“Adorable, homely little hotel with fabulous mountain views in Mallorca's prettiest village - perfect for walkers”
The owner first came to Fornalutx as a child and loved the island ever since, determined to retain the essential Mallorquin character of Ca'n Reus while making some improvements. With a passion for the surrounding mountains, they can give advice on the best walks, prepare robust walkers' picnics, book restaurants en route and act as a guide, if requested.
- Parking is impossible outside the hotel but there's a village car park a few hundred yards away
- Some rooms are quite dark and we found the lighting too dim to read in the evenings (better to have a back-facing room)
- You'll have to drive to get to a beach, but the hotel has a small pool for refreshing dips in summer
- No TV, phones or minibars, but there is an honesty bar
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast (+ dinners on request)
- Babies or 6+ year olds
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
There are 9 simple but lovely rustic bedrooms, each differently decorated and named after one of the nearby mountains. All have original tiled floors, antique furniture and good-quality linen bedding with mosquito nets draped above. The rooms are characterful and comfortable, but don't expect mod cons such as TVs or minibars. Ensuite bathrooms are simple and clean with baths, overhead showers and fluffy towels. Two rooms on the garden and ground floor are slightly larger and more contemporary in style.
The junior suite, named after Mallorca's highest mountain, Puig Major, has a lovely antique wooden bed and a sitting area with a view of the mountains. While we peeked in to see it, Tomeu was filling it with sweet-smelling roses and lillies for a honeymoon couple. The other 2 rooms on this floor overlook the lane at the front of the hotel - it's so narrow you can almost touch the houses on the opposite side! Both Sa Rateta and Almallutx have beamed ceilings and are decorated in traditional style with antique beds and dressing tables. Both are available as a double or twin.
L'Ofre and Alfabia are at the top of the house and offer the best mountain views. Attic wooden beams slope down to large windows looking across the valley to the rugged Serra de Tramuntana. Both rooms are available as a double or twin. Also on the top floor is Tomir, a twin or double, and another delightful room, Massanella which has a gorgeous old Mallorquin carved wooden bed (not suitable for basketball players!). Both overlook the narrow lane to the front which is reflected in the cheaper price.
Garden and Ground Floor:
Sa Paisa, is located on the garden level. Its stylish mix of modern and old and wonderful mountain views make it our favourite room. French doors lead onto the garden and pool, ideal for an early morning dip, though it can lack privacy during the day if other guests are sitting in the garden. The bathroom (separated only by a linen curtain) is spacious with an oversized bathtub, overhead shower and double ceramic basins imaginatively held in what was once the animals' feeding trough.
Ca Ses Jaies is an artistically decorated large double room with small sitting area and French doors leading up to the hotel's main terrace (it's on the lower ground floor). There is space for an extra bed, making it ideal for those with a child. The drawbacks: a small shower room (no bath), no view and darker than the other rooms.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Extra beds
- Mosquito net
For breakfast, expect a feast of delicious, freshly baked cakes, savoury tarts, pastries, hams, cheeses, local sausages, eggs, fruit, coffee and the sweetest orange juice squeezed from the fruits in the valley. In summer you'll eat on the terrace overlooking the mountains and in the cooler months, at a long wooden table with other guests in the inviting yellow dining room.
For evening meals (on request), expect Mallorquin specialities such as jamon serrano or homemade, chilled soups for a starter. For a main course, there will be a choice of meat or fish dishes, then local goat´s cheese and seasonal fruit or ice creams or sorbets to complete the meal.
They can make up picnic lunches on request, or Fornalutx has a handful of cafes around its tiny main square. On the edge of the village going towards Lluc, there are a couple of restaurants with vine-covered terraces serving simple but good Mallorquin dishes. The neighbouring town of Soller and Porto Soller offer a range of more sophisticated restaurants (the hotel can make suggestions).
- Communal dining
- Dinner by arrangement
- Packed lunches on request
- Restaurants nearby
- Sit in a garden deckchair gazing at the wonderful view and reading a pile of books. Dip in the small pool when you get too hot
- Go on one of the many walking trails in the region. There are some excellent hikes ranging from a couple of hours to a full day. For the really keen, there are routes which incorporate overnight stops at the Lluc Monastery and Son Torells mountain refuge.
- Walk or drive the few kilometres to Soller - a lovely, laid-back town with grand old buildings and leafy streets. Buy a newspaper and sit in one of the many outdoor cafes lining the shaded main square. Afterwards, take the scenic journey on the old wooden train from Soller to Palma
- There are 2 botanical gardens nearby; one displaying plants from southern Europe and north Africa, the other Alfabia Gardens, which follow the original Moorish layout
- Drive along the spectacular northwest coast towards Lluc where the mountains soar straight out of the sea then inland you pass by the island's only lakes
- If you want to go the beach, Puerto Soller (10 minutes' drive) has a long sandy beach but is rather characterless. Prettier, small shingle coves can be found 25 minutes away at Cala Deia and Cala Tuent. For the island's best sandy beaches go for the day to Formentor in the far north (golden sand, calm shallow waters and pine woods), Es Trenc in the south east (5km stretch of white sands with shallow turquoise water (but go during the week and get there early to avoid the local crowds) or try one of the many calas on the east coast
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
Children under 1 and over 6 are welcome and the hotel has extra beds to borrow. If you are coming with a baby, you will need to bring a travel cot.
Family friendly accommodation:
Parents with small babies are advised to stay in Sa Paisa and Ca ses Jaies; these rooms are furthest away from the other bedrooms so it doesn't matter if your baby cries. Older children can sleep on an extra bed in Puig Major, Sa Paisa and Almallutx or have their own room for a reduced rate; enquire when booking.
Ca'n Reus is located in Fornalutx, a small village just outside Soller in the northwest of Mallorca. It is a 40-minute drive from Palma airport.
Fly into Palma (30km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
From the Airport
Take a taxi or hire a car (recommended).
See our car rental recommendations. Make sure you have a couple of euros or so for the Soller tunnel toll. You cannot park outside Ca'n Reus as the street is too narrow but there is a free car park as you enter the village. This is about 200 yards away but you will need to pay between 11.00-18.00. The hotel can usually help with feeding the meter and will let you know where there is free parking.
Take the no. 1 bus from the airport which takes you into Palma, go around the corner and catch the old wooden train up to Soller (about 5 or 6 a day) and then it's about 8 minutes in a taxi to Fornalutx. The train journey is wonderful and the views of the mountain are breathtaking. Sit by the door because it's really cool when you go through the tunnel and you can open the door wide!
For train times Palma-Soller click here.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 30.0 km PMI
- Beach 7.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km