“Chic self-catering apartments (for 2-7) and a delightful small hotel tucked away in a pretty valley, perfectly situated for southern Sicily’s best sights”
The 7 spacious and modern apartments and 15 hotel rooms are sufficiently spread out among olive and carob trees to give both privacy and lovely views of a typical southern Sicilian landscape; some even give a glimpse of distant sea. Furnishings are elegant and simple in strong plain colours, fine art on the walls is bold but always harmonious, and the beds are superb. There are many restaurants in Ragusa, and exquisite seafood a short drive away in coastal towns. But you’ll find it hard to leave the calm of Cavalonga, and the scented night air.
- A blissful little haven, hidden away from the tourists flocking to the major sights in the area
- Two smart swimming pools, set in flowering gardens
- Within easy reach of Ragusa (15 minutes away), Vittoria (30 minutes away) and Scicli - and far more restful than staying in a town
- Really exceptional service from warm and helpful staff, keen to make you feel at home
- The apartments are great for families and kids will love the pools
- On our most recent visit we thought the hotel was looking a little tired and would benefit from some refurbs
- You’ll need a car to explore the area, but there are shaded parking spaces
- If you want to dine off site, good restaurants in Ragusa or Vittoria require more driving than you might feel like in the evening (the 3 options in nearby Donnafugata aren’t very sophisticated)
- Self-catering guests might find the kitchens in some apartments too small for conjuring up elaborate meals
- This is a quiet place to stay: no entertainment in the evenings
Baby cots can be provided on request
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
Available by arrangement
Kids menu in the restaurant, enough choices at breakfast to suit all
- Grounds to roam around
- Donnafugata castle, 5 minutes away, has a formal garden of rosemary bushes (which looks and behaves like a maze) and battlements, plus interesting interiors
- The beach is 15 minutes away
- Ragusa may be a little dry for children, we sight saw there for an hour then took the kids to the playground
- Marina di Ragusa also has a playground
- Greek and Roman ruins abound in SE Sicily - Agrigento is generally thought outstanding
- There's an Aquapark in both Siracusa and Catania
- Boutique Hotel & Apartments
- 15 rooms, 7 self-catering apartments
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request) or self-catering
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Creche / Kids Club
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
All rooms and apartments share the same aesthetic: sleek, modern and simple; the neutral shades ensure the interiors never compete with the landscape outside. Bathrooms have honey-coloured marble and white suites. There are bathtubs in the apartments, but the hotel rooms have showers only (except 3 of the Garden Deluxe Rooms).
The hotel rooms are in the main building, the Casale Antico. Nine Superior Rooms and the spacious Superior Deluxe Room have double or twin beds and panoramic views from the first floor; the five ground-floor Garden Deluxe Rooms have private terraces with table and chairs and uninterrupted views of the olive and orange groves in the valley. They can also be joined together for families.
The apartments have a wonderful feeling of space. Five are set in the estate’s old villa, closest to the road (though noise isn’t a problem), and have a double and twin bedroom plus a sofabed, sleeping up to 5. These all have private terraces or courtyards; Donnafugata also has a garden (great for children).
The other 2 apartments sit in stone buildings in the grounds and sleep up to 7. Kamarina and Ibla, where we stayed, has 2 doubles and a twin. Both have 3 bathrooms and large terraces with lovely views. We loved our open-plan living area, with sofas at one end and a dining table at the other - even with 7 people, there would be plenty of room to sprawl out.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Cavalonga is blessed with I Paladini restaurant, whose name comes from a painting by the owner’s wife, celebrated artist Laura d’Andrea. Dinner is available 4/5 nights a week. The 5-course fixed menu changes daily; we had fava bean soup, ravioli with pistachio pesto and swordfish with raisins and anchovies. It's good, comforting food, and dining on the terrace beneath the olive trees in summer is a delight.
Lunch (book by 10:30) consists of salads, toasted sandwiches and soups. Afternoon tea is served from the bar at any time, with delicious cakes and pastries. Breakfast is a generous spread of continental favourites, excellent Sicilian sweet pastries and eggs cooked on request. Room service is available.
Self-catering in the apartments is easy. The kitchens are a little small for cooking on a grand scale, but there’s everything you need to prepare dinner. Note no basic ingredients are supplied but there’s a good supermarket 8 minutes’ drive away towards Ragusa (staff will give you directions).
And don't forget you're in a gastronomic part of Sicily, so there are plenty of options within driving distance if you want to eat out (book ahead at weekends) - click here for details. And finally, there are cooking lessons with the chef on request if you want to cook Sicilian-style back home.
- Chef on request
- Children's meals
- Lunch by arrangement
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Go for strolls in the 18 acres of gardens, practise yoga on the yoga platform, or borrow a bike and cycle to the coast
- Explore Donnafugata’s castle - the inspiration for the setting in the novel (and film) The Leopard
- Visit the Unesco-listed Baroque towns of Ragusa, Vittoria, Modica and Scicli - fascinating for their jumble of crumbling buildings and ornate churches. We found Scicli the most delightful
- Take a wine tour - many of Sicily’s best wines are produced around Vittoria. The famous winery in Valle dell’ Acate offers tastings
- History nuts will be spoiled for choice: Palazzolo Acreide (45 minutes’ drive away) is an ancient hilltop city with Greek amphitheatre and lovely views; Roman Villa de Tellaro has a small but stunning collection of mosaics from the 4th-century AD
- Day trip destinations an hour away could include Siracusa and its old town of Ortigia (spectacular Greek amphitheatre and excellent fish restaurants) or the Vendicari Nature Reserve - beautiful, windswept and unspoilt, for birding and walking
- Don’t miss the charming seaside resort of Marina di Ragusa, with quiet warm waters, a long beach, some great fish restaurants and superb ice cream shops
- Golf can be arranged at the 18-hole Donnafugata golf resort - book at reception (cheaper than at the course itself) who can also arrange horse-riding and mountain biking through the surrounding landscapes
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
Relais Parco Cavalonga is set off the beaten track in southeast Sicily, near the small town of Donnafugata, and about 15-20 minutes from Ragusa.
Fly into Comiso (29km away), Catania (100km away) or Palermo (230km away).
From the Airport
The journey time from Comiso is just 20 minutes. Airport transfers can be arranged from Catania, a taxi will cost around €130 one way. Alternatively you can drive yourself - approximately 1.5 hours from Catania, or 2.5 from Palermo - and a hire car is recommended in any case, given the rural area. It is possible to take a bus to Ragusa from Catania (operating every 2 hours 6am-8pm) and the hotel can collect you from Ragusa.
Most will find a car is essential if you want to explore the area. For car hire see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Comiso 29.0 km CIY
- Catania Fontanarossa 100.0 km CTA
- Beach 15.0 km
- Shops 8.0 km
- Restaurant 3.0 km