Es Migjorn Gran (a 15-minute walk)
Binigaus Vell is just outside the village of Es Migjorn Gran, near the southern coast of Menorca. It's accessed via a rural track, and is approximately 30 minutes from Maó (Mahon) and 40 minutes from Ciutadella.
Mahon (26km) is Menorca's only airport. You can take a taxi from here or arrange a transfer, but the we'd recommend that you hire a car to explore the island. The hotel has a car park.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Mahon (Maó) 26.0 km MAH
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km