“Laid-back beachfront hotel in the surfers’ mecca of Puerto Escondido”
The town's biggest swimming beach is just outside the hotel's front door or, if you prefer your bathing without the waves, there's a small sun-baked pool on the roof. Afterwards, grab a beer from the terrace bar, loll in one of the hammocks and enjoy the sunset. Then head downstairs to sample the delicious and varied cuisine at Flor de Maria's restaurant - one of the most popular in town - before retiring to comfortable rooms overlooking a peaceful inner courtyard.
Information provided by Flor de Maria on 02/09/2020.
- Owners Paul and Joanne have created a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere; regular guests return year after year
- It's a stone’s throw from the largest swimming beach in Puerto Escondido
- The roof terrace is always cool and breezy, with great sunset views
- There's a covered parking area for those coming by vehicle
- Some of the furnishings are a bit dated and a freshening paint job in the rooms wouldn't go amiss
- The restaurant is only open from mid-December to mid-March, though there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance
- The burnt-down and abandoned cabanas in front of the hotel are a bit of an eyesore
- The small rooftop pool is more for cooling off than for serious swimming
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant (open mid-December to mid-March) and bar
- Over 12s welcome
- Closed: 25 Nov 2020 - 31 Dec 2020
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
All of the rooms have 2 double beds, which will suit both couples and friends travelling together. They're clean and comfortable but rather basic - no TV and just one bedside table and reading lamp. Our room had glass doors that opened onto a tiny balcony overlooking the street; other rooms lead directly onto the plant-filled inner courtyard or the roof terrace. Some of the slightly larger corner rooms have sea views. All have overhead ceiling fans (there’s no air conditioning at the hotel) and showers with piping hot water; purified drinking water is available on each floor.
When owners Paul and Joanne bought the hotel more than a decade ago they kept the previous owner’s flower and animal paintings, which adorn doors and walls, as well as the large mural in the restaurant. These, and the traditional hand-woven multicoloured bedcovers from Oaxaca, give the place a faded charm reminiscent of days past. But with WiFi in all rooms, Flor de Maria has kept up its modern side too.
- Safe box
The cheap-and-cheerful restaurant is run by Joanne, who used to manage her own café in Toronto specialising in Peruvian dishes. She uses some of the same ideas here - marinading all the meat and chicken before it’s cooked, and grilling most of the dishes.
The menu varies with the season - comfort food like chicken curry or beef stew in high season, and national favourites such as chilles rellenos and ropa vieja (literally 'old clothes' - flank steak boiled and shredded, then steamed with tomatoes and onions) on national holidays. But don’t expect nouveau Mexican cuisine - this is home-cooked food, unpretentiously plated and very reasonably priced.
There are always vegetarian options, soups and something Italian on the chalkboard menu, too. We tried the spaghetti bolognese one night - it was very tasty, but the portion size was somewhat on the meagre side.
If you want to eat out, there's a selection of pizza and pasta joints, upmarket Mexican restaurants, small cafés and juice bars within walking distance. Danny’s Terrace has good shrimp tacos and makes great Bloody Caesars (vodka with Clamato juice and hot sauce).
Please note that the hotel restaurant is only open from mid-December to mid-March.
- Restaurants nearby
- Go on a fishing or turtle-watching trip (staff can help with arrangements)
- Take a tour of the nearby freshwater lagoons and the bird sanctuaries at Manialtepec and Chacahua
- Visit the crocodiles at the Ventanilla lagoon
- Surf on Zicatela beach
- Book a massage and temazcal (native sweat bath) at the local sweat lodge
- Hire a car and tour the pretty villages around Puerto Escondido
- Swim at the longest swimming beach in town - just outside your front door
- Laze on the roof terrace, swinging in a hammock with a cocktail
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Horse riding
- Language courses
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
No children under 12 are accepted. Those over 12 are treated as full paying guests, and no extra beds are available.
Teens (over 12)
Flor de Maria is located in the town of Puerto Escondido, on Mexico's southern Pacific coast.
Puerto Escondido (3km away) is the nearest airport. It's served by 1 or 2 flights a day from Mexico City (a flying time of an hour) and Oaxaca Xoxocotlán International (a flying time of 40 minutes). You can also fly into Bahías de Huatulco International (99km away), which has several domestic and international links.
Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving all these airports.
From the Airport
From Puerto Escondido and Bahías de Huatulco airports you can hire a car (see below) or use the van service (collectivo). You can also drive from Oaxaca Xoxocotlán to the hotel (a journey of around 4 hours).
Having the use of a car makes exploring further afield easier, but watch out for the potholed roads - see our car rental recommendations.
It's a very easy drive from Puerto Escondido airport to the hotel. If driving from Bahías de Huatulco, head along Highway 175 via Pochutla. If you're coming along Highway 200 from Acapulco the drive is around 5 hours.
There are several buses daily to/from Oaxaca (the journey takes 8-10 hours), Mexico City (12+ hours), Acapulco (6-7 hours), Huatulco (4 hours) and Pochutla (1 hour). Buses also go to San Cristóbal de las Casas and Tuxtla Guitierrez.
Detailed directions to the hotel are provided with confirmed bookings.
More on getting to Mexico and getting around
- Puerto Escondido 3.0 km PXM
- Bahías de Huatulco International 99.0 km HUX
- Beach 0.2 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km