“A luxury tented resort, the only one on this stretch of deserted beach, with heavenly sunrises and a laid-back, arty vibe”
The 17 double and family tents sprinkle the peaceful sandy grounds while an infinity pool, a garden spa and double-storey restaurant and bar sit side-by-side on the beachfront with superb ocean panoramas. Chic furnishings and décor have either been custom designed or sourced from Bali and Thailand and really stand out for their on-trend style. Art features strongly, too: in amongst the lush landscaped gardens, there’s a giant yellow gorilla sculpture, and metalwork figures lounge around, contemplating the unspoilt ocean views. The beach itself is the preserve of local fishermen, who practise the traditional craft of net casting, which is fascinating to watch. Stroll along the sand, snooze by the pool: this is a place to switch off and do very little.
- A hidden paradise: currently the only tented camp along this near-deserted length of beach
- The sea is gorgeous for swimming all year round, warm and calm, especially in the dry season (Jan-Sept)
- The tents are incredible – superbly styled, spacious and comfortable, with kingsize beds, double-ended bathtubs and beautiful outdoor showers
- A massive infinity pool and comfortable mattress-topped sunloungers
- Starlit evening meals: we loved the traditional curries, and super-fresh seafood
- Staff are excellent but some have limited English. However, we're sure this will quickly improve
- No alcohol license but you can bring your own drinks and the corkage is free. Shops and other restaurants are 9km away
- No twin rooms
Baby cots, high chairs, potties
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
The kitchen can whip up kid-friendly meals at any time of day, including fish fingers, spaghetti bolognese and crumbed chicken, as well as snacks and fruit ice lollies.
Kids pool, games room, books, toys and DVDs.
Watersports such as kayaking, banana boating, jet skiing, snorkelling and SUP (stand-up paddleboarding) in nearby Passikudah.
- Boutique Resort
- Restaurant (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Creche / Kids Club
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The 17 suites are housed in well-designed South African tents. There are 3 versions – beachfront Palam Suites; garden-wrapped Kolaya Suites; and larger Seed Suites, which sleep up to 5 in 2 ensuite bedrooms (1 double, 1 twin + an extra bed).
Interiors are similar throughout. Timber floors, honey-coloured furnishings and kingsized beds (no twins), plus cushions illustrated with photographs of local life and beachscapes. The open-plan bathrooms have free-standing tubs and a private walled courtyard with a waterfall shower for open-air bathing. Despite the fact you're camping, there are safes, portable speakers, tea/coffee making facilities and mini fridges. Tents are mosquito-proofed and have side panels that can be rolled up for air circulation. There are ceiling fans as well as air-conditioning units, which, given the tents’ canvas structure, worked surprisingly well.
From our Palam Suite we could lie back in bed and savour 180-degree ocean panoramas and the sunrise. However, these suites aren’t as private as the garden-based Kolaya Suites, so it just depends which you prefer - privacy or sea views.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- TV (on request)
Sourcing ingredients in this remote region of Sri Lanka is a real challenge, but the hotel manages to offer a wide-ranging menu of international cuisine. Fresh fish and seafood feature highly, particularly local tuna which is crafted into tuna niçoise salads, tuna tartare and nigiri sushi. The open-sided first-floor restaurant makes the most of the panoramic coastal views, and its protruding balcony is a superb spot for starlit evening meals.
The menu was in its testing stage on our visit, and some dishes stood out more than others. The traditional rice and curries (particularly the crab curry) was very good as were the homemade pizzas, the spaghetti bolognaise and the beetroot, feta and walnut salad. We also liked the homemade profiteroles.
For a change of scene, the nearest restaurants are in Passikudah, a 30-minute drive away; this is a well-developed bay home to a number of high-end resort-style hotels.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Walk - the beach stretches for miles and is mostly deserted except for fishermen who tirelessly cast their vast nets into the sea
- Relax! This coastal setting is extremely tranquil and encourages you to put your feet up, bathe in the warm ocean and absorb this rare serenity
- There are body boards to borrow, as well as bikes to explore the region
- Be indulged at the twin-roomed spa, which is set in serene garden surroundings
- For coastal cruising, kayaking and jet skiing, make for Passikudah (30 minutes away), which is the east coast’s watersports hub
- For culture, head into Batticaloa, a refreshingly sedate Tamil town ringed by lagoons that’s home to a handful of colonial sights
- Or day trip to Polonnaruwa (1.5 hours), a 12th-century World Heritage Site
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Jet skiing
- Private guided tours
- Well being
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
The hotel is located on Kalkudah Beach, 9km from watersports capital Passikudah, on Sri Lanka’s east coast.
Colombo Bandaranaike is the closest international airport (266km), but it's a good 7-hour drive away so an alternative is to fly with domestic airline Cinnamon Air to Batticaloa Airport, an hour’s drive from the hotel.
If you don’t have your own transport, the hotel can arrange transfers from the airport, and tuk-tuks for local travel.
If you want to hire a car and driver for your whole holiday, enquire through our Tailormade Tour Operator; they can collect you at Colombo airport when you land, drive you to the hotel, then drive you to your onward destination(s) after your stay, as well as taking you on all day trips etc.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Colombo Bandaranaike International 266.0 km CMB
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 9.0 km
- Restaurant 9.0 km