“2 romantic cottages for 2-4 and 2 picturesque large family houses; perfect for a stylish staycation in the heart of the Cotswolds”
Specially selected for (and named after) their peaceful village locations, each cottage is designed to be a cosy yet comfortable home from home. The bespoke spaces have been transformed from humble thatched dwellings and disused barns into luxury accommodation with tasteful interiors, high-spec fittings and quirky design touches. From gorgeous copper bathtubs and modern art, to timber rafters and beautiful slate floors, contemporary style has been seamlessly integrated with characterful original features. A short hop from Stow-on-the-Wold – the quintessential Cotswolds village – the cottages are an ideal base for exploring this Area of Natural Beauty and a welcome place to return after a hearty country walk or boozy gastropub lunch.
- Living spaces are bright, fresh and open plan, carefully designed to be both practical and stylish
- We loved the bedrooms which blend arty decor with oak beams, exposed wood and stonework; the master bedroom of Long Compton Hideaway has a beautiful copper bathtub-for-2
- Lovely details: great books to read; games, quirky art, Bamford Spa toiletries, fluffy bathrobes and goosedown feather duvets
- Kitchens are extremely well equipped for self-catering
- A welcome hamper of wine, local spirits and breakfast items (fresh eggs, bread, milk, local conserves) provided in each cottage
- 3-night minimum stay
- Local village shops are very small. You'll need to stock up at a supermarket (a 10/15-minute drive away) for more substantial items
- So cosy you might not want to step outside and explore the beautiful countryside
- The pool at Bloxham Hideaway is only open May-October, and takes approx 12 hours to heat up; turn it on when you arrive!
- Bledington Hideaway does not have access to its adjacent garden area, but is next door to lovely Bledington Green for kids to run about
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Cottages
- 4 cottages for 2-10
- Fully self-catering
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Board games
Of these 4 chic retreats, the largest is Bloxham Hideaway. We’ve been looking for a boutique group getaway in the Cotswolds for years, and this contemporary 5-bedroom house fits the bill perfectly. The spacious kitchen and dining room offer sociable dining; there are 3 lounges to hang out (including an adults' only snug with a fireplace, and a kids TV room), and the large garden is amazing for families, with a climbing frame, trampoline, BBQ and heated pool. The master bedroom has an ensuite; the second bedroom has a gorgeous in-room rolltop tub, and the 3 other bedrooms (a twin for adults, a bunkbed room for 2-3 kids, and a single with an additional cotbed) share a high-spec family bathroom.
From the outside, Churchill Hideaway is a quintessential thatched cottage dating back 300 years. But step through the duck-egg blue front door and the interior feels surprisingly light and spacious. Exposed beams, ancient stone walls and slate floors are brought stylishly up to date with Balinese furniture, bold paintings and chrome fixtures. Two beautiful double bedrooms have huge custom-built beds to accommodate 2 couples, while the shared bathroom with walk-in shower and copper bath tub is one of the best we’ve seen.
We stayed in Long Compton Hideaway, an impossibly cute bolthole for 2-4. Huge mirrors and clever lighting give a cool contemporary feel while the thick stone walls and chunky wooden furniture are reassuringly traditional. On the ground floor, an open-plan kitchen/dining area leads through to a cosy lounge. Up the wooden stairs, the 2 elegant bedrooms both have ensuite shower bathrooms, but the master steals the show with an opulent copper bathtub in the room.
A gorgeous new addition, Bledington Hideaway is a large barn conversion with exposed Cotswold stone and restored oak beams. Downstairs, there's a plush living/dining room with lofty ceilings and huge windows overlooking a pretty garden; across the hall is a bright kitchen with Gaggenau appliances. Going up, you'll find an ensuite master bedroom, two further bedrooms (one with twin beds) and a family bathroom. Look out for original features that have been artfully transformed into quirky additions: the old cowshed window is now the bathroom mirror and the hay loft ladder functions as a towel rail.
- Basic ingredients provided
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Ipod dock
- Private garden
- Satellite TV
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Woodburner + logs
All the cottages have well-equipped kitchens with everything you need to properly cook rather than just heat things up. As well as the requisite hob, oven, crockery and utensils, we found Nespresso machines, dishwashers, measuring jugs, roasting pans, even a carving tray. Most of the hideaways have barbecues for dining alfresco on warm evenings.
Basic ingredients are provided (Oxo cubes, herbs, balsamic, that sort of thing), along with a welcome hamper of milk, butter, homemade jam, coffee pods and eggs. A fresh loaf sits on a heavy wooden board while a bottle of sparkling wine awaits in the fridge. Daylesford, an award-winning organic farm shop, is within 10 minutes' drive of all the cottages. Or head to nearby supermarkets in Chipping Norton or Stow-on-the-Wold for extra supplies (both towns also have excellent restaurants).
If you fancy checking out the region's famed gastropubs, you won’t be stuck for options. Just up the road from Churchill Hideaway, The Chequers is one of the best pubs in the Cotswolds. A few steps from Bledington Hideaway is The King's Head Inn, which has a lovely terrace overlooking the village green. The Red Lion near Long Compton Hideaway is a dog-friendly boozer a short stroll from the cottage. Bloxham Hideaway is close to 2 great pubs: another Red Lion and the Joiner's Arms.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- The delightful town of Kingham - oft called the 'darling of the Cotswolds' - has 17th-century thatched cottages around a village green, and 2 excellent foodie pubs, The Wild Rabbit and The Plough
- Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Winston Churchill, has gilded state halls, impressive artworks and 2000 acres of 'Capability' Brown landscaped parkland
- On a cold January day, we were the only visitors at Batsford Arboretum, and it was amazing to have it all to ourselves; snowdrops and daffodils were just coming into bud, and the trees were all frosty. Autumn is, of course, splendid here
- The area has wonderful walking, including the 100-mile-long Cotswolds Way
- History buffs will love Malmesbury Abbey and Woodchester Mansion (an unfinished Gothic revival house); don't miss the ancient Rollright Stones near Long Compton.
- Keen gardeners will enjoy Sudeley Castle, Highgrove and Kiftsgate Court Gardens
- Bourton-on-the-Water's Birdland Zoo, model railway and dragonfly maze are great for families, as is the Cotswold Wildlife Park (160 acres of parklands)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children are welcome at all the cottages, though Long Compton Hideaway and Churchill Hideaway are best suited to babes in arms or 6+ year olds. Bledington Hideaway and Bloxham Hideaway are much more family-friendly: Bledington has 3 bedrooms and two terraces; Bloxham has 5 bedrooms, a games room, and a massive garden with a heated pool, trampoline and climbing frame.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Bloxham Hideaway is the best for families, with 5 bedrooms, 2 of which are for kids (there's a bunk-bed room, and a single room with an additional cotbed). There's also a twin room kids could sleep in. Bledington Hideaway has plenty of space, too, and can fit a travel cot in most bedrooms. Long Compton Hideaway and Churchill Hideaway can each accommodate a travel cot in the master bedroom, and have a second double bedroom, which children could share (no twin beds).
A baby cot and highchair to borrow on request (except at Long Compton Hideaway where parents with infants will have to bring their own travel cots)
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Board games at Churchill and Bloxham Hideaways
- Games room with table football & ping pong at Bloxham Hideaway
- Heated pool, trampoline and climbing frame at Bloxham Hideaway
Kids Activities nearby:
- Adam Henson's Cotswold Farm Park
- Cotswold Wildlife Park & Gardens
- Cotswold Water Park
- Birdland Park & Gardens
- Giffords Circus (May-Sep)
- Berkeley Castle & Gardens
- Broughton Castle
- Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum
- Blenheim Palace
- Broadway Tower
- Chedworth Roman Villa
Families Should Know:
The cottages have lots of gorgeous things at snatching level! Beware of the open staircase at Churchill Hideaway
- Airport: 1.5 hrs (Heathrow)
- Shops: 10 minutes' drive (Daylesford Farm Shop)
The cottages are in 4 charming Cotswolds villages in Oxfordshire.
See all 4 cottages on a Google map
London Heathrow is your best bet if arriving from overseas; Bristol and Birmingham also receive international flights. There is a small airfield outside Oxford, which receives private flights if you're feeling flush.
It's easiest to arrive by car, and there's on-street parking for 1 car. The approximate driving time from London is 1.5 hours, likewise Birmingham or Bristol. See our car rental recommendations.
The nearest train station to Long Compton, Churchill and Bledington is Kingham, which is connected to London Paddington by direct trains (journey time approx 1h15). Bloxham Hideaway's nearest station is Banbury (4 miles).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- London Heathrow 111.0 km LHR
- Bristol 122.0 km BRS
- Beach 150.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km