“A seductively peaceful hideaway for wine lovers and sybarites: book the whole house (sleeps 6-12+) or stay B&B (outside peak season)”
A stylish refurb in the noughties brought it tastefully up-to-date. The chic white grand salon comes with a huge hearth, a grand piano, leather sofas and twin chandeliers. There's a library ,a dining room for 12, and a separate living area in the Bastide wing, complete with cinema room and its own kitchen. Outside are semi-formal gardens with a lovely pool, parasol-shaded tables and loungers, towering Washingtonia palms, Aleppo pines, and ivy-draped walls. It's all very handsome and unmistakably Mediterranean.
Accommodation is flexible. You can rent the 3-bedroom Bastide or the whole Domaine (6-7 bedrooms) for a week; or, outside summer, an individual bedroom on a nightly chambres d'hotes basis, with breakfast.
- A peaceful location, but with beaches, hills, lakes and the beguiling towns of Beziers, Pezenas and Sète close by
- We loved the feeling of staying in a manicured and elegant home - not the slightest hint of hotel
- Top spec fittings include sound systems, satellite TV, fast WiFi, cinema room and super-comfy beds & linens
- You get a very interesting tour of the winery, with a chance to taste their award-winning wines and (if you book through i-escape) a complimentary bottle
- Add-on servcies include private chef, laundry, patisserie deliveries and more
- Individual room bookings can be made only within 3 months of arrival
- During July and August, they only accept weekly bookings for the whole house (6-7 rooms)
- If booking an individual room, be aware that service is more B&B level than hotel, and meals are limited to breakfast (and dinner by prior arrangement)
- You will need a car to get around
Best time to go
In July and August, this would make a wonderful house rental for a large party of 10-14, with plenty of space and seclusion to retreat from the holidaying masses. In August, don't miss the amazing water jousting festival of St. Louis in Sete, where two white-clad teams in beautiful wooden boats try to knock their opponent into the water using a wooden lance.”
Our top tips
- House rental (3-6 bedrooms) or B&B
- B&B or self-catering rental
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
Bedrooms - there are 3 in the main house, 3 in the Bastide wing, and a 7th add-on in a separate part if required - are all crisp and comfy, with percale linens and ensuite Villeroy & Boch bathrooms.
The 3 Bastide rooms - which are those usually offered to B&B guests - have high, shuttered windows looking onto the gardens and pool. If you rent the whole Bastide wing, you also get use of its living areas (including cinema room), kitchen and dining room: perfect for a family or 2 couples travelling together.
La chambre du Baron is the flagship: an enormous double with room aplenty for a chaise longue, and both east- and west-facing windows. We loved the bathroom with its wetroom, separate tub, oval window and exposed beams. Chevalier comes a close second, with some lovely festive touches: a crown chandelier, an enormous gilt-framed mirror above the marble fireplace, and a deep red double bed. It also has a lovely bathroom with a separate bath and rain shower. Chatelaine is smaller and less flamboyant, but retains its eye-catching floor tiles and venerable roof beams. The high garden-facing window helps maximise the feeling of space; an open-plan shower room leads directly off from the bedroom.
If you need more space, you can book the whole domaine, which includes the adjoining Art Deco wing. Here you'll find 3 more bedrooms: a spacious ground-floor twin or double room (Vigneron), a lovely master double bedroom with balcony overlooking the pool and grounds (Baroness), and a 3rd twin bedroom perfect for kids (General). This wing also comes with a more formal sitting room (grand piano, white-leather sofas and a huge hearth), as well as its own dining area - there will be plenty of space for different generations.
In a separate part, by the winery offices, is a 7th double / twin bedroom (with ensuite shower room) which can be added on request - best suited to staff or teenage children.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Satellite TV
Those booking the Bastide or Whole Domaine on an exclusive basis have full use of the well-equipped kitchen and can request additional catering. Try the famous local plateau of oysters, mussels and shrimps, washed down with different Saint Hilaire wines, naturellement. There's also a BBQ in the grounds for sunny suppers. The dining room in the Bastide spans the width of the house, with views to both courtyard and wooded gardens; in fine weather you can sit outside on the terrace in the shadow of a 200-year-old umbrella pine. There's also a second dining area in the Art Deco Wing.
If you've booked an individual room, the continental breakfasts include fresh orange juice, fruit salad, cheeses and cold cuts, cereals and yoghurts, homemade jams and delicious acacia honey, as well as first class coffee and leaf teas.
There are several restaurants within easy driving distance - ask for recommendations (and a taxi, if you intend to déguste).
- Chef on request
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Roam Saint Hilaire's 80 hectare estate on foot or by mountain bike; or follow their nature and sculpture walk
- Play petanque, dip in the pool, or browse the pastels and watercolours on display in their own impressive gallery space
- Head for the water: you're just 10 minutes from the Bassin de Thau and 25 from the long white beach of Marseillan
- Browse for antiques in nearby Pezenas, Molière’s former stomping ground; or explore the gorgeous fishing port of Sète
- Watch the bull fighting at Béziers, admire its cathedral and gardens, walk or boat along the Canal du Midi
- Enjoy the grandiose architecture of Montpellier's places, its Corum concert hall, its historic quartiers and its Sunday flea market
- Fish for sea bass on the Bassin de Thau and end your day with oysters and chilled white wine at one of its seafood restaurants
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
This would make a fantastic and memorable venue for an extended family holiday, with a heated pool, safe walled gardens, and lots of space (indoor and out) for everyone to relax without stepping on each other's toes. If you're coming with a group of 8 or more, book the Whole Domaine, and you get 2 separate dining and living areas (including a cinema room). If you're just one family, or two families travelling together and happy to share one living space, book the Bastide Wing (normally available Jan-June and Sept-Dec only).
Family friendly accommodation:
If you are booking on a B&B basis, Baron can fit an extra bed, while Baroness (double) + General (twin) pair easily for a family of 4. Most rooms can fit a cot.
Baby cot available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Board games, DVDs, Playstation
- Football and badminton equipment
- Bikes to borrow
- Pool toys
- Marked trails through the Domaine's vineyards and woods
Kids Activities nearby:
Families Should Know:
The pool is not fenced or gated. There are no stair gates inside the house
- Airport: 30km (Beziers)
- Shops and restaurants: 6km (Montagnac)
- Beach: 22km (Marseillan)