“A chic hotel and spa in glamorous South Yarra, which has perfected the boutique formula”
Just steps from the action of Toorak Road and Chapel Street, this cool white hotel sits on a peaceful, tree-lined avenue. Inside you are greeted by impeccably trained staff in a sleek lobby. The suites are all self-contained apartments with sexy bathrooms, elegant bedrooms, smart sitting areas and a well appointed kitchenette to boot. There is a spa, a gym, a champagne bar (of course!) and even a pillow menu, plus a business centre for those who really are here to work. The Lyall has read the manual on what guests want from a boutique city hotel and they have ticked every box.
- Spacious rooms with underfloor heating in the bathrooms, separate baths and showers, entertainment systems, gourmet minibars
- Each room has its own veranda, and gorgeous bathroom goodies from the in-house spa
- A small gym keeps those trendy young things in shape
- Guests get a discount shopping card for use in selected boutiques
- Until mid-2018 there will be a building development next to The Lyall, on the north side. Certain room types will overlook the site and may incur some disturbance (Mondays to Saturdays until 4pm). The Deluxe One Bedroom Suites and Super Deluxe One Bedroom Suites will be affected
- The colour scheme, while very chic, is less characterful than our other Melbourne hotels
- We've heard reports of rooms looking a little tired, but a rolling refurbishment is underway
- Neighbouring construction noise may wake you - specify when booking if a quiet room is important to you
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant + bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
What better way to end a Melbourne day that by wallowing in a deep luxurious bathtub, stepping out onto underfloor heating, then mixing a cocktail to enjoy on your private teak-furnished balcony?
All the suites are really well equipped with a kitchen area and a plush lounge; we found the taupe and white colour scheme a little bland, but it's certainly smart, and the artwork, Eastern fabrics and trendy lamps add a touch of style.
As for the bedrooms, they vary in size (ours was quite small) but all are expertly appointed with large wardrobes, another TV and a pillow menu (choose from hypoallergenic to goose down!). Windows are full length and openable. Some suites have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, as well as a balcony with rooftop views. There are also 5 studio rooms which are rented only as an add-on to the suites.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Central heating
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Pillow menu
- Safe box
- Satellite tv
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
There's an inventive a la carte breakfast/brunch menu, including their signature Lyall Omelette with oven roasted tomatoes, basil, spring onions and Brie. For the more calorie conscious, there's bircher muesli with organic apple juice, raspberry relish and toasted almonds. You can order breakfast to your room or take it in the elegant surroundings of Bistro Lyall.
Each suite has a kitchenette with a washer/dryer (in most suites), dishwasher, stove and a fridge freezer stocked with so many goodies we almost had to put a lock on it to keep our other half out - vintage cheddar, delectable biscuits, Lindt chocolate and even sinful ice cream.
For quieter nights, there's 24-hour room service - salads, sandwiches, frittata and the like - and the Champagne Bar is a great place to spend an evening.
However, it would be a shame to miss out on the dazzling array of eateries on your doorstep, from Chinese to Italian, Greek, Korean and Mexican. The hotel owners personally recommend some of their favourite restaurants in the compendium found in your room.
- Coffee tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Pamper yourself or a loved one at the renowned Lyall day spa: expert staff use Sodashi and Skeyndor products and will do their best to make space for hotel guests
- South Yarra is Melbourne's most upmarket cosmopolitan area with Toorak Road and Chapel Street at its hub. Toorak Road is iconic for International Designer shops and upmarket restaurants and art galleries. Chapel Street is the funkier little sister known for its trendy Australian fashion designers, promenading and people watching
- Catch a cab or the tram down to St Kilda and relax in the sunshine on the beach, go sailing, or hang out in one of the many bars and cafés
- On Sundays St Kilda has a local artists market on the Esplanade, ideal for picking up a quirky gift
- Get cultural in some of Melbourne’s fabulous galleries and museums - check out the renowned National Gallery of Victoria, while Melbourne's Arts precinct is close by
- Wander round central Melbourne enjoying the Victorian architecture and stopping for top-notch coffees
- Sports enthusiasts can catch some world class tennis at the Australian Open, motor racing at the Australian Grand Prix or savour the excitement of the Spring Racing Carnival including the Melbourne Cup, when the whole country stops
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Hot air ballooning
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Well being