“Two stylish apartments for 2-6 in Mexico City’s historic centre, with spectacular views and a super-helpful owner”
Petra's flagship apartment is located atop a stately building, offering stupendous views and a fresh, contemporary decor. With 4 charming bedrooms and 3 marble bathrooms, it can comfortably sleep 6; or you can rent 1 or 2 bedrooms at reduced rates, and still get the whole place to yourself. That includes an enormous living area, a plant-filled terrace and a well-equipped kitchen (continental breakfast and daily cleaning are included).
A few steps down the street, the more restrained smaller apartment (sleeps 2-4) is a perfect hideaway for two couples. Breakfast here is not included, but twice weekly cleaning and Petra's concierge services are.
- Petra, the German documentary producer who owns these 2 apartments, has lived in Mexico City for over 30 years and, with her assistant Ceci, will happily organise guides, cookery classes, dance lessons, even tequila tastings
- You're within easy walking distance of top tourist attractions, restaurants and the metro
- We loved the artistic décor, with touches of Latin American folk art
- The plant-filled terrace of the larger apartment is a perfect antidote to the bustling city streets
- Maid service is included; the owner's cook can whip up delicious dinners, too (at extra cost)
- Daytime noise from the city - rush-hour traffic, church bells, the occasional street musician - is unavoidable; but nights are quiet
- Some of the building’s communal areas need sprucing up, though both apartments themselves are in excellent shape
- There's a minimum stay of 3 nights (4 nights over Easter, Mexian Day of the Dead, Thanksgiving and end-of-year holidays)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartment
- 1-4 bedrooms (flexible)
- Self-catering (+ meals on request)
- Enquire when booking
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Laundry Service
- Maid service twice a week (larger apartment)
- DVD Library (larger apartment)
The larger apartment (224 sq.m.) has a spacious living / dining area, 4 bedrooms, 3 marble bathrooms and a well-equipped modern kitchen. It comfortably accommodates 6 people, though clever design and flexible rates mean that smaller groups will be quite at home here too. Rooms are white and airy, with a clean, contemporary design and touches of colour from Latin American folk art and fresh flowers. Ceiling-to-floor windows in the living area look out on 2 sides to a terrace filled with banana trees and tropical plants - a magical touch for an inner-city abode.
From the living room, lockable doors lead into 2 separate sleeping areas (smaller groups would only use one). One has 2 bedrooms (a king / twin and a double) sharing a white-marble bathroom with a walk-in shower and a Jacuzzi tub. The other has a small vestibule, a large king / twin bedroom, a marble bathroom with a glass-enclosed shower area, and an additional small single with ensuite bathroom if needed. All bedrooms have ample white-louvered wardrobes and double windows. Bathrobes, slippers and a hairdryer are provided; 3 of the rooms have satellite TV and DVD players.
The smaller apartment (121 sq.m) is the perfect retreat for a couple. There's an ample bedroom with a queensize bed and ensuite marble bathroom (walk-in shower), a second double bedroom, an open-plan living-dining area and a modern kitchen - both of which have big windowfuls of city views - plus another full bathroom. Bathrobes, slippers and a hairdryer are provided, and the master bedroom has satellite TV and a DVD player.
- Full kitchen
- Honesty bar
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
- Portable heaters
- Washing machine
At the larger apartment, fresh ingredients are provided daily for you to prepare your own breakfast . These include bread, croissants, eggs, yoghurts, fruit and Petra's gorgeous homemade jams (we loved the fig).
There’s no breakfast service at the smaller apartment, but a fabulous bakery and coffee shop opened recently in the building next door.
The kitchens of both apartments are stocked with wines, beer, tequila and soft drinks, which are billed separately - along with any additional foods bought for you.
For dinner there are, of course, lots of restaurants nearby, including the famous Casa de los Azulejos (a tile-covered 16th-century mansion) and Bar La Opera (a fancy pre-revolutionary cantina). Alternatively, you can order a variety of prepared dishes from nearby restaurants (yes, they deliver). Or, for more intimate in-house dining, come to an arrangement with the owner’s excellent cook , Ceci, who whips up delicious Mexican and international dishes.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- The historic centre is chock full of fascinating museums, colonial architectural treasures, busy shopping streets, and plazas where you feel the throbbing pulse of this great megalopolis - and all just a few steps away from the apartment
- Take a taxi or the metro (though not during rush hour) to attractions further afield, such as the National Anthropology Museum, the area of Coyoacan (with its small-village atmosphere), and the 'floating' gardens of Xochimilco
- Hop on a bus for day trips to the famous Teotihuacan pyramids, or the Museo Nacional del Virreinato in Tepotzotlan, which houses Mexico’s finest collection of colonial art and artifacts
- Let Petra help you design creative excursions, with or without a guide, such as a gastronomic walking tour, a football match at Azteca Stadium, or the 'Frida Kahlo Circuit'
- Book a cooking class with Ceci the chef, who will teach you how to prepare your own Mexican delicacies and will even accompany you to the market to buy ingredients
- Brush up on your Spanish in a custom-designed language workshop given in your apartment by a Mexican university professor
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Danzón dance lessons
- Historical sites
- Language courses
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Tequila tastings
- Traditional cultures
With its wrap-around balcony, plants, fragile folk art and delicate upholstered furniture, the apartment isn't safe or appropriate for children. With this in mind, children are accepted by prior arrangement only - please contact the owner before planning your stay. The price depends only on the number of bedrooms occupied, not the age of the occupants. Note there are no cots available.