“Tranquil 5-room hideaway above the Chania coast, with gorgeous views (B&B in spring or autumn, villa rental in July-Aug)”
This is a relaxing haven for couples, and also ideal for celebrations (you can book the whole place as a self-catering villa). There’s a living and dining room on the ground floor, plus a generous patio with sweeping views. The bedrooms are crisp and contemporary, with colourful splashes, private balconies and sumptuous beds. Tavernas and mountain villages are just a walk or cycle away; beaches and the scenic Venetian port town of Chania are within an easy drive.
- A great location for exploring the island. Beaches are just a short drive away, and you can walk to tavernas and picturesque villages
- Fantastic value for money, and the welcome you receive is worth its weight in gold
- A vast patio with an infinity pool, shaded sofas and stunning sea views
- Delicious breakfasts created from local produce
- Very peaceful, particularly as children under 16 are generally only accepted when hiring the entire villa
- Lunches and dinners aren't available every day, but there are plenty of restaurants nearby
- Meals are normally communal affairs, but you can ask for a private table if you prefer
- Rooms are very comfortable but they're on the small side
- In July and August, you have to rent the whole villa - which, for a group of 6-12, is actually a great option (couples can browse other options here)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- B&B (April-June & Sep-Oct) / Villa for 4-12 (July-Aug)
- Breakfast (+ lunch most days and dinner occasionally)
- Under 16s allowed only when booking whole villa
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are 5 double or twin bedrooms, 4 upstairs and one on the ground floor. All have contemporary furniture, splashes of colour from cushions and lamps, private balconies, and ensuite bathrooms with rain showers.
All the upstairs rooms are topped with beautiful vaulted ceilings. The Orange and Mustard Rooms have spectacular sea views and either French or retro touches; the Teal Room gazes onto the glorious White Mountains, and the Aubergine Room has a Moroccan feel with views across local villages and olive groves. On the ground floor, the Green Room is cool and crisp, and overlooks the pool and the stunning vista beyond.
The communal living area has an open fireplace, a TV, sofas and a dining table for 10, and opens onto a wrap-around balcony. At the back of the villa, a large patio catches the morning sun. And you’ll definitely want to recline on one of the luxurious poolside loungers.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Pool towels
- Safe box
The fully equipped, open-plan kitchen leads to a sunlit patio and is all yours if hiring the whole villa; you'll also get a welcome pack with basic ingredients. If you're taking a B&B room, Sharon effortlessly serves a delicious breakfast made from local produce. Start the day with yoghurt, honey, fresh fruit, preserves and an array of cheeses and charcuterie.
At other times, there’s an honesty bar with drinks and light snacks, and you can help yourself to free tea, coffee, biscuits and homemade cakes. Lunches and home-cooked dinners are offered on select days, and might include a mezze spread, chicken in a white-wine sauce, a pizza from the alfresco wood-fired oven, or a grill cooked on the barbecue.
There’s an impressive range of eateries a walk away in Vamos, or slightly further afield in the mountains and by the coast. We spent a dreamy evening in the beautifully lit garden of Monica’s Taverna in nearby Gavalahori, run by a family of Australian Greeks.
- Communal dining
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Explore traditional villages such as nearby Vamos and Gavalahori. You can walk, or there are bikes to hire locally
- Lounge on the golden sands of Almyrida beach (15 minutes' drive) or Marathi (1 hour), then dine in one of the beachside fishing tavernas
- Spend the day wandering the ancient cobbled streets of Chania, or cruise the harbour on a sailboat
- Go foraging with a local guide and cook up some horta - one of the delicious wild herbs growing across the island
- Mark and Sharon can also arrange photography courses, as well as cooking classes with their Greek housekeeper
- Hike the legendary Samaria Gorge (May-October) in the breathtaking White Mountains
- Explore the ancient Minoan ruins of the Palace of Knossos (45 minutes away), and imagine life in Europe’s oldest city
- Experience the magical pink sand and turquoise water of famed Elafonissi beach (2 hours away). Be warned: it gets very busy in high summer
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Photography courses
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Hotel Villa Kerasi is a peaceful place aimed at adults, and children under 16 are only accepted on request unless you're booking the whole place (if so, be aware that the pool is unfenced).
Family friendly accommodation:
Two rooms, Teal and Aubergine, can be set up as twins on request; if taking the whole villa, 2 oak full size single beds with luxury mattresses can be provided. Note that bathrooms have showers only, though a baby bath is available if booking the whole place.
High chairs, baby cots and baby bath available for whole-villa rentals.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Hotel Villa Kerasi is located in the Apokoronas area on Crete's northwest coast. It's between the villages of Vamos and Gavalohori, and around an hour from Chania.
Chania (38km away) is the closest airport. It's served by daily flights from Athens year-round, and by charter flights from across Europe in summer. There's also an airport at Heraklion, 116km to the east.
From the Airport
Transfers from Chania airport can be arranged, but we recommend hiring a car to make the most of the area (Mark and Sharon can arrange this for you if booking the whole villa).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Greece and getting around
- Chania 38.0 km CHQ
- Heraklion 116.0 km HER
- Beach 10.0 km
- Shops 1.5 km
- Restaurant 1.5 km