“Stylishly restored house on the edge of Fornalutx with pool and stunning mountain views (sleeps 8-10, weekly rental only)”
With 5 bedrooms, 2 sitting rooms, an open-plan kitchen-diner, plenty of terrace space and a lap pool in the garden, it's a seriously classy option for a large family or a group of 6-10 friends, who want to spend a week exploring Mallorca's most spectacular landscapes and rugged coastline. The house was renovated using slate, black marble, polished concrete and natural riverstones, to create an uncluttered, vintage-meets-contemporary atmosphere. There are arty touches inspired by the owner's 15 years in Paris - silk onion-bulb lampshades, fern-fretwork wall appliqués, purple velvet cushions in the living room, voile curtains in the bedrooms - and thoughtful extras such as fluffy bathrobes and slippers, custom-made bathroom products, and an ample welcome basket. The high-spec kitchen and gorgeous dining terrace put the seal on easy living.
Outside you'll find a 700 sq.m. garden fragrant with orange, lemon, jacaranda, bougainvillia, jasmine, magnolia, and herbs. Keen walkers love it here, with many trails into the Tramuntana mountains right from the doorstep. Beaches, tennis, cycling, sailing and snorkelling are all a short drive away.
- Delightful setting just outside the pretty village of Fornalutx, with big views and outside spaces
- High standard of fixtures and finishings, with original artwork, accessories from Le Monde Sauvage, and sleekly contemporary bathrooms
- Proper 13m-long pool with sunloungers, outdoor sofas and a hammock
- Extensive selection of books, CDs and DVDs for the rare rainy day
- Catering on request - and culinary/wine tours.
- Jenny has a background in events management and is more than happy to organise special stays such as birthdays and weddings
- Non-smoking house
- You can't drive to the door (you can stop 50m away to unload, and park 150m away)
- Be prepared for a (short) uphill walk into Fornalutx
- The pool is unheated so can be cool in May and October
- A 4-night minimum stay, rising to 7 nights in July and August (Sat-Sat), plus there's a compulsory end of stay cleaning charge
- Don't expect an untouched Mallorquin village: Fornalutx is (second) home to lots of Brits and Germans
Best time to go
Our top tips
Ask Jenny about the best shops and farmers markets for local produce, so you can make the most of the well equipped kitchen - which was a real pleasure to cook in!”
- Boutique Villa
- Self-catering (chef on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
Ground Floor: you enter the house through French doors off the large shady veranda, to find an indoor dining area which flows through an archway into a contemporary kitchen. There's also a cosy TV room with satellite TV, CD/DVD and video player.
First Floor: a wide staircase leads to an elegant living room full of black marble, antique books, French furniture (including a 19th-century sofa with velvet cushions), an open fireplace and exceptional views. The Master Suite, which used to be a photographic studio, has a Balinese emperor-sized four-poster, slate floors and a gorgeous ensuite bathroom with freestanding oval bathtub and walk-in riverstone shower. Opposite lies Bedroom 5: a small twin room (bunk-beds) with an ensuite shower room, a desk and an armchair. It's best suited to little ones as comes with a wicker basket full of toys and a shelf packed with kids books. This is the only room which lacks air-con, but the owners are planning on adding it in the future.
Second Floor: Bedroom 2 - a large double with ensuite bathroom and private terrace with view of the mountains; Bedroom 3 - large double with ensuite bathroom (this room can be converted into a twin if required); Bedroom 4 - twin bedroom with ensuite bathroom.
All bathrooms have fluffy bathrobes, slippers, hairdryers and custom-blended organic toiletries. Three of the bedrooms have large custom built Mallorquin wardrobes; the twin has a chest of drawers. All rooms have crisp French bedlinen, voile or heavy raw linen curtains and air-conditioning.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Full kitchen
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
Catering is on request. But budding chefs will have fun in the well-equipped kitchen complete with induction hob, American fridge, oven, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, blender, toaster, kettle, blow torch and countless other cook’s toys. Your generously packed welcome basket includes wine, beer, Tio Pepe, all the usual breakfast basics (tea, coffee, milk, juice, bread, butter, bacon, eggs, jam, honey, cereals, yoghurt) plus a whole cooked chicken, vegetables, rice, pasta and home-made cake - enough for the first 24-36 hours before you need to stock up again! If you have any special requests or dietary restrictions do mention this when booking.
And there are some lovely spaces to sit and eat. Take breakfast al fresco on the palm- and olive-planted terrace, enjoy a poolside barbecue on sunny afternoons, at night dine indoors and in style at the antique mahogany oval table for 10.
The village shop in Fornalutx is incredibly well-stocked and includes a butcher’s counter, a wine section and in-house bakery. Otherwise, drive down the hill for 3 minutes to the Co-operativa Agricolo Sant Bartolemo selling organic local produce plus fantastic Soller olive oil, almonds and oranges. If you don’t feel like cooking, Fornalutx boasts 3 bars, 2 cafés and 4 restaurants including C'an Antuna, a typical Mallorquin restaurant with spectacular terrace views of the Valle de los Naranjas - the King of Spain is a regular guest.
- Chef on request
- Children's meals
- Full kitchen
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Chill out by the lap pool (13m x 3m) with complimentary Tio Pepe; although unheated it is delightful to swim in from May-October, and the salt-based cleaning system reduces skin irritation, stinging eyes and is great for babies
- Browse the welcome pack which is full of useful info on the house, local area and things to do during your stay
- Book in for a culinery/ wine tour - fabulous!
- Go hiking: try the Sa Figuera path running from Fornalutx to the Port de Soller (2hrs) or a spectacular circuit round the beautiful Tossals Verds massif with a stop at the pretty refugi (hut). Mountain guides can be arranged
- Head down to the Port de Soller for all things nautical, including a dive school, fishing charters, lively bars and a very safe, sandy beach for small children
- Take the scenic coastal road to Cala de Deia where you will find a stunning cove offering sublime snorkelling and a cliff top restaurant, C’as Patro March, serving a delicious catch of the day
- Sit in the shady main square in Fornalutx sipping an ice-cold beer and watching the world go by
- There are fine clay tennis courts at Soller Tennis Club, with private coaching by arrangement
- Culture: Discover the world of Chopin and Georges Sand in Valldemossa, visit the Deia International Music Festival (March to September) or take 'El Tren' through winding olive groves from Soller to Palma to see the latest exhibition at Es Baluard, the fabulous new contemporary art museum in Palma
- If you want to go cycling, Tramuntana Tours in Soller can arrange bicycle hire and tours by prior arrangement
- Son Termens Golf course is a 15 minute drive towards S'Esglaieta through the Soller tunnel
- Take a day off, lazing in a hammock with a book from the house library
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Ca's Penelope is a family home and is well set up for groups and families as such, sleeping up to 10. It's filled with games and toys and equipment you probably wouldn't think to bring with you, but really need (such as a sun tent for the beach) and we think it's great for all ages – as long as you watch toddlers around the pool. You would anyway, though, wouldn't you?
If you want to book tennis lessons or riding nearby, contact the owners in advance or when booking. And you can also arrange for nappies and baby food to be purchased in advance for your arrival.
Family friendly accommodation:
Of the 5 bedrooms, 2 can be made up with twin beds, and there is 1 room first-floor room with bunkbeds. Baby cots are available and 2 of the 4 bathrooms have a bathtub.
English-speaking babysitter available by arrangement. See rates.
- 2 cots
- High chair
- Pushchair to borrow
- Baby bedding
- Baby bath
- Sun tent for the beach
- Plastic crockery
- Non-slip bath mats
- Bottle warming
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The kitchen is well-equipped and has a microwave and blender among other gadgets. You can book catering if you want; there is a grocery store 4 minutes' walk away and takeaways and child-friendly eateries nearby too.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Children's DVDs
- Sky TV with children's channels
- A wendy house/play tent
- Football net and hammocks in garden
- A groaning games cupboard and toy chest filled with board games, ELC toys, Duplo, Lego and more, appropriate for toddlers to teens
- Playstation, Wii and Xbox in the TV room
- Sand toys
Kids Activities nearby:
- Port de Soller has a safe sandy beach with a PADI dive centre and watersports
- Tennis lessons with an English coach are available in Soller
- Nearby riding stables run private and group lessons
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced
- Airport: 45 minutes
- Hospital: 30 minutes
- Doctor: 10 minutes
Ca's Penelope is on the edge of pretty village, Fornalutx, close to the Serra de Tramuntana mountains, in the North West of Mallorca.
Palma (35km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
From Palma get a taxi (there are plenty outside the arrivals building it's and a 40min drive - see Rates) or hire a car if you plan to explore the island.
see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be given you to once your booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 35.0 km PMI
- Beach 6.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km