“Stylish plantation on the slopes of Mt. Nevis with a welcoming atmosphere, excellent food and service, and beautiful gardens”
The house feels like a tropical version of the English country manor, with a blend of traditional charm, stylish décor, informal luxury and gracious hospitality. In the evenings you are invited to join the other guests for drinks in the Great House, before dining on delicious local food served on the candlelit veranda. Walk, read or just simply relax in the sunshine. For the energetic, there's a tennis court and a large freshwater swimming pool; golf, riding and mountain walks can be arranged nearby.
- The service is among the best in the Caribbean - nothing is too much trouble
- The food is fabulous
- Just 19 beautifully appointed guest rooms with wonderful views of the gardens and distant sea
- Montpelier's private beach offers secluded cabanas and a shaded beach bar with dazzling ocean views
- Easing yourself into the island's slower pace of life - the atmosphere is extremely peaceful and relaxed
- The hotel's private stretch on Pinney's sandy beach is a 20 minute drive away (a complimentary shuttle is provided)
- Don't come expecting wild nightlife, Nevis is a sleepy island and Montpelier, as with the other plantation inns, is located in tranquil countryside
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- Over 5s welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
- Bicycles Available
The guestrooms are scattered around the garden in various West Indian-style cottages, each with their own private sea-facing veranda. Elegant and spacious, they have wicker furniture, high ceilings, white painted walls and large, wonderfully comfortable beds. Soft furnishings are in subtle tropical-style fabrics rather than the garish florals found in most Caribbean hotels. A touch of bamboo, an orchid or palm leaf artistically placed in a slender vase on the wall, and scatter cushions laid on crisp white linen and chenille throws give the rooms a fresh, almost Asian-Zen simplicity.
The rooms are designed to catch the mountain breezes to keep them cool, though all have a ceiling fan and many now have air-conditioning. Quiet and secluded, the only noises you'll hear at night are insects and mountain frogs.
The Tamarind Villa is particularly special; an elegant living room leads out onto a veranda and a private plunge pool, which overlooks the island with distant sea views. Another stylish choice is the Garden Suite, designed with nature, the bamboo flooring and walk-in waterfall shower help merge the indoor and outdoor spaces. There’s even a secluded gazebo to relax and read in.
Just beyond the hotel grounds, the Little House offers a more independent experience. Set in 2 acres of gardens, this 2-bedroom plantation house has a full kitchen and stunning views of the Caribbean Sea and Nevis.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Extra beds
- Safe box
Dinner is held the Montpelier way - all guests meet in the Great Room at 7pm for pre-dinner drinks and canapés, and then wander out onto the candlelit terrace at 8pm for an elegant 3 course dinner. The Restaurant 750 has been named to highlight its elevated position offering an impressive alfresco dining experience.
The menu, which changes daily, is created by a team of local and European chefs and is deemed classical, with local and international inspiration. Expect plenty of fresh local produce: fish, lobster or organic suckling pig, homegrown vegetables, homemade sorbets and ice creams. A typical menu might include shellfish seasoned with lemongrass and ginger on a coconut and lime sauce to start, followed by breast of duck seasoned with 5-spice powder and honey, and crème brûlée for dessert. After dinner coffee and bonbons are also served, and there is a good wine list. For a special treat head to the intimate old sugar mill where up to 24 guests can enjoy a prix fixé menu by candlelight. The 300 year-old mill is the only restaurant of its kind in the world. Most guests tend to stay put, but if you prefer to go out there are a number of good restaurants on the island at the other plantation inns.
Continental breakfast can be brought to your room or you can enjoy a full breakfast on one of the terraces. Expect a large array of fruits, yoghurts, fresh juices, homemade breads and jams, as well as eggs, pancakes and croissants served on one of the terraces.
Special diets can be catered for (ask when you arrive) and a variety of picnic hampers can be arranged for those going to the beach. By the pool the lounge bar, Indigo, offers more casual dining with a selection of sandwiches and light meals, plus fine wines, rare rums, cigars and cocktails. The Little House has a full kitchen and catering can be arranged.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- This is a relaxation destination; with a slower pace than some of the other Caribbean islands, Nevis offers the opportunity to chill out. Wander around the 60-acre estate, enjoy an afternoon tea by the pool, and watch the sunset from the elevated verandas
- For those seeking a bit of adventure, the rainforest is perfect for exploring. Take in the plant life on a rainforest hike or (for those needing a tougher challenge), climb Mt. Nevis for views of the surrounding islands
- Island tours will give you an insight into the history and geography of Nevis; visit Mt. Nevis and local historic spots, including the Nelson and Alexander Hamilton Museum, mills and sugar works, historic churches and the 18th century thermal baths
- Head down to the hotel's private beach; it's a 20-minute drive away but the hotel provides complimentary transport. Everything from kayaking to scuba can be arranged through the management (at an extra cost) but this place is more for beach lizards than sports fanatics. Don't expect the amenities of an all-inclusive resort
- The calm ocean waters at Montpelier's private beach are protected by a reef and are ideal for swimming and snorkeling , as is the hotel's decent-sized freshwater pool
- Deep sea fishing charters (tuna, wahoo, sailfish) can also be arranged
- Play tennis - racquets and balls are provided free of charge for use on the court. Tennis lessons are available with a professional coach
- Golf is offered at the excellent Robert Trent Jones II course nearby (for both of the above see Rates)
- Mountain bikes are available for hire, but beware of the large potholes in the roads
- Horse riding can be arranged
- Spa treatments can be arranged at the Montpelier Open Spa
- Day trips can be made to neighbouring islands, including St Kitts, St Barts and St Martin
- Bring renewed vitality to your life with yoga. The hotel offers yoga classes. Yoga retreats are also available throughout the year, enquire for details
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Tennis coaching
Children from the age of 6 are welcome and discounts are offered for under 12s. The new 'Children in Action' programme includes a range of activities such as crafts, games, movies, bike riding and short excursions.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Extra Beds Available
The Montpelier is set in a 60-acre estate 750 feet up in the hills on the Caribbean island of Nevis.
Nevis (19km) is the closest airport. There are no direct international flights to Nevis, so the closest International airport is Antigua (85km), from where there are connecting flights to Nevis. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this area.
From the Airport
Montpelier is on the south of the island, an easy 30 minute taxi ride from Nevis airport (see Rates for an idea of cost).
If you want to drive to Montpelier see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you once your booking is confirmed.
More on [getthere:st-kitts-nevis:getting to Nevis] and [getaround:st-kitts-nevis:getting around]
- Nevis 19.0 km NEV
- Antigua 85.0 km ANU
- Beach 9.5 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km