A stunning beachside estate (sleeps 6-14) with two family-sized villas and an annexe-for-2 in a tranquil walled garden with pool”
The quaint fishing village of Kardamyli lies a 10-minute walk along the coast. It's made up of old stone cottages, with a pretty main square rimmed by cafes, where locals meet to put the world to rights. Overlooking the deep blue waters of the Messinian Gulf, the entire scene is presided over by the rugged Taygetus mountains; hike up the spectacular Viros Gorge into the heart of the range. Kardamyli is the gateway to the Mani, a region known for its dramatic rocky landscapes, medieval tower houses and a history of blood feuds. Most Greeks consider the region wild and remote, but that's also its appeal - it remains relatively undiscovered.
- Great for families: each villa has a spacious living area, a double and a twin bedroom, full kitchen and outdoor dining
- Bring another family - or get together with a group of 8-12 friends - and you can hire the whole place
- Ritsa beach is 50m away; swim in azure waters before breakfast or as the sun sets. Liodentra has its own exclusive umbrellas
- Interiors are tastefully furnished and comfortable
- Kardamyli offers a modest choice of cafes, restaurants and shops, without feeling touristy
- The owners prefer to rent out the whole estate, and only offer individual villas in low season or at short notice
- If sharing the estate, be aware the villas are adjacent - so not totally private - and share a pool
- No cooking facilities in the annexe; best for a couple who are happy to eat out
- It's 10 mins' walk from the village shops and restaurants: you'll probably want a hire car
- Not the easiest place to reach: limited flights into Kalamata or a 3-hour drive from Athens
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Rentals
- 2 villas for 2-5, 1 annexe for 2
- Self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 26 Jan 2022 - 31 Mar 2022...
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- English-speaking caretaker
- Pool/beach towels and daily cleaning
Virtually identical, the 2 stone villas are built in traditional local style. Downstairs, both have open-plan living spaces, combining a lounge and dining area with a fully-equipped modern kitchen, and a double bedroom with a shower bathroom. The furnishing is somewhat aristocratic, but not pompous, and includes Persian rugs, Chinese vases, French engravings, 19th-century dowry chests from Sweden, and boxy cream sofas and armchairs. Patio doors open onto a stone terrace overlooking the shared garden and pool, where there's a table for alfresco meals.
Upstairs, there's a second bedroom (double/twin), plus a slick ensuite in earthy colours, with terracotta tile floors, walk-in shower, big mirror and lovely Korres toiletries.
The annexe, ideal for couples, has a double bedroom and shower bathroom. There's no kitchen, but you get a fridge and Nespresso coffee machine, plus an outdoor seating area.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Full kitchens in the villas
- Ipod dock
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Safe box
- Shared BBQ
Both villas have full kitchens. Facilities include an oven and hob, a Nespresso and a fridge, plus cooking utensils, crockery and glasses. The annexe is more modestly equipped, with just a Nespresso coffee machine and fridge, but each accommodation has a private stone terrace with dining table and chairs, plus a shared barbecue area. On arrival you'll be given a welcome hamper, with breakfast ingredients (milk, juice, yogurt, butter, jam or honey, bread, cereal and local lalangia (fried pastries).
There are plenty of decent eateries nearby. A 5-minute walk away, with tables set in an olive grove overlooking Ritsa beach, Elies offers an informal atmosphere and hearty home-cooking. In the village, most people's favourite remains family-run Lela's Taverna, a stone house with a lovely terrace looking down to the sea. Expect classic Greek fare (try the homemade taramasalata, the lamb casserole and a carafe of house wine) and magical sunsets.
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Shared BBQ area
- White-pebbled Ritsa beach is steps away; Liodentra has its own sunbeds and parasols
- Walk along the coast to Upper Kardamyli to admire its medieval tower houses and an 18thC church
- Hike the spectacular Viros Gorge, past Byzantine churches then down into a steep-sided canyon
- Hire a mountain bike and explore the lower slopes of Mt Taygetus
- Swim and sunbathe at beautiful Kalogria beach, in Stoupa (6km), an arc of golden sand in a sheltered cove backed by tamarisk trees and tavernas
- Go scuba diving from Kalogria or join a sea kayaking tour with Explore Messinia, beginning in either Kardamyli or Stoupa
- Visit Diros Cave near Areopolis - you enter by boat to see a huge cavern filled with stalactites and stalagmites - then lunch at picturesque Limeni
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Liodentra is perfect for families - kids can run free in the walled garden and play area, and will love having barbecues and swimming in the pool or at the nearby beach. The village is safe for teenagers to visit on their own.
This would make a great group rental for 2 families, with room too for a set of grandparents or an additional couple without kids.
Family friendly accommodation:
The villas - each has a double bedroom, a double/twin bedroom and space for an extra bed or baby cot (on request). The kitchens are fully equipped. Note that there are no bathtubs, just walk-in showers.
- Baby cots
- Baby bath
- High chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Play area (swings, slide and seesaw)
- Spacious garden
- TVs and DVD players
Kids Activities nearby:
- A beach with safe swimming
- Sea kayaking
Families Should Know:
The pool is not fenced. The nearest beach (Ritsa) is pebbled, but there are sandy beaches 10 mins' drive away
- Airport: 40 minutes' drive (Kalamata)
- Shop: 1km
- Medical Centre: 10km (Agios Nikolaos)
Liodentra lies on the coast, 1km from the village of Kardamyli (also spelled Kardamili, Kardhamyle etc), in the southern Peloponnese region of Greece. It's about 3 hours' drive southwest from Athens, and 45 minutes south of Kalamata.
Fly into Kalamata (38km) or Athens (300km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airports
From Kalamata airport you could get a taxi (40 mins), but realistically you will want a hire car to explore the area.
From Athens airport, you'll definitely want to drive. See our car rental recommendations. You can park for free at Liodentra, within the property.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com
More on getting to Greece and getting around
- Kalamata 38.0 km KLX
- Athens 300.0 km ATH
- Beach 0.2 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km