“An artsy, 8-bedroom hotel in the former headquarters of the Dutch East India Company at Fort Cochin”
More of a contemporary home than a hotel, Trinity consists of 8 beautiful rooms set in 2 buildings connected by a cantilevered bridge. There’s a small restaurant serving light dishes in a quiet courtyard and an in-house bakery offering mouthwatering breads and pastries. The general ambiance is calm and serene; relax and spend your days reclining on the daybeds and plump cushions that scatter the ‘hanging’ mezzanine floor.
- Wonderfully quiet and private; it looks more like a smart gallery from the outside
- Beautiful artworks and displays adorn the walls throughout
- Fantastic value, considering the luxe feel
- Just 8 chic and serene rooms, each with a terrace or private balcony and amazing bathrooms
- There are bikes to help you whizz about the peninsular
- No pool, but you're free to use the one at Malabar House just down the road (there are plans to build a pool at Trinity soon)
- Only light dishes on offer in the restaurant; you have to walk to Malabar House for more substantial meals, or eat out locally
- You're at the end of a peninsula; don't expect much in the way of nightlife
- Mosquitoes can be a problem, but the public areas and gardens are sprayed with repellents daily
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Casual restaurant and bakery
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
The design of the rooms makes them feel spacious, colourful and light. All have wonderfully comfortable beds, Indian artworks and antiques, luxurious crisp linen and cooling stone floors. Quirky features make each room different. Original art by contemporary Indian artists graces the walls and wooden artefacts pepper the whole place. Those in search of authentic India - be warned: the ultra-modern décor is stunning, but it's more like Europe than the East!
The Roof Garden Suites are the biggest; each has a private outdoor space with planter chairs to relax in. Suite #1 has an additional mezzanine bed and a patio terrace with a separate dressing area in the peaceful 'bath garden'.
Junior Suites are located on the first floor of the building, one with an open bath garden and a private terrace, others with verandahs and inner courtyard views. Deluxe Rooms have an additional mezzanine level, and are ideal for families. All rooms have large bathrooms with individual, twin or open shower facilities.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- DVD player
- Extra beds
Breakfast can be taken wherever you want. You have a choice of fresh breads and pastries, muffins, fruit and eggs, or South Indian options such as a banana and coconut dosa (rice-flour pancakes). Food is tasty, healthy and perfectly cooked. There’s always lots of fresh fruit available, as well as drinks throughout the day.
For other meals, in-house restaurant Passage Malabar offers light food, such as sandwiches and sharing platters, served either in the courtyard or on the terrace. There’s also an adjoining bakery offering a selection of artisan breads and pastries.
For something a little more substantial, you can have lunch and dinner at boutique sister hotel, Malabar House, a 200-metre walk across the Parade Ground. Its restaurant Malabar Junction, is on a lovely outdoor terrace by a small pool and has a short but wonderful menu of delicious and healthy dishes. There's a particular focus on fresh fish; dishes might include prawns with mango, seafood salad or spicy pork vindaloo.
Malabar House also has a wine lounge, Divine, which showcases Indian wines and serves tapas-style food combining European and Eastern flavours.
- Restaurants nearby
- Start your day with a morning yoga session at the Cochin Club
- Play cards or family games on the hanging mezzanine floor, before sinking into a daybed for a read
- Head to Malabar House for a rejuvenating treatment at their Purespa
- Take a walk through historic Fort Cochin for an insight into its Portuguese, Dutch, British and Indian history. Malabar House can provide maps and there's an Indo-Portuguese Museum and the 16th-century Indo-Dutch Mattancherry Palace to explore
- Cycle around Fort Cochin and watch the fishermen at work with their famous Chinese fishing net on the nearby quay
- Visit the church of St Francis, India’s oldest Christian building
- Go shopping in Jewtown for antiques, spices and trinkets
- Take in a performance (Kathakali dancing, Indian classical music or a spot of Anglo-Indian guitar) over dinner at the Malabar House restaurant
- Take a trip on the Keralan backwaters in Malabar House's Discovery houseboat
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
Trinity is better suited to older children as it’s more of a sanctuary than a play area, although all ages are welcome. Children under the age of 10 go free and babysitting can be arranged. No cots are provided but extra beds are available on request for an additional charge.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
There are no inter-connecting rooms, but some rooms can be booked adjacent to each other. The two Deluxe Rooms are best suited to families.
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Trinity is in the centre of Fort Cochin (Kochi) in Kerala, southern India.
Cochin International Airport (42km away) is the closest. However, Kerala's other international airport, Trivandrum (200km away), is the more likely access point and is easily reached by road or train.
From the Airport
The hotel can arrange transfers from Cochin airport - see Rates. If you're arriving at Trivandrum you could consider taking the train to Cochin.
If you're in India already, you can catch a train to Ernakulam (14km away) or Fort Cochin from most destinations. From there it's easy to catch a taxi to Trinity.
Bikes are available to borrow and there's a plentiful supply of rickshaws in Cochin. Staff can arrange day trips and guided tours.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Cochin (Kochi) International 45.0 km COK
- Trivandrum Thiruvananthapuram 200.0 km TRV
- Beach 0.5 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km