“A perfect oceanside retreat with a state-of-the-art spa and one of the country's finest restaurants”
The creation of this oceanside Shangri-la didn't happen overnight and the Jung family have spent more than 35 years transforming what was once a private villa into the Algarve's most exquisite boutique hotel and spa. The alchemy which fused traditional Portuguese with Moorish architectural elements has also been present in its kitchens, where Dieter Koschina's culinary creativity has won Vila Joya's restaurant that fabled second Michelin star. If your Algarve idyll is about 5-star sumptuousness, cossetted relaxation and outstanding food, Vila Joya should be right at the top of your list.
- There are few places in Europe with such a dreamily picture-perfect beachside location
- Food here is in a class of its own: some would say that this is Portugal's very best restaurant
- The Vila Joya spa is a flight of decorative fancy and makes a perfect partner to the hotel and restaurant
- Every room and suite gets a share of that heavenly ocean view
- The high staff-to-guest ratio, and their polished yet friendly professionalism, make you feel cared for at every minute of the day
- Most Vila Joya guests return time after time so you'll need to book well in advance in the high season
- Staying here will leave a sizeable dent in your bank account but the experience will be with you for a very long time
- The hotel is tricky to find, hidden away in a residential area just back from the Praia de Galé. Print out arrival instructions or bring your GPS
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
- Water sports
Vila Joya's 22 rooms and suites fan out east and west from the main sitting room, bar and dining room, parallel to the sweep of emerald green lawn and the ocean. Each one is a preened and pampering sleeping space whose outstanding feature is a heart-stopping view out to the Atlantic.
Most of the rooms are in the main house, and all benefit from either a balcony or terrace with loungers. Deluxe Terrace Room 16 has the benefit of a larger terrace with twin sun beds and French windows facing both south and west. But we have no problem in recommending any of the rooms or suites, all unique and welcoming, from the smaller Double Rooms to the Deluxe Terrace Rooms and Deluxe Royal Suites.
In the annexe, next to the Joy Jung Spa, are a further 4 cavernous suites; Junior Suites Maresia and Saudade, Royal Suite Joia - with its private Jacuzzi - and Master Deluxe Royal Suite Alegria, the largest room in the hotel, which measures in at an extraordinary 200sq.m and not only has a private garden, but a private pool as well.
The decorative style has a big hint of plush boudoir coupled with a dash of spice from India or Japan, the latter being most in evidence in the annexe rooms. All rooms are either tiled or carpeted in a soft, creamy tone, and their enormous beds are banked up with cushions and bolsters for you to lay back with the windows thrown open, listening to the sound of the ocean. There are big fitted wardrobes, oriental dressers and bedside tables topped with huge vases.
Bathrooms are just as swish with richly coloured tiles covering every last inch of floors, walls and ceilings, and enormous vanity mirrors upping the sense of space: colour schemes vary from room to room. Expect a pile of fluffy white towels and flannels, extra pool towels, a spa robe and slippers.
- Air conditioning
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
The brightest jewel in Vila Joya’s crown is its restaurant. The force majeure guiding it to the top of the pantheon of Portuguese restaurants has been Austrian super-chef Dieter Koschina, who has been in residence since the early '90s. Originally an adept of the French school of cookery, since arriving on the Algarve he has perfected his highly imaginative, exquisitely good-looking cuisine, which looks to all that is local, especially the Sagres fish market, for its touchstone.
You dine in the glass-fronted, vaulted restaurant or, when the weather permits, on the ocean-facing terrace: there can be few settings more romantic than this. At lunch you choose between a 4-course tasting menu, chef Dieter Koschina's special menu, or dining à la carte. Dinners take the form of a 6-course menu, or you can opt for the Full Michelin Experience with greetings from the kitchen. Food is accompanied by a sommelier, who is there to help in your choice of wine and talk you through each of Koschina's creations.
We lucked out and had one of our best-ever meals. After amazing amuse-bouches, our dinner included frog's legs served on potato 'snow', turbot in a herb sauce with goose barnacles, saddle of hare served with a hazelnut crêpe filled with blueberry and cêpes, lychee soup served with a rose petal sorbet. Our sommelier recommended a Douro reserva followed by a 2002 Gewürztraminer, next a 2001 Alentejo reserva and finally vintage Pommery champagne - all, of course, a perfect match.
The breakfast buffet was a match for any that we've come across. Help yourself from a vast buffet that includes smoked salmon, cheeses and cold cuts, a dozen different fruit platters, cereals and Bircher muesli, half a dozen different types of bread and the same number of juices.
Every meal at Vila Joya has the feel of a special event and the combination of Koschina's cuisine and that unforgettable oceanside terrace make for a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience.
- Children's meals
- Room service
- Tasting menu
- Head for the spa. An amazing range of therapies are on offer, including muscle relief massages, aromatherapy, several different types of scrubs, wraps and facials, as well as beauty and anti-stress treatments, and tuition in yoga
- Break away from the hotel - it could prove difficult - and head up into the hills to visit the pretty towns of Silves, Monchique and Loulé, with their steep cobbled streets and panoramic views
- Waterski, snorkel, fish, jet-ski, swim or beachcomb: the Algarve has some stunning beaches and coves - Vila Joya's staff will guide you to the best of them
- Visit the windswept peninsula of Cabo Sao Vicente, taking time out to stop at Henry the Navigator's castle
- Play tennis - or have a coaching session - on Vila Joya's court
- Go horseback riding along the beautiful coastline, ask staff to arrange it for you
- Ask about the golf courses - there are more than 40 in the Algarve, all reachable within 30 minutes
- Chill out by the pool with a book and cocktail in hand
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Tennis coaching
- Well being
Children are welcome at Vila Joya, but there is a grown up vibe and the focus on sophisticated dining and spa treatments means this doesn't feel like the best place in the world for kids.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can fit a baby cot and most can fit an extra bed too. Deluxe Terrace Room Claudia can connect with Deluxe Royal Suite 1001; Junior Suite Maresia can connect with Royal Suite Joia, as well as Master Deluxe Royal Suite Alegria.
Babysitting available by arrangement.
Baby cots and highchairs are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Menus can be adapted to suit children with advanced notice.
Families Should Know:
Parents with kids of toddling age should be aware that there are lots of steps leading up and down through the gardens.
Vila Joya is in Galé, close to Albufeira, on the south coast of Portugal, the Algarve.
The nearest airport is Faro (50km), a 40-minute drive away. You could also fly to Sevilla or to Lisbon.
From the Airport
Vila Joya can collect you from Faro - see Rates. If you require a transfer from Sevilla or Lisbon, enquire when booking.
You will probably want to hire a car. You could combine a visit to Vila Joya with time spent exploring inland Portugal, especially the Alentejo. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
- Faro 50.0 km FAO
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km