“A collection of cottages for 2-11, in an ancient hilltop village close to the Spanish border; self-cater or enjoy creative cuisine”
Casas do Coro is a collection of granite houses and eco cabins, with a shared pool, garden and restaurant. A couple are cosy hideaways for 2, but most are bigger and split into self-contained rooms with kitchenettes, or have a shared kitchen for a group rental. But we'd forget self-catering - what makes a stay here doubly special is the inspired cuisine: dine here on a balmy summer night and the memory will stay with you for years to come.
- Marialva is a listed National Heritage site, and the castle ruins are incredible
- Romantic and indulgent; candelit dinners, breakfast served whenever you want, a double daybed area above the pool (stargaze here at night), and a new open-air sunset lounge
- Delightful owners and very kind, attentive staff; nothing is too much trouble
- Great food (home cooking with gourmet flourishes); or you can self cater
- Suits both couples and larger groups/families
- No restaurants or shops in the village
- Not all accommodation has self-catering facilities, and the restaurant doesn't open until 8pm
- Not ideal for toddlers - an unheated pool, lots of unprotected drops and no kids' meals
- Some rooms are flouncy, others a bit tired, but there's such a range of styles that you'll find something you love
- Marialva? You may not have heard of it but this is a fascinating region and just 2.5 hours from Porto
- High chairs
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
Baby monitors will stretch from some rooms/houses to the restaurant, but not all. Please ask for a room nearby if you plan to leave the little'un as walls are very thick, and distances are big.
All the houses have kitchens or kitchenettes with microwaves, hobs and fridges (if you're booking 1 room in a shared house, check you will have access to a kitchen/ette if you need one; we didn't get one when we stayed with our toddler as there was a group booking in the rest of the house, and it made life tricky). The nearest grocery shop is a short drive away in Meda; there isn't one in the village.
- Swimming pool (unheated)
- DVD player
- Coa Valley Archaeological Museum and Park
- Mountain bike trails (borrow from the cottages)
- Boat trips on the Douro
- Rural Resort
- 13 houses (with rooms + suites)
- Breakfast incl; some self catering; restaurant
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Creche / Kids Club
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Tennis Court
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry Service
Casas do Coro grew organically, as owners Carmen and Paolo slowly restored several village houses. This gradual evolution is mirrored in the varying decorative styles.
In some houses, rooms are let on an individual basis and have a kitchenette; they share a large sitting room. In others, rooms share a common kitchen and living room: these would be the obvious choice for groups of family or friends. Casa do Coro is the only house without any kitchen facilities (although if you rent one suite in a house otherwise occupied by a group, you may not get a kitchen; ask if this is important to you). See Rates for detailed descriptions.
The interiors reflect Carmen's love of antiques and country-style. There are antique bedside table and dressers, retro bedside lamps, stunning chandeliers, chaise-longues, ottomans and ornate headboards. Vast, ridiculously comfy beds are dressed with hand-embroidered sheets and quilted throws, there are masses of framed prints.
We adored the newer pod-like units - Casa Palhal da Torre do Monte and Casa da Torre do Relógio - which have more contemporary interiors. Their glass frontages bring in the views, and they have oodles of honeymoon appeal (they also have little bunk rooms if you're bringing the kids). Hidden across the valley is an eco suite, dos Bogalhais, a gorgeous secluded cabin that's perfect for romance.
Some bedrooms have fireplaces and each of the houses, apart from Casa do Relogio, has a wood-burning stove: it can get very cold up here in winter. Bathrooms have tubs (some hydro-massage) and/showers and fragrant Damana toiletries.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
It's a real treat to eat so well in such a remote corner of the country. By day, tuck into light lunches with organic vegetables from the garden on the sunny terrace at View Day Restaurant, located next to the pool.
Once the sun goes down, dozens of candles are lit (candelabras inside, lanterns in the garden) and tables are dressed in thick linen cloths; the ambiance is very romantic. Dinners follow a daily changing 4-course menu and the house wines included in the price are from the Douro; all are excellent. There's also a wine list if you fancy picking out a more special bottle. We started with homemade olive bread, followed by scrummy sauteed mushrooms with bacon and an egg yolk. Partridge and leek gratin was unusual and delicious, and there was a choice of several different homemade desserts.
The buffet breakfasts are every bit as special, and served as late as you like. There are home-baked breads and treats, beautiful fresh juices, and delicious homemade jams (the honeyed greengage is amazing). Although you can order cooked options, we didn't bother, instead filling up on gingerbread and goji berry granolas with yoghurt and fresh mango.
Self-catering wise, the rooms and houses have a mix of kitchenettes and shared kitchens. The kitchenettes are smaller, with basic facilities - microwave, oven, stovetop, a couple of pans, a fridge and a full set of crockery. Kitchens have all this plus a dishwasher, kettle, coffee maker, and more space. Each house has a table in its living room where you can sit and eat, and you can shop for groceries in Meda, 7km away. There are a couple of restaurants in Meda, should you want a change of scene.
- Children's meals
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Chill by the pool, dip in the Jacuzzi, relax in the open-air Sunset Lounge, or stargaze in the Secret Spots daybed area; this place is all about indulgent R&R
- The spa is simply amazing; you can easily spend a whole day in its relaxed living areas (sofas, coffee-table books), treatment rooms, panoramic sauna, Turkish bath and exercise pool
- Don't miss the castle, one of the highlights of our stay. CdC guests get free entry, and we had the incredible ruins all to ourselves as the sun set; magical
- Have a game of tennis or get your hiking boots on; there are walking trails leading out of the village
- Visit the stunning Côa Valley Archaeological Museum and Park (see Author Tip), home to some of the world's most remarkable rock paintings
- Take a boat trip on the Douro from nearby Pocinho: there's no better way to see the river and many trips offer lunch on board as well as port tastings
- Borrow a mountain bike and follow a network of tracks and quiet roads out from Marialva
- Visit the historic hilltop towns of Almeida, Castelo Mendo, Castelo Rodrigo and Linhares
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Port tasting
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
Casas do Coro is at the eastern end of the Beiras, close to the border with Spain. Lisbon is 350km distant - about a 4.5-hour drive - whilst Porto is about 230km away, some 2.5 hours by car. Salamanca in Spain can be reached in about the same time whilst Madrid is a little under 5 hours away.
Oporto (Porto) is the closest airport, though some fly into Lisbon.
From the Airport
There are no airport transfers available, and given the lack of public transport in the area a car is essential, especially if you wish to visit the historic fortified villages of this fascinating area and take in the rock paintings of the Foz Côa Park, which are well off the beaten track.
See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Oporto (Porto) 230.0 km OPO
- Lisbon 350.0 km LIS
- Beach 180.0 km
- Shops 7.0 km
- Restaurant 7.0 km