“A cute-as-a-button cottage for 4-6 in the heart of Ventnor, on the Isle of Wight's south coast”
Ventnor itself is our favourite spot on the Isle of Wight: an endearingly old-fashioned resort tucked under a chalky sea scarp, sheltered from the winds, and facing south for maximum sunshine. You can't see France, but you can feel it. There's an amber-sand beach, a busy fishing harbour, a surprisingly exotic botanical garden and plenty of laid-back eateries to explore. All of these are within easy walking distance - you won't really need a car once you're here - and if walking is your thing, follow the coast path west to find secluded coves and hilltop views out to sea. We can't wait to stay here ourselves.
- Great value, even in high summer
- The living space and bedrooms are pretty as a picture
- Lovely patio garden for outdoor dining or lazy reading; plus a conservatory for cooler days
- You couldn't be more central: shops, bars and cafés are all within 2 minutes' walk
- The whole courtyard mews is very secure, with keycode access only
- You're in an enclosed mews: no sea views, just the neighbours' walls
- There's only one bathroom (with shower); plus an extra toilet downstairs
- No parking within the mews: unload and then find a nearby carpark
- Despite the name, it's not right on the beach
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Cottage
- 3 bedrooms
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The heart of the cottage is an long open-plan living-dining room, which leads through the conservatory to the small part-decked garden. It all feels very light and airy, helped by a pale colour scheme with ocean-blue accents and sea-grass matting. There are a few arty touches - a tangled driftwood branch, an easel light stand, a Union Jack pouffe - but it's not overdone.
Upstairs are three bedrooms - two doubles (one is kingsize) and a more compact bunk room - decorated in the same vein. Expect framed prints of sailboats, cushions with homely slogans, some salvaged Anglepoise lamps or strings of sea shells; but more importantly the mattresses are comfy, there are stacks of pillows and towels, and it's surprisingly quiet for a town centre location.
There's only one bathroom, with shower (no tub) in a spacious cubicle for easy access. If the kids are desperate, there's also a guest loo downstairs.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Washing machine
The small but well equipped kitchen also leads onto the terrace garden (the comfy-seating part), so you can carry dinner outside if it's warm, or the other way to the dining room if not. You'll find an oven with 4-ring electric hob and extractor hood, a dishwasher, microwave, 4-slice toaster and other necessaries (sharp knives, spatulas, graters, ample crockery for 6), all housed in immaculate white units with a pristine wooden worktop.
Give yourselves a break from catering to check out Ventnor's many and varied eateries, from burger joints to seafood cafés and upscale restaurants. We've heard great things about The Bistro - informal and fun, with plenty of island fish, cheese and even foraged herbs; and the Italian Tramezzini, which extends beyond (excellent) risottos and lasagnes to include laksa soup, chicken rillette, catch of the day, even lobster. Ask the owner for tips, or check out Matt and Cat's Isle of Wight Eating Out Guide.
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Relax on Ventnor's beach, with its coarse sand, rolling waves and bustling fishing harbour
- Head along the Coastal Path to Steephill Cove, a hidden bay with rock pools and lobster landings; and the lovely Botanic Gardens nearby
- Hike up wooded paths to St Boniface Downs, the highest point on the island, for panoramic views out to sea
- Explore Carisbrooke Castle, in the centre of the island, where Charles I spent his remaining days imprisoned during the Civil War.
- Drive to the dramatic sea-stacks of The Needles on the furthest (northwest) corner - best seen from the clifftop Victorian fort
- Rent bikes and follow The Cycle Track, which runs along an old railway track from Sandown to Newport
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
The cottage works perfectly for a family of 4-6, with 2 double bedrooms and 1 bunk room (for 2 kids). There's also a baby cot (which fits in either double bedroom) and a high chair in the dining room. The rear garden is enclosed, and the mews courtyard is a safe area, as entry is via a keycode. It's a 5-minute walk down to the beach.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
- High chair
- Baby cot
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities nearby:
- Ventnor beach and paddling pool
- The Isle of Wight Donkey Sanctuary
- Chessell Pottery
- Blackgang Chine amusement park
- Robin Hill Country Park
- Tapnell Farm Park
- Dinosaur Island
Families Should Know:
There's no stair gate. The patio garden is gravelled (not lawned).
- Beach: 5-minute walk
- Hospital: 30-minute drive (Newport)
- Supermarket: 2-minute walk
The cottage is in the small town of Ventnor, on the south coast of the Isle of Wight.
There are no airports on the Isle of Wight; the nearest are Southampton, Bournemouth and Heathrow.
Frequent sailings from Southampton, Portsmouth and Lymington to the Isle of Wight; most take cars. Book early for the cheapest fares.
On the Island:
You'll need a car to get from your arrival port to Ventnor, and for exploring the island. If you don't want to bring your own car, you could hire one (limited outlets; most will meet you at your ferry) ... or not, if you intend to stay in Ventnor most of the time. There are regular but slow buses from Ventnor to Newport and to Ryde (via Sandown).
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Southampton 50.0 km SOU
- Beach 0.5 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km