“Stylish one-off boutique hotel with 7 large and spoiling suites in the historic heart of Cape Town”
Throughout you'll find custom-made furnishings and polished designs down to its oak parquet flooring, all framed in colour palettes of calming blues and greys. Specially commissioned contemporary artworks by Capetonians balance the European styling well, whilst archive photos maintain a nod to the city's past. Attention to detail comes thanks to thoughtful owner/creator Johan du Plessis. Swiss-trained and with decades of hotel business experience, his sense of perfection and service translates throughout with passion. Concierge help will find you the best of local eateries, tickets, excursions and whatever you need. It's all very elegant, slick, and above all immaculate.
- Beautiful bespoke design throughout: a great sense of style yet understated and relaxed
- In the heart of the city - close to award-winning restaurants, galleries and nearby shopping districts
- Exceptional attention to detail from amazingly comfortable beds to complimentary maxi-bars stocked with homemade nibbles and tipples
- Excellent personal service and concierge which made our stay all the more memorable
- The hotel has its own limo for airport pickups and local trips, plus inclusive valet parking for those self-driving
- Its central location has a hint of edginess, but we never felt uncomfortable - valet parking and concierge helps smooth any anxieties on arrival
- There's no on-site pool, but the 3-bedroom penthouse suite has a plunge pool and their air-conditioning keeps you cool
- Its café doesn't extend to dinner time, but you're spoilt for choice when it comes to eating out
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique hotel + apartment
- 7 suites
- Breakfast and lunch only (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
Labotessa has 7 suites, each with private lift access and views across the square toward Lion’s Head mountain. For celebs, heads of state or just those needing lots of space, the glam Presidential Suite is a huge penthouse with 3 bedrooms and open plan kitchen-living area spread over 2 floors. It's a complete wow, with a plunge pool on the balcony, fab bathrooms, and a price tag to match.
The 6 more affordable but no less luxurious Signature Suites are more like studio apartments, with 2 on each floor. Expect high ceilings, a small patio or Juliet balcony, a spacious sitting area and bar table for snacking. All have compact but gleaming shower rooms (no bathtubs) with lovely Diptyque products and fluffy robes.
Real thought has gone into the design and details. Fixtures and furnishings are mostly custom-made and sourced locally, with deep blue, green, burnt orange and ochre fabrics, long drapes and blackout blinds. A tall wooden cabinet cleverly hides a mini kitchen with sink, Smeg kettle, Nespresso, stocked fridge and microwave, whilst a secret panel reveals an ironing board, umbrella and a yoga mat. On arrival, our hunger pangs were instantly satisfied with delicious homemade nibbles and cheeses. For nightcaps, we couldn't resist a swift tipple from the decanter of complimentary whisky.
It's all very relaxing, from the superbly comfortable Simmons mattresses to sophisticated sound and vision gadgetry made simple through universal remotes.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Don't expect an in-house restaurant here, but for breakfasts and lunch Labotessa's ground-floor café is a delightful place to enjoy simple yet delicious light meals. Healthy muesli and fruit bowls, fresh juices, good coffee, eggs cooked any way from Benedict to Shakshuka, as well as tarts, wraps and salads are offered from 8am to 2pm in a relaxed and friendly vibe. Dishes can be served on the pretty terrace surrounded by potted greenery, or brought up to your suite.
Each suite also has a handy kitchen cabinet with fridge, sink and microwave, ideal for whipping up a snack. The Presidential gets a sleek and fully equipped kitchen, with a central island/bar and open-plan dining area for up to 10.
If eating out, the concierge can recommend the best that Cape Town has to offer, including FYN, right next door - famed for its fine-dining fusion of Japanese and South African dishes. For something more laid-back, we enjoyed the Asian street food-inspired cuisine at the Melting Pot Cafeteria, hidden above the Gin Bar on nearby Wale Street.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Within a few minutes' walk you'll find: Company's Gardens, a park and thriving urban space right in the heart of Cape Town with buskers, musicians, tourists and locals alike; Greenmarket Square with its many stalls selling African crafts; and the Iziko Slave Lodge museum
- On Saturdays, don’t miss the Oranjezicht City Farm Market at Granger Bay - an organic, foodie, hipster haven
- Hike or take the cable car up Table Mountain; best done an hour before sunset to see the city in both day and night light
- Spend the day on one of Cape Town's gorgeous beaches; we love those at Clifton, near Camps Bay
- Enjoy a picnic or a summer concert at the world famous Kirstenbosch Gardens
- Head out to the Winelands for a day of tasting, beautiful scenery and delicious food
- Take a tour of Robben Island to see where Nelson Mandela and other political prisoners were incarcerated during apartheid
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Although this is a grown-up looking hotel with no swimming pool or other kid-friendly facilities, the large suites, with their mini kitchenettes and options for interconnecting, make it ideal for families of all sizes and ages.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All six Signature Suites have plenty of space for an extra bed and a cot. With only two suites on each floor they can also interconnect so you can have a whole floor to yourselves. Each suite has a handy 'kitchen cabinet' with fridge, sink and microwave, ideal for whipping up a snack. For larger families, the 3-bedroom Presidential Suite with plunge pool and huge living area is fabulous. Note: all Signature Suites have showers only, if you want a bathtub, you'll need to splash out on the Presidential Suite.
They are able to arrange babysitting via other accredited companies
Baby cot, baby bath (rooms are shower only) and highchair are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
- Airport: 20-25 minutes
- Hospital: 5 minutes
- Shops: 3 minutes
Labotessa is located in quiet Church Square near Company's Gardens, right in the heart of central Cape Town. Taxis to the Waterfront and Table Mountain take 10 minutes. The main beaches are a 10-15 minute drive away.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to South Africa and getting around.
- Cape Town International Airport 15.0 km CPT
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km