“A 16th-century mansion hidden away in Palma's central historic quarter, an ideal base for exploring the city”
Original features retain some of that character: high beamed ceilings, old portraits and antique furniture including some impressive Mallorquin beds in certain rooms. However Jacuzzi baths, satellite TV and WiFi bring the hotel into the 21st century. Those seeking respite from the bustling streets just outside can retire to the leafy courtyard filled with lemon and orange trees, or if you prefer the hubbub then excellent restaurants and tapas bars are an easy stroll away. Palma makes an ideal short break and Dalt Murada a well-placed (and well-priced) retreat for budget travellers seeking a night or two in the city between beach trips.
- A fantastic central location, minutes from the cathedral and just around the corner from a pretty little square and lots of great little boutiques and tapas bars
- Some of the larger rooms boast antique portraits and massive Baroque tapestries
- The cathedral-view roof terrace is a great (and surprisingly quiet) spot to admire the graceful lines of La Seu cathedral
- Value for money in a city where prices are on the rise - and locations don’t get much better than this
- The Suites are very spacious and well worth the upgrade
- Standard Rooms are small and feel rather hostel-like - we'd definitely advise getting a Superior or ideally a Suite if at all possible
- There's no sound insulation, so light sleepers may hear church bells chime and other guests throughout the night
- We've had mixed feedback about the service and staff friendliness
- As with most places in the Old Town, narrow lanes make it impossible to park nearby, and taxis may not drop you to the door
- Some rooms need a little TLC and facilities like air-con updated
Best time to go
There are plenty of festivals in Palma, including processions during Easter week, bonfires and concerts on the feast day of St. Sebastian (19 January), and various free open-air concerts or films around the city in summer.”
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast only (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 23 rooms vary in greatly size, shape and standard. Some were refurbed a number of years ago to look lighter and cleaner; a few still feel dark and dated, so it's worth booking the best you can afford.
We stayed in a refurbed Superior just off the rooftop terrace; it was fairly basic but fitted with charming old Mallorcan furniture, was bright and airy with wooden beams and terracotta flooring, and had a big window with amazing views of the cathedral.
All Superior Doubles have views of either the cathedral, Almudaina lane or the garden courtyard; some also have small balconies. We liked room 201, which had a beautiful antique four-poster bed and high ceilings; some have a Jacuzzi tub, too.
The 2 Suites on the second floor are well worth the upgrade: beautifully decorated, with plenty of space (each has a separate sitting room with sofabed, making them ideal for families), and a small balcony overlooking the courtyard and cathedral. The ensuites have a bathtub and a hand-held shower; 202 has a Jacuzzi tub. 203 is the penthouse.
The Standard Double rooms will suit those on a budget, though it's pot luck as to which you get. Some are reasonably light and airy; others feel small, basic and rather dark. Four have views of the cathedral, but you're just as likely to get one that overlooks the narrow lane alongside the hotel.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Satellite TV
A simple Mallorcan breakfast is served in the courtyard garden or the dining room. The buffet included jamon and manchego, sliced tomatoes, boiled eggs, fresh pears and melon. Though the tea was a bit weak and the OJ bottled, it is worth the modest surcharge; and we enjoyed the serene patio setting.
There's a limited bar, but Dalt Murada doesn't serve other meals. Luckily, there there are plentiful restaurants within walking distance, from tapas bars to fine dining.
- Restaurants nearby
- Palma has a wealth of historical and cultural sites; the Cathedral and the Almudaina Palace are barely a minute's walk away
- Walk along Paseo Dalt Murada, the old high walls alongside the cathedral
- Shop until you drop in the many wonderful shops around the Born, 5-10 mins' walk: we loved the chic summer clothing, arty stationery and jamon iberico
- Visit an art gallery - the Fundacio de Caixa or Juan Miro's old house are recommended
- Have a cocktail at Palma’s most famous bar, Abaco, a beautiful old Moorish palace filled with art, music, fruit and flowers
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome. One of the Suites has a double sofabed in the sitting room; the other has 2 single sofabeds. All other rooms can accommodate a baby cot (free of charge); some Superior rooms can fit an extra single bed (extra cost).
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Dalt Murada is in the heart of Palma, the capital of Mallorca. It is minutes away from the town hall, the cathedral and all the major shops and restaurants.
Fly into Palma Airport (7km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
We would recommend taking a taxi from the airport rather than hiring a car as parking near the hotel is difficult. There are plenty of taxis in front of the arrivals building and the journey should take about 15 minutes.
If you are hiring your own car, be warned that the nearest parking is a 10-minute walk away from the hotel. Directions are given on booking. If you plan to tour the island afterwards, we recommend that you collect your hire car on the day of departure from Dalt Murada (you don't need a car in Palma as everthing is close by). See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions are provided when booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 7.0 km PMI
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km