“Two stylish apartments for 2-6 in Mexico City’s historic centre, with spectacular views and a super-helpful owner”
Petra's flagship apartment is located atop a stately building, offering stupendous views and a fresh, contemporary decor. With 4 charming bedrooms and 3 marble bathrooms, it can comfortably sleep 6; or you can rent 1 or 2 bedrooms at reduced rates, and still get the whole place to yourself. That includes an enormous living area, a plant-filled terrace and a well-equipped kitchen (continental breakfast and daily cleaning are included).
A few steps down the street, the more restrained smaller apartment (sleeps 2-4) is a perfect hideaway for two couples. Breakfast here is not included, but twice weekly cleaning and Petra's concierge services are.
- Petra, the German documentary producer who owns these 2 apartments, has lived in Mexico City for over 30 years and, with her assistant Ceci, will happily organise guides, cookery classes, dance lessons, even tequila tastings
- You're within easy walking distance of top tourist attractions, restaurants and the metro
- We loved the artistic décor, with touches of Latin American folk art
- The plant-filled terrace of the larger apartment is a perfect antidote to the bustling city streets
- Maid service is included; the owner's cook can whip up delicious dinners, too (at extra cost)
- Daytime noise from the city - rush-hour traffic, church bells, the occasional street musician - is unavoidable; but nights are quiet
- Some of the building’s communal areas need sprucing up, though both apartments themselves are in excellent shape
- There's a minimum stay of 3 nights (4 nights over Easter, Mexian Day of the Dead, Thanksgiving and end-of-year holidays)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartment
- 1-4 bedrooms (flexible)
- Self-catering (+ meals on request)
- Enquire when booking
- Closed: 2 Jun 2020 - 30 Jun 2020
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Laundry Service
- Maid service twice a week (larger apartment)
- DVD Library (larger apartment)
The larger apartment (224 sq.m.) has a spacious living / dining area, 4 bedrooms, 3 marble bathrooms and a well-equipped modern kitchen. It comfortably accommodates 6 people, though clever design and flexible rates mean that smaller groups will be quite at home here too. Rooms are white and airy, with a clean, contemporary design and touches of colour from Latin American folk art and fresh flowers. Ceiling-to-floor windows in the living area look out on 2 sides to a terrace filled with banana trees and tropical plants - a magical touch for an inner-city abode.
From the living room, lockable doors lead into 2 separate sleeping areas (smaller groups would only use one). One has 2 bedrooms (a king / twin and a double) sharing a white-marble bathroom with a walk-in shower and a Jacuzzi tub. The other has a small vestibule, a large king / twin bedroom, a marble bathroom with a glass-enclosed shower area, and an additional small single with ensuite bathroom if needed. All bedrooms have ample white-louvered wardrobes and double windows. Bathrobes, slippers and a hairdryer are provided; 3 of the rooms have satellite TV and DVD players.
The smaller apartment (121 sq.m) is the perfect retreat for a couple. There's an ample bedroom with a queensize bed and ensuite marble bathroom (walk-in shower), a second double bedroom, an open-plan living-dining area and a modern kitchen - both of which have big windowfuls of city views - plus another full bathroom. Bathrobes, slippers and a hairdryer are provided, and the master bedroom has satellite TV and a DVD player.
- Full kitchen
- Honesty bar
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
- Portable heaters
- Washing machine
At the larger apartment, fresh ingredients are provided daily for you to prepare your own breakfast . These include bread, croissants, eggs, yoghurts, fruit and Petra's gorgeous homemade jams (we loved the fig).
There’s no breakfast service at the smaller apartment, but a fabulous bakery and coffee shop opened recently in the building next door.
The kitchens of both apartments are stocked with wines, beer, tequila and soft drinks, which are billed separately - along with any additional foods bought for you.
For dinner there are, of course, lots of restaurants nearby, including the famous Casa de los Azulejos (a tile-covered 16th-century mansion) and Bar La Opera (a fancy pre-revolutionary cantina). Alternatively, you can order a variety of prepared dishes from nearby restaurants (yes, they deliver). Or, for more intimate in-house dining, come to an arrangement with the owner’s excellent cook , Ceci, who whips up delicious Mexican and international dishes.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- The historic centre is chock full of fascinating museums, colonial architectural treasures, busy shopping streets, and plazas where you feel the throbbing pulse of this great megalopolis - and all just a few steps away from the apartment
- Take a taxi or the metro (though not during rush hour) to attractions further afield, such as the National Anthropology Museum, the area of Coyoacan (with its small-village atmosphere), and the 'floating' gardens of Xochimilco
- Hop on a bus for day trips to the famous Teotihuacan pyramids, or the Museo Nacional del Virreinato in Tepotzotlan, which houses Mexico’s finest collection of colonial art and artifacts
- Let Petra help you design creative excursions, with or without a guide, such as a gastronomic walking tour, a football match at Azteca Stadium, or the 'Frida Kahlo Circuit'
- Book a cooking class with Ceci the chef, who will teach you how to prepare your own Mexican delicacies and will even accompany you to the market to buy ingredients
- Brush up on your Spanish in a custom-designed language workshop given in your apartment by a Mexican university professor
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Danzón dance lessons
- Historical sites
- Language courses
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Tequila tastings
- Traditional cultures
With its wrap-around balcony, plants, fragile folk art and delicate upholstered furniture, the apartment isn't safe or appropriate for children. With this in mind, children are accepted by prior arrangement only - please contact the owner before planning your stay. The price depends only on the number of bedrooms occupied, not the age of the occupants. Note there are no cots available.
The apartments are located a few steps apart, in Mexico City’s historic centre, between Zocalo and Bellas Artes and half a block from the Allende metro station (on Line 2).
Mexico City International (6km away, also known as Benito Juárez International) is the nearest airport - click on the links below for a list of airlines serving it.
From the Airport
Take a licensed taxi (the journey time is 20 to 45 minutes depending on traffic). You can also take the metro, but you'll need to change at Oceania, San Lazaro and Pino Suarez.
Driving in Mexico City is best avoided - the roads are congested, local drivers have a reputation for being fast and furious, and most sights are an easy walk, taxi ride or metro journey from the apartment. But if you really want to hire a car for exploring further afield see our car rental recommendations.
More on getting to Mexico and getting around
- Mexico City International 6.0 km MEX
- Beach 200.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km