“A tranquil and top-end hilltop villa (sleeps 6-10) above the Chania coast, with gorgeous views of mountains and sea”
This is a lovely escape for a family (or two) who want to get away from the crowds, or for celebrating with a group of 6-10 friends (plus 2 small children). There’s a living and dining room on the ground floor, plus a generous patio with sweeping views. The bedrooms are crisp and contemporary, with colourful splashes, private balconies and sumptuous beds. If you ever have a question, the super-friendly British owners are quick to help; having run the place as a B&B for years, they know everyone round here. Tavernas and mountain villages are just a walk or cycle away; beaches and the scenic Venetian port town of Chania are within an easy drive.
- A lovely tranquil location for exploring the island: beaches are a short drive away, and you can walk to tavernas and picturesque villages
- A warm welcome from the owners, who are passionate about the house and the island
- A vast patio with infinity pool and stunning sea views, plus additional shady sitting areas
- All bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms
- Great value for money, especially when you consider all the little extras (breakfast ingredients, homemade cakes, baby equipment...)
- Like most villa rentals, it's only available by the week
- You'll have to drive to the beach
- At 5 bedrooms, it's quite large for a family - but there are reduced rates if using 3 or 4 bedrooms
- We think it's better suited to older children, given the sharp edges and prickly plants (but if you come with babies or toddlers, there's plenty of equipment)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Villa for 6-10
- Self-catering; restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 1 Nov 2020 - 11 Jun 2021...
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are 5 double or twin bedrooms, 4 upstairs and one on the ground floor. All have contemporary furniture, splashes of colour from cushions and lamps, private balconies, and ensuite bathrooms with rain showers.
All the upstairs rooms are topped with beautiful vaulted ceilings. The Orange and Mustard Rooms have spectacular sea views and either French or retro touches; the Teal Room gazes onto the glorious White Mountains, and the Aubergine Room has a Moroccan feel with views across local villages and olive groves. On the ground floor, the Green Room is cool and crisp, and overlooks the pool and the stunning vista beyond.
The communal living area has an open fireplace, a TV, sofas and a dining table for 10, and opens onto a wrap-around balcony. At the back of the villa, a large patio catches the morning sun. And you’ll definitely want to recline on one of the luxurious poolside loungers.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Pool towels
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Swimming pool
- Washing machine
The fully equipped, open-plan kitchen leads to a sunlit patio and is all yours; It's a great place to start the day with yoghurt and honey, or fresh figs and Cretan cheeses.
You'll find a very generous welcome pack, including things like oranges for juicing, salad and cheeses for Greek salad, fresh bread, homemade cakes, fruit, wine and beer, soft drinks and some nibbles. There's even flour and yeast for making your own pizzas in the outdoor pizza oven. You can request a pre-arrival shop if you're arriving late in the evening and don't want to head out to the shops on your first morning. It's 1.5-2km into the villages of Vamos or Gavalohori for great local supplies; 5km to the larger supermarkets of Almirida.
There’s an impressive range of eateries in Vamos, or slightly further afield in the mountains and by the coast. We spent a dreamy evening in the beautifully lit garden of Monica’s Taverna in nearby Gavalohori, run by a family of Australian Greeks.
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Pizza oven
- Explore traditional villages such as nearby Vamos and Gavalahori. You can walk, or there are bikes to hire locally
- Lounge on the golden sands of Almyrida beach (15 minutes' drive) or Marathi (1 hour), then dine in one of the beachside fishing tavernas
- Spend the day wandering the ancient cobbled streets of Chania, or cruise the harbour on a sailboat
- Hike the legendary Samaria Gorge (May-October) in the breathtaking White Mountains
- Explore the ancient Minoan ruins of the Palace of Knossos (1 hour away), and imagine life in Europe’s oldest city
- Experience the magical pink sand and turquoise water of famed Elafonissi beach (2 hours away). Be warned: it gets very busy in high summer
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Photography courses
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Wine tasting
We think that The Cretan Hilltop Hideaway is best for older children who will enjoy the pool, gardens and oodles of private space, without constantly wishing they had a beach right on their doorstep. Babies are also welcome, and the house is well equipped; but be aware of the sharp edges, prickly plants and unfenced pool.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Two rooms, Teal and Aubergine, can be set up as twins on request; also, 2 oak full size single beds with luxury mattresses can be provided. Note that bathrooms have showers only, though a baby bath is available by prior request.
- High chairs
- Baby cot (and bedding)
- Changing mats
- Baby/toddler cups and dishes
- Baby bath
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Good sized pool
- Boules court
- Lawn for croquet
Kids Activities nearby:
- Cookery lessons
- Cheese making
- Meet the local bee keeper
- Guided walks
- Airport: 40 minutes (Chania)
- Health centre: 5 minutes
- Shops: 5 minutes (Vamos)
The Cretan Hilltop Hideaway is located in the Apokoronas area on Crete's northwest coast. It's between the villages of Vamos and Gavalohori, and around 40 mins from Chania.
Chania (38km away) is the closest airport. It's served by daily flights from Athens, and by charter flights from across Europe in summer. There's also an airport at Heraklion, 116km to the east.
From the Airport
We recommend hiring a car to make the most of the area (Mark and Sharon can arrange this for you if you prefer).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Chania 38.0 km CHQ
- Heraklion 116.0 km HER
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 1.5 km
- Restaurant 1.5 km