“5-room B&B near the Costa Verde in Asturias, where the focus is on relaxation, well-being and the glorious surrounding countryside”
The purpose-built B&B was designed to look like an old Asturian farmhouse, but the real delight lies within. Walking in the front door is like receiving a hug from an old friend - the peace of La Calma permeates you. Morelia's very intentional philosophy of deep tranquility is woven into every detail through clever use of lighting, décor, music and even aroma. It’s a great base for a relaxing holiday, and the chance to partake in a completely bespoke personal wellbeing experience - a real one-off in this part of Spain. We can’t wait to go back.
- The room details: Nespresso machines, healthy refreshments in the minibars, and power showers
- Great value for money
- Morelia’s fantastic de-stressing massages and wide variety of wellbeing treatments
- An excellent breakfast, and great restaurants nearby for both high-end dining and tapas
- The personal and welcoming service from Morelia will make your holiday
- You’ll need a car to get here and to drive out for dinner as only breakfast is served (though there are a handful of good restaurants within walking distance)
- Although Morelia is a native English speaker, there is little English spoken in this region - try to learn some Spanish beforehand
- There’s a 5-night minimum stay in high season
- The B&B has a no alcohol policy
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- Breakfast only (restaurants nearby)
- Adults only
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
La Calma has 5 modern double rooms. On the top floor are 3 Superiors. These are the quietest rooms and 2 have private balconies, 1 has a very large window with views of the gardens and countryside beyond. On the floor below, the 2 Comfort rooms are the same size but with lower ceilings and standard windows, no balconies.
Both room types are decorated in the same low-key way, using natural materials in the Asturian style, and soothing earth tones. Adding to the philosophy of wellbeing, each room has its own pair of carefully hand-selected crystals and quartzes, designed to keep the energy fresh.
As well as a nod to the traditional, there are modern facilities like power showers, Nespresso machines and ecological toiletries made with Vervain and Bergamot essential oils to promote calmness. All rooms have discreetly positioned plasma TVs and share the DVD library in the salon - all of which have been chosen for their positive messages. Also in the salon are sofas, armchairs and a fireplace, while outside there's a large garden with picnic tables and parasols for sunny days.
- Central heating
- DVD player
- Nespresso coffee machine
La Calma only serves breakfast, but in a fantastic rural setting with access to great produce; it is a breakfast to shout about. Expect a self-service Spanish feast with local goat's cheese, Serrano ham, chorizo, homemade muffins and cakes, and organic local honey from Alberto, the neighbourhood beekeeper.
Rooms come with well-stocked minibars offering carefully selected healthy drinks and snacks. Each room also has a Nespresso machine, from which there are 2 free coffees and teas every day (the rest are charged).
For lunch and dinner, Morelia should be your first port of call when it comes to deciding where to eat. Food is a serious part of Asturian culture: Cabrales cheese is its most famous export, along with cider and fabada - a hearty stew made of beans and sausages. Drink cider by the river in Ribadesella (3km), combine stylish cocktails with gourmet food at La Huertona, or indulge in top-end nosh at Michelin-starred Arbidel. If you don't want to drive, walk to Mesón la Fuente and feast on hearty Asturian stews on their charming outdoor terrace.
- Packed lunches on request
- Restaurants nearby
- Relax, relax, relax: read books on the lawn or head to the wellness centre for holistic treatments, amazing massages, reflexology or personalised yoga and meditation sessions
- Explore Ribadesella, the nearby fishing village (3km), which has plenty of beachfront restaurants, and an outdoor food market winding through its streets on a Wednesday
- Hit the beach. La Calma is only 3km from the closest beach, lovely Santa Marina, which is within walking distance of Ribadesella's centre. Vega Beach has an Australian surf vibe, and has a few atmospheric restaurants
- Surf. Asturias is gaining a reputation as the best surfing spot in Spain, and there are plenty of surf school for all levels
- Take a day trip into the mountains. It takes 30 minutes to drive to Cangas de Onís, the gateway to the Picos de Europa, and from there you can drive to the Covadonga glacial lakes, pretty mountain towns and wide pastures. It’s a great area for walking
- Hike a stretch of the Camino de Santiago, the pilgrimage route that runs nearby
- Ask Morelia to arrange horse riding, quad-biking or canyoning, or to point you to nearby golf clubs
- Kayak down the River Sella. Half-day courses can be booked via local tour operators, and there’s also a kayaking festival in August, which is thought to be on a par with Pamplona’s Running of the Bulls for its raucousness
- Visit the coast of the dinosaurs, where you can walk in their footprints and learn all about them at the Jurassic Museum of Asturias (MUJA) near Lastres, a 30-minute drive away. Since 2005, palaeontologists have unearthed dinosaur fossils and footprints between here and Ribadesella, and all along the coast
- Marvel at some of the oldest art in the world at Tito Bustillo Caves, walking distance from La Calma, where prehistoric cave paintings cover the Palaeolithic cave walls and date back to 22,000 BC
- Enjoy the region’s specialities, including cider brewed in rural cideries and poured from a great height in cider bars along the river in Ribadesella, accompanied by a variety of tapas
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Quad biking
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Casa La Calma is set in a small rural town called Junco, which is 3km from the centre of Ribadesella in the Asturias region of northern Spain. It's around 2 hours west of Bilbao, on the Costa Verde.
There are a number of local options for air travel. Asturias Airport is an hour away (100km), as is Santander (123km). Bilbao is 2 hours away.
From the Airport
Casa La Calma doesn't offer transfers, but in any case we'd definitely recommend hiring a car so you can explore the area.
If you don't want to fly from the UK, Brittany Ferries runs services from Portsmouth and Plymouth to Santander, an hour’s drive from the hotel. Ferries take approximately 20 hours from Plymouth and 24 hours from Portsmouth.
Having a car will allow you to access restaurants, the Picos de Europa, the beaches and the rural cideries, so is recommended. See our car rental recommendations. There is free parking available at the B&B.
It is possible to visit by public transport, but the bus and rail networks are a little patchy. There is a train station in Ribadesella, with main stations in Gijón, Oviedo and Santander. From there you can take a taxi.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
- Asturias 100.0 km OVD
- Santander 123.0 km SDR
- Beach 2.5 km
- Shops 3.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km