“Tucked between the Apuan Alps and the sea, two gorgeous villas (for 4-8) with pools, shady gardens & graceful interiors”
This is the setting for these 2 impeccably presented villas - one just south of Camaiore in the hamlet of Pieve, one just north near Montebello. Both have private pools, glorious shady gardens with dining and sitting terraces, and achingly tasteful interiors. Think creamy linen sofas, chic monochrome prints, giant candlesticks and lanterns, traditional chestnut ceiling beams and cotta-tiled floors.
The Pieve Hideaway is a bright yellow, family-friendly house with 3 bedrooms - perfect for a larger family or those coming with grandparents. The more grown-up Montebello Hideaway has 4 double bedrooms - all ensuite, two with their own sitting rooms - as well as a top-floor TV room and an indoor-outdoor salon by the pool courtyard. This would suit 3-4 discerning couples travelling together, or a multi-gen family with older children (16+) looking for a bit more style, space and seclusion than you'll find anywhere on Airbnb.
Information provided by Versilian Hideaways on 27/11/2020.
In case of an official shutdown either in guest´s home country or in Italy, we will refund all payments in full. In return, guest waives any claim for damages, if a shutdown is ordered by Italian authorities
- Owner Thomas, German-born but long term resident here, provides superb service and local insights
- Both villas have delightful spacious gardens, with private swimming pools and shady sitting spots
- Only half an hour from Pisa airport, and 20 minutes from the coast
- We were blown away by the high spec fittings in Montebello: orthopaedic mattresses, power showers, mosquito screens, even a wine cooler
- The simpler Pieve house is very affordable; and it's within walking distance of shops and restaurants (handy with kids)
- Rentals are limited to the summer season, with a 7-night minimum stay (Saturday changeover)
- Only one of the bedrooms in Montebello - and none in Pieve - can be set up with twin beds
- You'll need a car for exploring the area (beware the steep driveway in Montebello!)
- Pieve only has a galley kitchen, and its ground floor lacks much natural light
- The stunning Montebello villa is pricey: try and share the cost with 2-3 other couples
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique villas
- 2 villas for 4-8
- Pieve: all ages, Montebello: 16+
- Closed: 1 Dec 2020 - 25 Jun 2021...
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The Pieve Hideaway
You enter the saffron-coloured, three-storey villa from its lovely garden via French doors into the living/dining room. On the floors above are 3 double bedrooms with queensize beds (no twins) and beamed ceilings; and 3 shower bathrooms (only the master bedroom is ensuite). Linens and throws come in soothing natural colours, complemented by arty black-and-white photos. Its small galley kitchen leads onto the living/dining room, with its sociable French doors opening up to the terrace for al fresco meals.
The huge shady gardens (1500 sq.m. in area) are the house's trump card, with their manicured lawns, carefully pruned shrubs, a stately cedar of Lebanon - and no fewer than three terraces on different levels.
You're a 3-minute walk from a few grocery shops and local restaurants. For anything fancier - and there are some truly gourmet options (just ask Thomas!) - you'll need to drive.
The Montebello Hideaway
This stunningly refurbished stone house - which used to be an award-winning boutique B&B - is built around a lovely walled courtyard with olive trees, a large plunge pool and a rustic-chic indoor-outdoor sitting room.
The main building houses 4 bedrooms: two doubles facing the valley, and a pair of suites (one of which can be twin-bedded) overlooking the pool court, each with its own sitting room for a bit of extra privacy. All have ensuite bathrooms with power showers, mosquito screens on the windows, and orthopaedic mattresses on kingsize beds. We loved their crisp, calming aesthetic: soft grey walls, original beams and terracotta floors, smart upholstery in natural colours, and contrasting pops of pink in throws and cushions.
Next to the top-floor suite is a games and TV room, while at ground level sits the main dining room and good-sized kitchen, complete with everything from ice maker to wine cooler, and no less than 3 fridges. There are also plenty of outdoor spaces for lazing, drinking and eating.
If you don't fancy cooking, head to Le Tre Terrazze in nearby Monteggiori (where we enjoyed authentic local fare and spectacular views); or splash out at upscale Ristorante La Dogana in Capezzano Pianore (our meal was sensational). There are dozens more eateries within a short drive, and Camaiore has plenty of shops.
- Chill out by your private pool, or find a secluded spot in the garden for some sunbathing
- Check out the beach clubs on the Versilian Coast, just 20 minutes away by car; or the wilder sandy beaches further south
- Explore the majestic Apuan Alps with their switchback roads: perfect terrain for cycling and hiking through forested trails
- There are marble caves at Carrara, and you can stop for chi-chic coffees and retail therapy at Forte dei Marmi
- Take a day trip to the iconic Tuscan cities of Lucca, Pisa or Florence, all within easy reach
- Or head northwards for the colourful coastal villages and dramatic cliffs of the Cinque Terre
- Olive oil and wine-tasting are popular nearby
The Pieve Hideaway is family-friendly, with a pool and generally safe gardens. We think it would work best for primary-school ages or babes in arms (a cot and high chair are available). Parents with toddlers should note that the garden has several steps, including down to the pool.
Beaches are a 20-minute drive; our kids loved the fine sands of La Lecciona, south of Viareggio - backed by woodland, with wild flowers and birdlife, and (unlike the organised beach clubs further north) totally free.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Pieve house has 3 double bedrooms (with a baby cot provided), and the smaller bedroom on the first floor is probably best for kids. Note there are no extra beds.
- Baby cot (Pieve)
- High chair (Pieve)
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool (unheated) at each villa
- Gardens to play in
Kids Activities nearby:
- Mountain biking in the Apuan Alps
- Caves at Carrara
- Day trips to Lucca, Pisa and Florence
Families Should Know:
The gardens at both villas are enclosed. There are several steps down to the pool at Villa La Pieve so be careful with small ones, and an adult should accompany the children at all times as it is below the house
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Hospital: 15 minutes
- Shops: 2 minutes (from The Pieve Hideaway)
The villas are north of Lucca, in the foothills of the Apuan Alps, 20 mins inland from the Viareggio coast. One villa (Montebello) is a mile northwest of Camaiore, the other (Pieve) is a mile southeast.
The nearest airport is Pisa (35km / 30 mins' drive). You can also fly to Florence (110km) or Genoa (150km).
From the Airport
You'll need a car here; see our car rental recommendations. Note that the Montebello driveway is very steep with a tight hairpin bend.
The nearest station is Pietrasanta (15 mins away), which is served by trains from Genoa, Florence, Pisa, La Spezia and Rome.
Detailed directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.
- Pisa Galileo Galilei 35.0 km PSA
- Florence Amerigo Vespucci 110.0 km FLR
- Beach 10.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km