Amala’s wellness spa fuses Asian elixirs and Western holism; the Bamboo restaurant serves organic Indonesian and European food. As for the 14 romantic villas, they're amazing value and utterly spoiling, with private pools and gorgeous outdoor bathrooms. For honeymooners and those in escape mode, it is a complete cocoon. For those who like to explore, it's a great base: beaches, shops and bars are an easy jaunt. Sister property to the super-popular The Bale, we're absolutely sure it'll be amazing and we can't wait to visit.
- The feeling of generosity: a complimentary massage upon arrival, a daily meditation session, free airport transfers and a shuttle to anywhere in Seminyak on request
- 24-hour butler service: hide away from the world
- The large communal pool with a scenic wooden bridge and cute cabanas
- A wonderful spa, water Pilates and yoga lessons
- Perfect for a romantic holiday; or hire the sumptuous Residence with friends (sleeps 6)
- No children under 12, to keep the mood serene
- Those who've stayed say the resort feels quite enclosed – there are no sea or mountain views
- Occasional problems with pressure and temperature in the rooms’ hot-water showers
- No bar area, though alcohol is available
- As with everywhere in Asia, mosquitoes can be a bother – though staff use coils and spray to clear them out during turndown service
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 14 rooms
- Restaurant open daily
- 12+ year olds only
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Villas at The Amala are clean, lean and serene. Bamboo-lined paths lead the way, and inside everything is spacious and airy with sleek lacquered black furniture and gleaming marble floors. White muslin is draped over four-poster beds; Balinese stone and wooden carvings are meticulously placed amongst lush foliage; sparkling pools are open to the sky. The immaculate bathrooms have handmade soaps and scented candles.
Romantic couples will love the herb-scented steam showers and outdoor Jacuzzi bath in the Spa Villas – these also have a small plunge pool and wooden sundeck. Pool Villas have longer plunge pools and a kitchenette. The Residence is for groups or families; an elegant 2-storey villa with 3 bedrooms and 2 living rooms.
- Air conditioning
- DVD player
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
There are heaps of healthy breakfast options at The Amala – everything from green-power smoothie bowls to gluten-free banana pancakes. Traditionalists can have omelettes and fry-ups; the adventurous can try ‘burbur ayam’ – rice chicken porridge! Eat in your villa or at Bamboo, the alfresco restaurant by the main pool.
For lunch and dinner, Bamboo focuses on organic and raw foods: delicious-sounding options include quinoa salad, golden gazpacho and spiced tuna tartare. Indonesian curry specialities like ‘mi gorang’ and ‘gado gado’ are also on the menu. If you'd prefer, you can request a private BBQ meal in your villa, and have whole fish, steak or ribs grilled to order.
Bamboo is not big (4 tables for couples; one communal one for 12) and there is no bar. However, it’s an easy shuttle to the lively bars and fine-dining restaurants on Sunset Road in Seminyak. Staff are happy to give recommendations.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Relax in the spa: from massages to manicures, all treatments start with a lime-mint detox drink and foot bath, and end with a Tibetan prayer-bell ritual
- Take a cookery class with the Bamboo chef: shop for ingredients at the market then make traditional Balinese dishes like 'tum ikan' (steamed fish in banana leaf) and 'dadar gulung' (coconut pancake)
- Go shopping: Seminyak Square with its open-air market, fashion outlets, batik and jewellery stores is a 25-minute walk
- Spend a day on Seminyak beach or rent a motorbike and drive along the coast: Legian is great for surfing and Kuta has a party scene
- Staff can organise guided tours to Uluwatu Temple (for the Balinese dance), Mount Batur (for the sunrise trek) and Ubud (for galleries and museums)
Activities on site or nearby include:
12+ year olds only
Teens (over 12)
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
The Amala is situated in the heart of thriving Seminyak, just 30 minutes' drive from Denpasar's Ngurah Rai International Airport.
Fly into Denpasar (13km). You will be met from your flight.
There are frequent boats between Bali and the major islands in Indonesia, including Java, Lombok and Komodo. You will be met from the port.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Ngurah Rai International Airport 9.2 km DPS
- Beach 1.8 km
- Shops 0.3 km
- Restaurant 0.3 km