“Colour, comfort and relaxed style in the charming village of Fornalutx”
Behind the old stone facade, clean white walls adorned with bright contemporary paintings lead you through from the entrance into a Moorish-style courtyard. Here you can rest under a giant palm tree, enjoy a cool drink and listen to the gentle sound of gurgling water. Hidden steps then take you to scented and exotic gardens that overlook the pool and offer stunning views of Mallorca's highest mountains, the Tramuntana. Lace up your walking boots to explore local trails then unwind with a massage in the garden tent or seek out a quiet corner with your book and those views for company.
- The hideaway feel - it's small, tranquil and relaxing thanks to friendly staff
- Fabulous modern art throughout, all by Mallorquin artists
- The location in a charming old village with great local restaurants and mountain hiking on your doorstep
- Comfortable rooms. We especially love the vast penthouse suite with its enormous bath
- Some furnishings, such as the bedspreads, look a little tired and outdated
- Quite pricey considering its simplicity but you're paying for the location and views, and rates do include breakfast and tax
- The sunbed area around the pool is rather small and can get crowded if the hotel is full
- The nearest beach is a 15-minute drive
- Children are not accepted; a high for some
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast (+ walk to off-site restaurants)
- Over 18s only
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
Each of the 11 rooms exudes creativity. Spotless, light and airy, they feature contemporary Mallorquin artwork and designer lighting mixes well with occasional antique pieces and original stonework. Comfortable beds ensure a good night's sleep (though the bedspreads are rather old-fashioned), while CD players, satellite TV and WiFi bring modern comfort. All except one room has a bathtub and shower (some even have a whirlpool) and there are robes and locally made toiletries.
Best of all is the Penthouse Suite - a sensational 1-bedroomed apartment in cool white marble with a vast open plan sitting/dining/kitchen area and private terrace. The upper bathroom has a floor to itself where you can soak in a huge round bathtub and lap up the wraparound mountain views. Our only problem was that we never wanted to leave (and with 24-hour room service you don't need to), but for those who do there is a private path from your bedroom leading to the swimming pool. It's expensive but definitely worth a splurge.
Of the other rooms, the 3 with garden views are the best. The other 7 rooms are just as nice but are at the front of the building, overlooking the lane (though it is pretty and traffic-free). The Junior Suite has an extra single bedroom and is only worth paying the extra if there are 3 of you. Some rooms don't have a mirror except small ones in the bathroom.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Internet access
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Breakfast offers fresh coffee and orange juice (the valley produces some of the world's sweetest oranges), a selection of fruit, croissants, ensaimadas, hams and cheeses.
There's an informal lounge area from where food can be ordered on request throughout the day - everything from simple salads to imaginative Mediterranean dishes using fresh local produce and accompanied by fine wines. Feedback is excellent. But most guests tend to eat out - Fornalutx has some great local restaurants, all within walking distance; staff can advise.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Laze by the pool with a good book and a cool drink
- For those requiring pampering, massages and beauty treatments can be arranged in your room or in a garden tent
- Surrounded by some of Mallorca's highest mountains, Ca'n Verdera is well-positioned for walking trails - from half-hour strolls to more strenuous day hikes
- Fornalutx is a picturesque village with a tiny square and a few laid-back cafes, ideal for a mid-morning coffee; an easy drive away, Deia is also stunning
- Walk or drive into nearby Soller, a sleepy town full of charm with a lovely, leafy square, ideal for people-watching or a browse of the newspapers. From Soller you can take the old wooden train to Palma for a spot of shopping and a glimpse of the super yachts and impressive cathedral
- There are plenty of golf courses on the island - the nearest is about 30 minutes away. The hotel can arrange tee-off times, etc
- Watersports are available in Puerto de Soller, 15 minutes by car. Although there is a long sandy beach at the port, it's rather uninspiring. Better to drive 20 mins down the coast to Deia's pebbly but picturesque cove where you can go snorkelling off the rocks and enjoy a delicious fish lunch. Or spend the day on one of the excellent sandy beaches on the east coast or Formentor in the north.
- Tennis courts are a 5-minute walk from the hotel (but not owned by Ca'n Verdera). Bicycles can be rented locally - but be prepared for a hilly ride
- Go for a scenic drive, heading north along the coast where the rugged mountains plunge dramatically into the sea (not for the vertiginous), and then inland past the lakes and to the monastery at Lluc
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children are not accepted - this is a tranquil haven with precious breakables and immaculate cream and white furnishings!
Ca'n Verdera is in the pretty village of Fornalutx, 40 mins from Palma airport, among the impressive Tramuntana mountains.
Palma (30km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
Either take a taxi from the airport, ask the hotel to arrange a transfer or, better still, hire a car.
See our car rental recommendations. If renting a car, make sure you have a few euros with you for the Soller tunnel toll. Ca'n Verdera has its own car park, behind the hotel with 4 spaces; book in advance.
Detailed directions are provided when booking is confirmed through i-escape.com
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 30.0 km PMI
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km