“One of the coolest boltholes in the land - a magnificent cowboy-kitsch barn conversion in deepest Norfolk (sleeps 18-20)”
Three playfully renovated barns encircle a central courtyard. In keeping with the Western theme - which the owners describe as 'Rancho Deluxe' - you get soaring wooden ceilings, slate floors covered with Aztec rugs, cowhide chairs, the odd straw Stetson and moose heads hanging from exposed stone walls. Turn left and you find a fleet of eclectic and fun rooms, each with their own cowboy character; turn right and you discover an enormous sitting room, with a vast stone fireplace.
Best of all is the courtyard. In summer it’s the hub of the house - potter out for a game of ping pong, a soak in the hot tub, or to throw some sausages onto the barbecue. Back inside, the sitting room comes with loads to entertain you: piles of books, mountains of games (some in giant versions), a hifi and WiFi. As for the kitchen, it’s got everything you’ll need, though you may not need it at all as a chef can come in to cook for you. It’s out of this world, so gather a group of friends and come for a big weekend.
- The Wild West design: kitsch, colourful and cool, but you feel at home immediately
- The 8 bedrooms would fit in any boutique hotel - there are 5 doubles (4 ensuite), 2 twin/doubles, a Bunk House with 4 bunkbeds, and 2 additional shared bathrooms
- A really well-equipped kitchen for self catering, as well as good gastro pubs nearby
- The courtyard is hidden from the world, a perfect spot in summer
- Ideal for families, hen and house parties or multi-generational gatherings - with a hot tub, garden, games and a BBQ there's something for everyone
- The hotel has recently undergone new management and lots of changes are taking place. We'll keep you updated as soon as we hear more...
- Fully non refundable in the event of cancellation, except in exceptional circumstances and with supporting documentation
- Marham Airbase is close, but the planes don’t fly at weekends
- The coast is a bit of a schlep - about 30 km north
- The village is fine, but you wouldn’t put a picture of it on a chocolate box
Best time to go
Our top tips
- House Rental
- Self-catering (chef on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
One room is beyond the sitting room, all the rest are on the other side of the house. The style is simple, but Dallas-fantastic and never short on beauty: stone walls, wooden ceilings, funky colours, the best linen. Slate floors run throughout with underfloor heating.
Frontier has a four-poster that appears to have been made from branches; doors here open onto the back garden, while a free-standing bath waits in an airy bathroom. Cabana at the back looks onto the courtyard and has a free-standing bath in the room. Prairie comes in deep red and has saddles draped over beams. A couple have sofas.
Four are ensuite (Hacienda and Prairie have shower bathrooms) while Bunk House shares a bathroom )which has a large slate-clad bath) with the Bunk Room (perfect for families, sleeping 6 between them), and Cabin and Corral share a bathroom (walk-in shower, claw-foot bath). For friends or family, this isn’t a problem. All come with bathrobes and Ren lotions and potions.
There's also a tepee in the garden in which (in good summer weather) additional guests can camp out overnight at no extra charge.
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Ipod dock
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
You eat at an enormous table in the vast airy hall (the dining room is on one side of the front door, sofas and armchairs wait in front of an open fire on the other).
There are options galore. You can look after yourself entirely - there are supermarkets in Swaffham (6km east) and King’s Lynn (13km west). The kitchen is well-equipped so all cutlery, utensils and tableware is provided - including a large larder, catering fridge, food processor and good quality knives and saucepans - and washing up liquid, bin bags, tea, coffee, spices and cooking oil. If you're arriving late at night or want to ease into your holiday, a grocery shop to order can be done for you.
If you want to venture forth to sample local eateries, there's an excellent Chinese restaurant in the Old Swan Pub in Narborough. And slightly further afield is the lovely gastropub Ostrich in Castle Acre, or The Berney Arms in Barton Bendish, which is a very good country pub with very good food. The Windmill in Great Cressingham is a charming country inn with traditional pub food, while the Dabbling Duck in Great Massingham is a very stylish country pub noted for its Sunday lunch.
Alternatively, the owners can recommend local caterers to rustle up an epic 3-course meal. The fact is, you can mix and match - have a delightful evening meal out one night, look after yourself the next, be pampered completely at the end.
- Chef on request
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Vegetarian menu
- The north Norfolk coast is about 30km away, but you can potter up on pretty back roads. You’ll find old-fashioned English seaside bliss with rock pools, miles of sand, country pubs and a vast sky. Kitesurfing can be arranged at Hunstanton beach
- The Brecks are close, a lost land of forest and heath. It is one of those inexplicably unsung parts of Britain, but it teems with fascinating wildlife and is well worth a trip. There’s great mountain biking here too
- Birding is superb on the coast - head for the RSPB reserves at Titchwell and Snettisham and walk to or alongside the sea for waders, owls and harriers
- Visit the common or grey seals at Blakeney harbour or Morston Quay, February-October; trips can be arranged
- Go canoeing on the Norfolk Broads - about an hour's drive away
- The outskirts of King’s Lynn can hardly be described as attractive, but penetrate the middle and find its medieval epicentre. In the 14th century the town was one of England’s chief ports, part of the Hanseatic League. The architecture is stunning
- Cliff Barns can arrange any number of entertainments such as Murder Mystery Weekends/Parties, a bucking bronco, casino, live music, themed parties, beauty treatments and massage. Fancy dress box provided
- For something very different, a 30-minute drive will bring you to Kate's Pottery Masterclass where you can throw a pot on a potter's wheel and make interesting shapes
- Some great golf courses are available to those who must. Best of all the 3-links courses: Brancaster (the closest), Cromer (the smartest) and Sherringham (the most dramatic, with part of the course running along cliffs)
- Adrenaline junkies can indulge in Go-Kart racing or ziplining; details supplied on request
- Country pursuits to try include fishing and sailing, keen gun-slingers can emulate an OK Corral shoot-out with clay pigeons
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Art classes
- Go-Kart racing
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Themed parties
- Well being
- Zip lining
Cliff Barns welcomes families with children of all ages. We particularly like the fact that it's all on 1 level, so there are no pesky stairs for toddlers to fall down; the central courtyard is also secure so kids can play there unattended. It's also dog and pushchair friendly and the owners can put a teepee in the garden in the summer.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Kids would love the Bunk Room - 2 bunkbeds sleeping 4. This room shares a large bathroom (big slate bath with shower, perfect for muddy kids) with the neighbouring double, Bunk House, presumably for parents. Frontier, Hacienda and Prairie can fit an extra bed and there is a twin room if you need it too.
There's a registered childminder available if needed - ask on booking.
Bring your own
- 2 cots
- 2 high chairs
- Bottle warming
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
It's self-catering with everything you need for tricky eaters, including a blender and microwave. Parents wanting a break from cooking can hire a local chef, get a takeaway or take the family out to eat in the nearby village.
Kids Activities on site:
- 4 acres of gardens to run around in
- Games for all ages, including Monopoly, chess and giant Connect 4
- Farm animals nearby
Kids Activities nearby:
- Snettisham Park in Kings Lynn for deer safaris, sheep shearing, farm tours and a lovely tea shop (30 minutes)
- Bewilderwood treehouse adventure park (1 hour)
- Seal-watching at Blakeney Point (1 hour)
- Norfolk Lavender, for lavender growing, rare breeds farmyard and a giant indoor play barn (30 minutes)
Families Should Know:
There's nothing particular to worry about, apart from the open fireplace and the fountain in the courtyard. You're only a short distance from the nearby village for all your provisions.
- Airport: 60 minutes (Stansted), 40 minutes (Norwich)
- Hospital: 25 minutes
- Doctor: in the village
Cliff Barns is found in Narborough Village, which is near Swaffham and not too far from King's Lynn in the heart of rural England in the county of Norfolk.
Fly to London Stansted (80km / 50 miles) - served by lots of airlines, including most of the low-cost carriers. Norwich has an international airport, but not as many airlines fly here. For a list of airlines serving both airports, click on the link at the bottom of the page.
From the Airport
A taxi from Stansted will cost about £65, from Norwich £35.
Downham Market is the nearest station; it takes about 19 minutes to drive the 20km distance. Downham Market connects directly to Cambridge and King's Lynn, and also to London King's Cross.
See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- London Stansted Airport 80.0 km STN
- Norwich International Airport 50.0 km NWI
- Beach 35.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.3 km