“A sparkling new barn conversion with sumptuous interiors, spacious gardens and a swimming pool with panoramic views (sleeps 2-8)”
Eager to share their slice of little Italy with us all, they embarked on an enormous project to renovate a run-down barn near the hilltown of Alfiano Natta. And the final result is dazzling. They’ve transformed the space into a contemporary three-bedroom retreat that showcases smart design using natural materials - solid oak doors, exposed brick ceilings, polished Lucerne stone worktops. It’s ideal for families, with masses of space indoors and out, and a big swimming pool that comes with sweeping views over the hills and mountains beyond. Slotting into the slower pace of life here will come naturally. Go wine tasting next door, mingle with locals in the village, and shop for ingredients at the market in nearby Moncalvo. Return to cook with your produce, then head into your garden to see the sun turn rouge as it dips beneath the Alps. A fantastic find for foodie friends and families.
- Very high-spec design, with lots of natural materials and luxe features (log burner, antique furniture, four-poster bed)
- The owners’ passion for the region is wonderful; they are brimming with top tips and information about the local area
- The views from the saltwater pool look heavenly: a rugged scene of vineyards, tree-lined hills and snow-topped mountains
- All three bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms, and there's even a fourth bathroom downstairs
- Fabulous for foodies: you get a welcome pack with local produce, there’s a vineyard next door, and the open-plan kitchen is a wonderful space for cooking in
- Because it’s so new, the plants in the garden haven’t had time to grow and bloom yet, so it’s looking a little bare outside
- No shops or restaurants within walking distance
- The barn is attached to the owners' house on one side, but completely independent
- Although it's great for families, there isn't a huge amount in terms of provisions for little ones such as toys, but Sara and Mark are very accommodating so do ask if there's something you need
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Country Hideaway (sleeps 2-8)
- 3 bedrooms
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 2nd - 31 January & February
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The house is split over two levels, with the bedrooms upstairs and the living spaces downstairs. Muted pastel shades are used throughout, creating a very calming and contemporary feel. The open-plan living area has lots of natural light and features sweet little hanging baskets, industrial-style lampshades, a log burner and a sofabed. There’s a fourth bathroom here, too, which has a striking sliding door made from reclaimed wood.
Upstairs there are two double bedrooms and one twin room. All three bedrooms have exposed-brick feature walls, steely blue colour schemes and ensuite bathrooms. The master suite is particularly gorgeous, with its four-poster bed and mustard-yellow accents.
The outside area spans 800m2 and includes a large lawn, a sun terrace and a shaded pergola with cushioned seats. Steps lead down to the swimming pool, with plenty of space around the edge for sunloungers.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Mosquito net
- Swimming pool
- Washing machine
Keen cooks will love the kitchen, which features pretty Portuguese-style tiling, antique wooden worktops and an island. You also get a double fridge and lots of cooking equipment. A welcome pack of tea, coffee, fruit, vegetables, butter, bread and wine is provided, and the nearest supermarket is a short five-minute drive away. Dine inside at the table for eight, or head out to the terrace on warmer days and fire up the barbecue.
The nearest restaurant is a five-minute drive away, or you could head into Moncalvo (10 mins) for a choice of pizzerias and bars. Interestingly, Piemonte is second only to Lombardy for the number of Michelin starred restaurants in Italy per region, and there are 16 within 45 minutes drive from the house. Mark and Sara can provide more details.
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- There are dozens of great walks from your front door, as well as road/mountain/ebiking routes – ask for advice on local hire
- Winetasting is obviously a must, and there are plenty of vineyards to choose from; Castello Razzano is the closest
- Other food-related activities in the area include truffle hunting, beekeeping (500m away) and T'asti artisan bakery and cookery school (5km away)
- Visit the historic small city of Moncalvo (10 mins’ drive), home to a bustling weekly market, pastel-coloured architecture, a theatre, and lots of little cafes for taking it all in
- Asti is well worth a day out (20 mins’ drive). Wander its historical centre, visit the weekly produce market or come in September for the town's palio (horse-running festival)
- Longer day trips can take you up to museum-rich Turin (the famous shroud is stored in the Capella della Sindone in the Duomo), the fashion capital of Milan (the drive into the city is not for the fainthearted), or to the coast around Genoa
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
This is a fine choice for families. It’s quiet, secluded, and comes with lots of private space. Kids will enjoy playing on the lawn and splashing in the saltwater pool, and you can keep an eye on them from the sun terrace or pergola. The area has lots of family-friendly activities, like cycling, horse riding or cookery classes.
Family friendly accommodation:
There's an ensuite twin room that's ideal for kids, and the lounge has a sofabed if required, sleeping two extra guests
- High chair
- Stair gates
- Baby cot
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities nearby:
- Horse riding
- Tre Querce Adventure Park
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced, and the steps leading into the garden are fairly steep
- Airport: 70 mins (Turin)
- Hospital: 20 mins
- Supermarket: 10 mins
The Asti Hideaway is located near the quiet town of Alfiano Natta in the Monferrato region. It's about 20 minutes' drive from Asti and 10 minutes' drive from Moncalvo.
The nearest airport is Turin (70 mins). You could also fly to Milan Malpensa (90 mins).
From the Airport
The best way to get there is to hire a car, as you will need your own transport to explore the region and to visit restaurants.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Turin Caselle 70.0 km TRN
- Milan Malpensa 127.0 km MXP
- Beach 135.0 km
- Shops 7.3 km
- Restaurant 7.2 km