“Two super-stylish Cotswold staycations: a romantic cottage for 2-4 and a stunning family house for 8-11 (with pool)”
Selected for (and named after) their peaceful village locations, each cottage has been stunningly decorated by locally-born designer-entrepreneur Ben and his team. The result is luxury accommodation with tasteful interiors, high-spec fittings and quirky design touches. Living spaces are bright, fresh and open plan; bedrooms blend modern art with oak beams, exposed wood and stonework, and beautiful slate floors. At every turn, contemporary style has been seamlessly integrated with characterful original features. A short hop from chic Chipping Norton and the picture-perfect Tew hamlets, the cottages are an ideal base for exploring this Area of Natural Beauty and a welcome place to return after a hearty country walk or boozy gastropub lunch.
Information provided by Cotswold Boutique Hideaways on 21/07/2020.
Cleaning and hygiene
Extended cleaning protocols in line with Covid regulations
Check-in is now after 4 pm, check-out before 10 am
- The pool at Bloxham Hideaway is a big draw in summer, especially for families
- We loved the master bedroom of Long Compton Hideaway, which has a beautiful copper bathtub-for-2
- Other luxe touches include Bamford Spa toiletries, fluffy bathrobes, goosedown feather duvets, great books and games
- Kitchens are extremely well equipped for self-catering
- A welcome hamper of wine, local spirits and breakfast items (fresh eggs, bread, milk, local conserves) awaits in each cottage
- 3-night minimum stay
- Local village shops are very small. You'll need to stock up at a supermarket (a 10/15-minute drive away) for more substantial items
- So cosy you might not want to step outside and explore the beautiful countryside
- The pool at Bloxham Hideaway is only open May-October, and takes approx 12 hours to heat up; turn it on when you arrive!
Best time to go
Our top tips
On a cold spring day, we were the only visitors at Batsford Arboretum, and it was amazing to have it all to ourselves; snowdrops and daffodils were just coming into bud, and the trees were all frosty.”
- Boutique Cottages
- 2 cottages for 2-10
- Fully self-catering
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Board games
Long Compton Hideaway
We stayed in Long Compton Hideaway, an impossibly cute bolthole for 2-4. Huge mirrors and clever lighting give a cool contemporary feel while the thick stone walls and chunky wooden furniture are reassuringly traditional. On the ground floor, an open-plan kitchen/dining area leads through to a cosy lounge. The kitchen is very well equipped: besides the requisite hob, oven, crockery and utensils, we found Nespresso machine, dishwasher, measuring jugs, roasting pans, even a carving tray. Basic ingredients are provided (Oxo cubes, herbs, balsamic, that sort of thing), along with a welcome hamper of milk, butter, homemade jam, coffee pods, eggs and fresh bread.
Up the wooden stairs, the 2 elegant bedrooms both have ensuite shower bathrooms, but the master steals the show with an opulent copper bathtub in the room.
If you want to eat out, The Red Lion is a good dog-friendly boozer a short stroll from the cottage.
Basic ingredients are provided (Oxo cubes, herbs, balsamic, that sort of thing), along with a welcome hamper of milk, butter, homemade jam, coffee pods and eggs. A fresh loaf sits on a heavy wooden board while a bottle of sparkling wine awaits in the fridge. of all the cottages. Or head to nearby supermarkets in Chipping Norton or Stow-on-the-Wold for extra supplies (both towns also have excellent restaurants).
If you're a large family (or two) looking for a chic holiday cottage in the Cotswolds, this contemporary 5-bedroom house fits the bill perfectly. The spacious kitchen and dining room offer sociable dining; there are 3 lounges to hang out (including an adults' only snug with a fireplace, and a kids TV room), and the large garden is amazing for families, with a climbing frame, trampoline, BBQ and heated pool. The master bedroom has an ensuite; the second bedroom has a gorgeous in-room rolltop tub, and the other bedrooms (another double and a twin for adults, a bunkbed room for 2-3 kids) share a high-spec family bathroom.
Bloxham Hideaway is close to 2 great pubs: another Red Lion and the Joiner's Arms.
- The outdoor swimming pool at Bloxham Hideaway is a big draw in summer
- Wonderful walks nearby include the woodlands around the postcard-perfect hamlet of Great Tew; and the ancient Rollright Stones on an undulating ridge near Long Compton
- History buffs will love Malmesbury Abbey and Woodchester Mansion (an unfinished Gothic revival house)
- Keen gardeners will enjoy Sudeley Castle, Highgrove and Kiftsgate Court Gardens; Broughton Castle Gardens (near Bloxham) are also open from time to time
- Families can make for Bourton-on-the-Water's Birdland Zoo, model railway and dragonfly maze, as well as the Cotswold Wildlife Park (160 acres of parklands)
- Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Winston Churchill, has gilded state halls, impressive artworks and 2000 acres of 'Capability' Brown landscaped parkland
- Daylesford, an award-winning and much-touted organic farm shop, is within 10 minutes' drive of both cottages
Children are welcome at both cottages, and the region is full of family-friendly activities, especially outdoorsy ones.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Bloxham Hideaway is the best for families, with 5 bedrooms, including a nursery with bunks, plus a twin room kids could sleep in. There's also a games room, and a massive garden with a heated pool, trampoline and climbing frame.
Long Compton Hideaway can accommodate a travel cot in the master bedroom (you'll need to bring your own cot), and has a second double bedroom which children could share (no twin beds, though). Overall, we think Long Compton Hideaway is best suited to babes in arms or 6+ year olds.
A baby cot and highchair on request (at Bloxham only)
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Board games at Bloxham Hideaway
- Games room with table football & ping pong at Bloxham Hideaway
- Heated pool, trampoline and climbing frame at Bloxham Hideaway
Kids Activities nearby:
- Adam Henson's Cotswold Farm Park
- Cotswold Wildlife Park & Gardens
- Cotswold Water Park
- Birdland Park & Gardens
- Giffords Circus (May-Sep)
- Berkeley Castle & Gardens
- Broughton Castle
- Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum
- Blenheim Palace
- Broadway Tower
- Chedworth Roman Villa
Families Should Know:
The cottages have lots of gorgeous things at snatching level!
- Airport: 1.5 hrs (Heathrow)
- Shops: 5-10 minutes' drive
The cottages are in the charming Cotswolds villages of Long Compton and Bloxham, in Oxfordshire.
See both cottages on a Google map
London Heathrow is your best bet if arriving from overseas; Bristol and Birmingham also receive international flights. There is a small airfield outside Oxford, which receives private flights if you're feeling flush.
It's easiest to arrive by car, and there is normally on-street parking. The approximate driving time from London is 1.5 hours, likewise Birmingham or Bristol. See our car rental recommendations.
The nearest train station to Long Compton is Kingham, which is connected to London Paddington by direct trains (journey time approx 1h15). Bloxham's nearest station is Banbury (4 miles).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- London Heathrow 111.0 km LHR
- Bristol 122.0 km BRS
- Beach 150.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km