“2 ultra-modern self-catering pads in Camps Bay, as sleek and stylish as a James Bond villain's hideout (sleeping 4 and 6)”
The rentals sit in the same villa, on the lower slopes of Table Mountain; you rent the House (sleeping 6), the Penthouse (sleeping 4), or book them together as the Whole Villa (sleeping 10). The Penthouse has a spectacular roof terrace that's perfect for entertaining, with a sleek plunge pool and designer loungers, while the House has a private gym and wraparound terraces where you can spend your time sunbathing, relaxing, swimming in the pool or just marvelling at the views. Camps Bay's beautiful white-sand beach is a short 10-minute walk away, as are fantastic restaurants and cafes, and it's an easy drive to the city for day-tripping. Perfect for couples holidaying together, extended families, or families with teenagers or older children who don't mind sharing beds.
- Floor-to-ceiling glass doors framing those spectacular views of mountain and sea
- Stunning design and thoughtful finishing touches: adapter plugs already in the sockets, towelling robes and lovely products in the bathrooms (all bedrooms are ensuite)
- Well equipped kitchens for self catering, plus braai areas and a herb garden
- A good selection of DVDs for cosy nights in, and warm fleeces for sitting out under the stars
- We loved taking the internal lift up to the apartments, an experience in itself thanks to the magnificent view
- Exposed edges and steep drops makes the property unsuitable for kids under 6
- No twin beds, which makes it less perfect for families
- You'll need a car for day trips
- There's a minimum stay of 3 nights, or 14 nights in Peak Season, and the cancellation policy is strict
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villas
- 2 rentals (sleeping 4 and 6)
- Self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- Children aged 6 and over accepted
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Laundry Service
- Communal laundry room
- 3x weekly maid service; additional cleans on request
Sea View can be rented as whole villa, or as 2 separate apartments (the 2 double-bed Penthouse and the 3 double-bed House). Just as the building looks ultra-modern from the outside, it is ultra-modern with clean lines and a minimalist approach on the inside - all the better to focus on the views.
The floor-to-ceiling windows draw your eyes to the horizon every way you look and the decor is simple but luxurious throughout: cream sofas and walls, textural brown and beige carpets, accents of wicker and light wood and the occasional tasteful and well-placed knick-knack (sea shells, glass jars).
The house has 3 spacious kingsize bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms (2 with a bath, 1 with a shower) and sleeps up to 7 if you add an extra bed. It's an impressive space, with windows showcasing the view and mod cons everywhere, from the underfloor heating, robes and toiletries in the bathroom to the fully equipped kitchen.
There's enough space for 6 adults to find their own niche here, with an open living area, plenty of sofa space around the gas fire, and an indoor table seating 8. But the best part of the House is the panoramic terrace, complete with sofas, daybeds and loungers, where you can grill fresh fish on the braai, dine outdoors and pose around the pool. There's also a small private gym with sea views.
The Penthouse splits over 2 floors and has 2 kingsize bedrooms decked out in crisp white linen, both with views of Table Mountain. Ensuite bathrooms have a tub and shower, plus double sinks and underfloor heating.
The kitchen is open plan with a breakfast bar, sitting area and dining table as well as patio doors that open onto the terrace and plunge pool area. It's film-set perfect, with loungers and views of the ocean.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Ipod dock
- Plunge pool
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
The House and Penthouse are both self-catering with fully-equipped kitchens and plenty of dining space, both indoor and out. They each have a 4-point electric hob, in-built braai (barbecue), a large fridge with filtered water and ice machine, plus a fan oven, microwave, toaster, kettle and breakfast bar. Cleaning products are provided, as is a dishwasher, and you'll also find a welcome pack with tea, coffee, sugar, salt, pepper, milk and fruit. Outside there's a shared herb garden.
The nearby Pick’N’Pay supermarket is open late and the slightly more upmarket Woolworths is a short drive away. Alternatively, a local supermarket delivers to the villa for a small fee and you can order your groceries online before your trip - ask for details when booking.
If you want to eat in but prefer not to cook, you can ask for a private chef, who will whip you up whatever you fancy, from barbecues of ostrich, bison and crocodile to regional specialities. If you want to eat out, it's a short walk to the beachfront for a whole host of restaurants. Trendy Café Caprice has a great vibe and excellent tapas/grill options, while Col’Cacchio is a good Italian. We'd recommend having a cocktail and indulging in some people-watching at Sapphire Bar before deciding what to eat.
- Chef on request
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Welcome hamper
- Relax by the pool, sun yourself on the deck and wander to Camps Bay to pick up ingredients for a long, lazy lunch. We'd recommend freshly caught fish on the braai
- Spend a day on the beach. Swim, surf, watch volleyball, and buy a Grenadilla lolly (passionfruit to us Brits) from one of the local touts for a traditional Capetonian fix
- Go for a scenic Sunday drive along Chapman’s Peak. The road climbs steadily from Hout Bay and skirts 114 curves along the most mesmerising views of the Cape Penisula with plenty of picnic spots
- Tackle Table Mountain. It's either a 3-hour walk or a cable car ride up to the beautiful mountaintop
- Watch a production at the Camps Bay Theatre
- Head into Cape Town to visit the V&A Waterfront, with its shops, excellent restaurants and sea views. From here you can take a boat trip to visit Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned during the apartheid era
- Hire a Harley Davidson to discover the area in serious style, but beware, full leathers might make for quite a sweaty afternoon!
- Take a day trip to the winelands of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, about 40 minutes' drive away
- Crazy folk can go shark diving out of Cape Town; the more sane can go whale watching. From May-November, Southern Right Whales wave a flipper at onlookers from Hermanus Bay, just under 2 hours' drive away
- There's plenty more wildlife watching nearby, from African penguins at Boulder's Beach near Simon's Town, baboons and more at the Cape of Good Hope, and safaris (which require a day trip) at Kruger National Park
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shark dives
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Whale watching
- Wine tasting
The apartments aren't entirely child-friendly as they have steep drops, open staircases and sharp edges. But given the location and the large amount of space here, we think it would suit families with kids over 6, and particularly those with teenagers really well (although there are no twin rooms).
If you are planning to visit with a baby that isn't walking, an exception can be made (the House and Penthouse would be best). There is a bathtub on site but there are no baby cots - these can be hired from a local company on request.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Take your pick: the Penthouse sleeps 4 in 2 double beds; the House sleeps 6 in 3 beds and also has an extra rollaway bed, and the Whole Villa sleeps 10 in 5 beds and has an extra rollaway bed. All the beds in the bedrooms are kingsize doubles so it will depend on whether your children will share or not.
- 1 extra bed
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Both rentals are fully self-catering with kitchens that have everything (though the Penthouse doesn't have a blender). Only the basics are provided so the first thing you need is to hit the supermarket. Each rental has a braai (barbecue) and a great family dining table indoors and out - they are well set up for big groups. There are shops a short walk away and plenty of family-friendly cafes and eateries in the Camps Bay area
Kids Activities on site:
- Private swimming pool at the House and Villa; plunge pool for the Penthouse
- Large flatscreen TV with DVD player and Satellite TV
- iPod docks
Kids Activities nearby:
- Beach at Camps Bay
- Walking or cable car up Table Mountain
- Plenty of wildlife santuaries and viewing opportunities, from whale watching to penguin-filled beaches and, further afield, safaris
- Cape Town has plenty on offer for families, including boat trips and the V&A Waterfront
Families Should Know:
There are lots of steep drops and exposed staircases but children over 6 should be fine
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Hospital: 20 minutes
- Nearest shop: 15 minutes