“A beautifully restored guest house, full of antiques from the Eastern world, with a rooftop terrace and exceptional cuisine, in the heart of Marrakech’s Royal quarter”
Owners Peter and Lawrence will treat you as friends in their home, picking you up from the airport and familiarising you with Marrakech. They're a fount of local knowledge - Peter has completed a PhD on the Kasbah - and they'll give you the low down on the best places to buy Moroccan furnishings.
As the owners note, Moroccan houses are designed to conceal their interiors from the outside gaze, and Maison Mnabha is no exception. Once inside, this small maison d'hotes boasts sumptuous fittings and classic Moroccan architecture.
- You won't get better value in the heart of the old imperial city
- The owners are highly knowledgeable and hospitable and will add a great deal to any stay in Marrakech
- The rooftop terrace is an incredibly romantic place for a sundowner
- The home-cooked food is exquisite
- While the central chamber is highly elaborate, it has a rather hushed feel
- The rest of the house is fairly narrow and we found some of the bedrooms a little cramped
- Those allergic to cats may want to stay elsewhere
- As with most of Marrakech, light sleepers should bring ear plugs
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- Breakfast (+ dinner on request)
- Children aged 10+ are welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The house's centrepiece is a meticulously restored 17th century salon, with tall, cool white columns, intricately painted walls and archways, and stained glass windows which bathe the room in a cool and tranquil mix of reds, greens and blues.
A narrow staircase from the central salon leads to the Upper Level Rooms. All 3 are comfortably furnished, combining modern simplicity, raw silk cushions from Asia, antiques, and traditional Moroccan details. There are 2 twins and a double to choose from. One of the twin rooms can be booked as an Upper Level Suite which includes the addition of a sitting room (with a single bed), reached by a private flight of stairs, that opens onto its own little terrace.
The Ground Level Room is furnished with antiques but is smaller than the other rooms and has less natural light. There is an exterior door leading to the street for separate access to this part of the house, which helps it feel more private and exclusive.
All guests have access to the main roof terrace from where you have a view of minarets, the royal palace and distant Atlas mountains.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee tea making
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
When you wake, fresh, sweet orange juice, coffee and croissants are served for breakfast on either the shared sun or roof terrace.
Maison Mnahba has a cook and dinner can be provided by arrangement (request over breakfast). Try some authentic Marrakech home cooking, which can be enjoyed on the roof terrace overlooking the city. Speciality dishes include bissara, tagine, chicken with olives and Moroccan apple cake. We sadly missed out on dinner, but all reports have been glowing.
Pre-ordered packed lunches can be made for excursions, and snacks are on hand from 1-6pm.
Don't miss the chance to try out some of the great restaurants nearby.
- Coffee tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian menu
- The Kasbah is the former citadel of the Sultans and is situated in the southernmost part of the medina. It's a quiet but lively area that's friendly, safe and open. Famous sites nearby include the Saadian Tombs, the Badi Palace and the Agdal Gardens
- It's an easy 20-minute walk to the celebrated Djemaa el Fna square filled with snake charmers, acrobats and story tellers. A must-see in the early evening
- Shop in the souks for the coolest Moroccan carpets and trinkets - all within walking distance
- Relax and sunbathe on the riad's roof terrace, and enjoy an early evening cocktail watching the sun set over Marrakech
- If you feel in need of open space - both the Atlantic coast and the Atlas mountains can be reached in a couple of hours' driving. The owners can arrange car hire with a local company
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures