“A deeply luxurious stone-and-glass hotel on the shore of Lake Llanquihue, with volcanic vistas, a spoiling spa and on-your-doorstep outdoor pursuits”
Incredible views of the white-topped Osorno Volcano dominate in the 15 spacious and stylish rooms and suites, all with statement-making rustic décor, liberal creature comforts and planet-kind extras. There’s also attentive staff (the owner has a summer home right next door), a superb restaurant for regional dishes paired with Chilean wines, and an atmospheric spa featuring a magnificent glass-walled swimming pool with ravishing views. But the real superstar is the setting, and you’d be remiss if you didn’t make the most of seeing and doing as much as possible in this adventurist’s playground.
- A game-changing hotel with astonishing views from every spot - all 15 rooms gaze out over the lake and out towards Osorno Volcano
- An architectural masterpiece - everything is designed by the owner, an architect with a love of glass, stone and volcanic-rock interiors
- The regional menu is extremely impressive and the selection of Chilean wines isn’t bad either
- The smart spa’s glass-walled pool is a true marvel
- Great eco-credentials: organic food, recycled glass and aluminium, a water treatment plant, plus hands-on social responsibility programmes
- The vibe is resolutely chilled so younger kids will need to be entertained here
- It’s 30 minutes from Puerto Varas so not ideal for those wanting walkable town access
- Interiors are impressive and local materials take centre stage; if you prefer glossy minimalism, look elsewhere.
- There’s no outdoor pool
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
The smart design style extends to the 11 rooms and four immaculate suites. All have floor-to-ceiling windows to maximise views of snow-topped Osorno Volcano and the dazzling lake. There’s also super-kingsize or twin beds (perfectly positioned to gaze out through the windows), decorative fireplaces, earthy colour palettes, eco-friendly LED lighting and meticulous use of Mapuche fabrics. The sleek en-suite bathrooms have power showers, roomy Jacuzzi bathtubs, fluffy bathrobes and organic bath products.
Measuring 75 sqm, Suites offer the most living space, with three of the four featuring balconies. There’s also a separate living area with a small bar, sofabed, coffee table and enough room for additional kids' beds if needed. The comfortable Superior Rooms are smaller at 45 sqm. and best suited to couples or families with young children. Both room types have all the mod cons you’ll want and need, including iPod docking stations and hair straighteners.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee maker
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The hotel’s all-day restaurant places a huge emphasis on dishes made with fresh, wholesome and organic ingredients - most of which are locally-sourced or grown in the hotel’s garden. Expect an exquisite and ever-changing seasonal menu that pays homage to the region’s culinary heritage (roast Patagonian lamb, succulent seafood, meat pies, empanadas) as well as seriously impressive Chilean wines picked by the trusted sommelier.
Breakfast is a high-end buffet affair of made-to-order eggs, fruit, fresh breads and pastries, cereals, juices and coffee. There’s also a bar for anytime cocktails as well as a smattering of places to relax with a glass of wine - by the fireplace in winter or outdoors when it’s nice and sunny.
- Coffee maker
- Take advantage of heaps of exciting excursions on offer, including birdwatching trips, seaplane flights, rafting, diving, trekking, mountain biking and visiting the region’s craft markets to learn about Mapuche culture.
- Explore the impossibly pretty town of Puerto Varas. Wander along the sweeping lakeside promenade, admire the remarkable Germanic architecture and take selfies outside the red-and-white Sacred Heart of Jesus Church.
- Borrow a bike from the hotel and hit the cycling trails around Lake Llanquihue, Chile’s second-largest lake famed for its calm waters and black-sand shores. You can also enjoy kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, swimming and beach picnics.
- Hike up the green slopes (or cheat and take the chairlift) leading to the snow-covered summit of Osorno Volcano. The ascent takes roughly six hours on foot, but the views are stupendous.
- Prepare to be dazzled by roaring turquoise waters tumbling over dark volcanic rock at Petrohué Waterfalls, one of the most photographed falls in the world.
- If you have nature-loving kids in tow, little beats a guided horseback ride through the forested mountains, flower-filled meadows and remote valleys.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Well being
Kids of all ages are welcome at Hotel Awa - and there’s little chance of them getting bored if you take full advantage of the fun-filled activities on offer. While limited child-friendly facilities are available on-site, the semi-Olympic size indoor pool is a delight and the gardens are glorious. The hotel’s 75KW photovoltaic power plant may also satisfy curious minds. There’s also highchairs for babies and reliable WiFi for older kids and teens.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Suites are the best bet for families as they have separate living areas with sofabeds, but the smaller Superior Rooms are ideal if you don’t mind compromising on privacy. Both room types are designed to accommodate additional beds for kids if needed. Cots are free; simply ask at reception.
- High chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Gardens to play in
Kids Activities nearby:
- Horse riding
- Petrohué Waterfalls
- Airport: 50 minutes
- Hospital: 25 minutes
- Supermarket: 25 minutes
Hotel Awa is located on the edge of Lake Llanquihue, in Chile’s Lake District. It's a 25-minute drive from the city of Puerto Varas. The Petrohué Waterfalls, Osorno Volcano and Alerce Andino National Park are all nearby. Vicente Pérez Rosales National Park is 90 minutes away by car.
El Tepual in Puerto Montt is the closest airport (48km). Regular domestic flights operate from Santiago and Buenos Aires airports.
From the Airport
The hotel can arrange a transfer, or you could rent a car and self-drive. There’s ample on-site parking space for guests.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- El Tepual airport 48.0 km PMC
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 27.0 km
- Restaurant 15.0 km