“Affordable island paradise with long, quiet beaches and a relaxed 'no news, no shoes' vibe”
Once you've kicked off your shoes and cooled down with an icy towel and cool drink, you can sign up for diving, boat trips to see turtles and dolphins, and tours to nearby islands. Or you can simply take in the view of the sea from your private terrace and do nothing at all. The long stretches of white beach are so quiet that you'll sometimes feel like the only people on the island. It's paradise for a romantic break, perhaps a honeymoon or anniversary, and extras like moonlit dinners on the beach and night diving make it all the more special. We haven’t visited yet but can't wait to do so.
- Stunning rooms with elegant décor, sunrise or sunset views, and private terraces. Most are stilted over the water, and all have a jacuzzi or whirlpool bath
- Friendly staff who soon know you by name
- Good food in the 2 restaurants, and delicious cocktails - all stays are full board and you can upgrade to all-inclusive packages
- A fabulous dive centre - this is one of the best spots in the Maldives for seeing hammerhead sharks
- Just an hour's flight from Sri Lanka, so you can easily combine the 2. Our Tailormade Tour Operator can suggest bespoke adventure + beach itineraries
- It’s a small island (you can walk around it in 30 minutes)
- Expensive extras
- Won't suit those who get restless, and you really need to enjoy your partner's company - you'll spend most of your time relaxing à deux
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Resort
- All meals included
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Watersports centre
- Dive centre
There are 5 room categories: most popular are the Jacuzzi Water Villas, which are on stilts in the lagoon with an indoor-outdoor bathroom and a Jacuzzi (some enjoy breathtaking sunset views and are named as such). Water Villas also overlook the lagoon, but have an indoor whirlpool bath instead; Jacuzzi Beach Villas are the same as Jacuzzi Water Villas, but enjoy ocean-front settings. Beach Villas are just a few steps away. Visitors say there is no such thing as a bad room here.
Décor-wise, rooms are similar. They are all beautifully and simply styled, with high pitched ceilings, whitewashed walls, kingsize beds positioned with a sea view, a white sofa, and dark polished wood floors. They all have a sundeck terrace and rooms over the lagoon have private steps into the sea.
Perhaps the most important consideration when booking is whether you want a sunrise or sunset room. Sunrise rooms give you a spectacular early morning view and are cooler in the afternoons; sunset rooms have the hot sun on them all afternoon, then a perfect vista of the sun disappearing into the sea.
Bathrooms are spacious, with double sinks, large glass-walled showers and a generous selection of toiletries including conditioner and body lotion. Elsewhere in the room you'll find a large flat-screen TV, an iPod dock, a ceiling fan and quiet air conditioning.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Complimentary beach loungers/towels
- DVD player
- Full kitchen
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Turndown service
The resort has 2 restaurants, a bar and a snack bar, as well as room service and a minibar in each room. All stays are full board, but you can upgrade to an all-inclusive package if you prefer; enquire for details.
The Dhonveli Restaurant is a buffet restaurant but don't let that put you off: reports say this is anything but a classic all-inclusive spread, and in fact offers a fantastic array of international food and curries to suit everyone. Food is made fresh to order and there are regular Maldivian nights. The atmosphere is laid-back and relaxed - there's no need to dress up - and barefoot dining is typical.
The Madivaru Restaurant is the resort's à la carte dining room, with a selection of special dishes on offer. It is also possible to book a romantic beach dinner, with the likes of lobster and Wagyu beef on the menu, served under the stars.
The Thundi Bar serves daily cocktails and Lion beer and hosts a programme of entertainment including film nights, crab racing, slide shows and music.
Recent guests have highlighted that the 'all-inclusive plus' package might not be worth paying extra for. We'd advise checking exactly what is included in each package before booking.
- All meals included
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Start your day with a champagne breakfast, drink in the sun from your private terrace, then snorkel from the beach before having a siesta
- Hole up in the spa for a massage (there are multiple varieties on offer), reiki, beauty treatments or a private yoga session. The honeymoon indulgence package gets great feedback
- Take a boat trip to the reefs to snorkel amid white- and black-tipped sharks, turtles, octopuses, rays and eagle rays
- Learn to dive at the dive centre, or take off on trips around the atoll to see soft and hard coral and a variety of marine life. This is one of the best places in the Maldives to see hammerhead sharks. Night diving is also available
- Take a dolphin sunset cruise and watch them dive over the bow of the boat
- Lounge by the infinity pool and have drinks and cold towels brought to you
- Go kayaking among turtles, or take a windsurfing lesson - watersports are free
- Go deep-sea fishing and bring back kingfish for supper. Or build up an appetite by playing beach volleyball or badminton
- Take a day trip to Rasdoo Island to witness Maldivian life first hand
- Watch the sun set from your private jacuzzi, cocktail in hand
- Book a romantic 5-course meal on the beach, and eat lobster and Wagyu beef under the stars
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Beach volleyball
- Boat trips
- Dolphin watching
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome in the Jacuzzi Beach Villas but note this is a bit of a classic honeymooners' paradise.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Jacuzzi Beach Villas can accommodate two children under 12 along with their parents. Only guests 12 years and older are permitted in the Water Villas and Jacuzzi Water Villas
On request, see Rates
- Baby cots and bedding
- Baby bath
- High chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
There are kid-friendly dishes in the buffet
Kids Activities on site:
- Wading pool
- Table tennis
- Airport: 25 minutes
- Clinic: on the island
Veligandu Island is in the North Ari Atoll, approximately 20 minutes by seaplane from the Maldives' only international airport. There is no boat service from Male to North Ari Atoll.
This hotel can only be booked as part of a package with our Tailormade Tour Operator in Sri Lanka (it's an hour's flight from Sri Lanka to Male), whose Sri Lanka Maldives itinerary includes 7 nights at Veligandu Island. They can also arrange a bespoke stay for a shorter or longer holiday (not necessarily including Sri Lanka) as everything is tailor-made to suit your timing and interests.
International flights land at the Maldives' Ibrahim Nasir International Airport, either direct from the UK/US or after a scheduled change. From here, a seaplane connection takes you to the island, typically the journey takes 20 minutes (see Rates). The seaplanes are scheduled to coincide with international flights, although occasionally passengers have to wait up to 2 hours for connecting or delayed flights/baggage.
Seaplanes fly in the daylight only (06.00-18.00h). There is an airport hotel should your international flight arrive too late for the transfer flight.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Maldives
- Ibrahim Nasir International 32.0 km MLE
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 16.0 km
- Restaurant 16.0 km