“Uber cool urban enclave filled with elegant guest rooms, intimate bars, private club and designer dining”
The Establishment is intimate yet funky for folks who like to brag about where they stay. The hotel is a redesign of a former ironmonger warehouse and historical building, George Patterson House; now a 9 storey combination of old façade and contemporary interiors. There are no harbour views as it’s pure inner city, but a 2 minute walk will have you dipping your toe in Sydney Harbour. Surrounded by Sydney’s premier urban tourist attractions - Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Centrepoint, the Rocks - there’s plenty to do by day, while the hotel's 4 bars, speakeasy, sushi, Chinese and fine dining restaurants will keep you entertained before you retire to your luxurious, cutting-edge bedroom for a sound night's sleep.
- Sydney’s best restaurants and bars in the same complex; staying here guarantees you a table
- Classic contemporary-styled rooms which don't stint on comfort, as we found on our 2017 revisit
- In-room gadgetry includes touch screen telephones that allow you to control lighting, room service, world clocks and concierge with your finger tip
- Service, service, service
- Deep baths with full view of the large screen TV; an excellent entertainment system
- The office blocks around the hotel mean some windows look into workers at computer terminals (strategically placed transparent blinds minimise this)
- The entrance is so discreet that it can be hard to find; you may find yourself negotiating a heaving Establishment bar on George Street rather than the soothing back lane foyer
- Rooms are single glazed and some overlook a busy street, meaning there can be some unwanted noise especially at weekends; though the hotel can provide ear plugs
- Availability can be an issue
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants and bars (open daily)
- Over 16's welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- DVD players on request
There are 31 Studio and Establishment Rooms (with added lounging area). Rooms come in a choice of 2 colours.
The Dark Rooms (levels 2 and 3) have warehouse style ceilings, Japanese black wooden floors, and a soft monochrome feel - very New York meets Tokyo. On our 2017 revisit we stayed in one of the Light Rooms (levels 4 and 5) which have carpet instead of wood floors, neutral tones and rendered white ceilings. Pillows are plump, beds are comfy and the overall effect is contemporary calm.
Bathrooms are either marble or bluestone with double vanities, separate bath and shower, Le Labo toiletries, loads of glass and excellent lighting for makeup application, floor to ceiling mirrors.
Go for one of the 2 Penthouse Suites (Studio or Duplex) for more of the same, but on a grander level.
All rooms have premium pure cotton bed linen, a business desk and mini bar, as well as those high-tech touch-screen room controls on the telephone. You also get high speed internet access, an iPad, a seriously impressive sound system, and seductive mints in the well-stocked mini-bar.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Internet access
- Movies and music on demand
- Safe box
Wining and dining at The Establishment is consistently top-notch. Breakfast is served in the open atrium Establishment Garden Bar which has both buffet and a la carte options (we loved the bean and kale baked eggs).
Upstairs are two premier restaurants. Fine dining classic, 'est', by Sydney dining master, Peter Doyle, has an impressive 2 Chef-hats in the annual Sydney Morning Herald food guide. Expect muted modern design and original heritage ceiling and pillars. The contemporary seasonal Australian menu simply excels, matched by an impressive wine list.
Enjoy a pre-prandial drink in the ultra-exclusive fourth floor cocktail bar and lounge, Hemmesphere (your room card guarantees entry). 1 Chef-hatted Sushi e, arguably the best sushi restaurant in Sydney, is discreetly tucked away behind a screen. It’s Japanese heaven: sit around a white marble bar and sunken sushi kitchen and let the chef create or choose from a menu of delights including snapper and white soy sashimi and kingfish tartare
On the ground floor is popular two-floored Mr Wong Chinese Restaurant, also with 2 Chef-hats, where we feasted on Peking duck and eggplant in a fish fragrant sauce on our 2017 revisit.
Bar snacks are available in the adjacent intimate wine bar Tank Stream Bar, as well as in the stylish brick-vaulted basement bar, Palmer & Co, an homage to 1920s-speakeasies with period photos on the walls.
- Coffee tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Climb the Harbour Bridge at Millers Point, not far from the Hotel
- Walk the Rocks heritage area of Sydney - where the white man first set up camp
- Take a ferry from Circular Quay (2 minute walk from The Establishment) across the Harbour to Taronga Zoo
- The iconic Opera House is very close by, as is the Museum of Contemporary Art
- A 5 minute stroll through the nearby Botanical Gardens will bring you to the Domain area of Sydney and the Art Gallery of New South Wales and the Australian Museum
- Although it's a ferry or bus ride to the beaches, you can swim at the Boy Charlton pool just the other side of Mrs Macquarie's Chair; or cross the Harbour Bridge by train or bus to swim in the former Olympic and beautiful Art Deco North Sydney Pool, next door to Luna Park
- From Thursday to Saturday nights, the hotel's bars and cocktail lounges are extremely busy - it is THE place to be seen in Sydney
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Though children are welcome, the hotel is not particularly suitable for kids and so over 16s are preferred. There are 2 cots and three rollaway beds available, but these are only permitted in Establishment rooms on request. Each room must have at least 1 adult aged 18+ years. Kids of all ages will find something to suit them in the Netflix selection!
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Babysitting is available at additional cost, 3-hour minimum