“Luxurious villa (for 2-6) sandwiched between the Chania coast and the White Mountains, with a saltwater swimming pool and views on all sides”
Plum in the middle of the splendour, Villa Limani watches on in awe. It’s rare we stumble across such arresting architecture in this part of Crete. The cubist-style villa occupies enormous grounds (4200m2) of native plants, flowers and olive trees. It features oversized windows, exposed brick and lots of smart living spaces: three good-sized double bedrooms, indoor and outdoor living areas and a contemporary kitchen. Outside, there's a saltwater swimming pool and a choice of shaded terraces with uninterrupted views of pretty Souda Bay one way and the mountains the other.
Owners Rudi and Nancy live here in the winter months when the villa isn’t rented out, so you’re in for a proper home-from-home experience. They are a mine of local information - ask them for tips on where to go in nearby Vamos, a typical Cretan village with rustic tavernas and independent shops. Stunning beaches are a short drive away, along with watersports, ancient monasteries and beautiful nature trails. What a find! We're itching to see it.
- Contemporary styling with colourful splashes of modern art, spacious wet rooms and big sliding windows
- Secluded hilltop setting with extensive grounds and shaded terraces that look out towards the White Mountains (and the sea the other way)
- A good-sized saltwater swimming pool (12x3m) with unobstructed 180-degree views and plenty of sunloungers
- Lots of space, no neighbours and high levels of equipment (Siemens appliances, laundry room, outdoor shower)
- Friendly owners who are full of local tips
- Only available to rent from mid June to mid September
- No shops or restaurants within walking distance - a car is essential for getting around
- Access to the villa is via an 800-metre gravel road
- The unprotected pool and hard-edged design make it less suitable for toddlers
- Nearest beaches at Almyrida and Kalyves are 10-15 mins' drive away
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa (for 2-6)
- 3 bedrooms
- All ages welcome
- Closed: October-June
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The villa spans two floors. The styling is effortlessly cool, with floor-to-ceiling windows, neutral decor and pops of colour from paintings and fabrics. The ground floor comprises a double bedroom with an ensuite shower room (note: the wall is all-glass so not so good for the body conscious!), a smart kitchen, and a contemporary living room with a sound system and Chromecast for streaming Netflix.
From the living room, an open, glass-panelled staircase leads up to two further bedrooms. One is a double with a kingsize bed, the other can be a double or a twin. They share a good-sized family bathroom with a bath and rainshower, and they each have direct access to the upper terrace, which overlooks Souda Bay.
Yet despite all this, you're more likely to be spending your time outdoors here. And what an outdoors it is! Sliding doors from the kitchen and living room lead directly onto a vast shaded terrace with lounge seats and a swimming pool. There’s a separate outdoor kitchen with a fireplace, plus endless gardens planted with fruit trees, herbs and olive groves to explore.
- Air conditioning
- Bose sound system
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Mosquito net
- Satellite TV
- Swimming pool
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
The kitchen has smart, white/grey units, a big picture window overlooking the back garden, and Siemens appliances. It’s well equipped with a ceramic cooking plate, built-in oven, fridge, separate freezer, dishwasher, and dining table seating six. Sliding doors lead to the outdoor kitchen with further seating, a sink and a gas barbecue. A welcome hamper with local produce and breakfast items is provided. For stocking up on more supplies, the nearest supermarket is in Vamos (1.2km).
For eating out, there are some lovely, rustic tavernas in the area. Rudi and Nancy recommend Resto’s, which serves typical Cretan dishes using produce from their garden, along with homemade olive oil, wine and raki. For live music (on selected days), try Parasia in Vamos (pre-booking advised).
If you’re in the market for fresh seafood, head to the waterfront tavernas on the coast. If you’re after excellent homecooking and classic Greek hospitality, avoid the coast and try inland villages instead - speak to the owners for their recommendations (they’re big foodies!).
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hit the beach. Kalyves and Almyrida (good for sailing) are the closest (10-15 mins). If you’re heading in the opposite direction, Georgioupolis (20 mins) is great for windsurfing.
- Or for even better beaches, drive to Akrotiri (the north section of Chania). Seitan Limania beach is difficult to access but has stunning blue waters, Stavros beach is where Zorba the Greek was filmed, and Marathi beach has a small fishing harbour and several nice seafood restaurants. Take your snorkels or go diving.
- Explore the landscape around Villa Limani on foot or by bicycle. Rudi and Nancy provide details for 10 walking trails from your door that weave through the area’s impressive gorges. Guides can also be arranged.
- Or head into the White Mountains to hike the legendary Samaria Gorge (May-October).
- Go wine tasting in Sellia (2km) or olive oil tasting in Tzivaras (5 mins' drive).
- Learn how to make local dishes at a cookery class in Vamos.
- Visit Saint George Monastery, located just outside of Vamos. The building was originally a Venetian olive oil factory before being transformed into an Islamic monastery by the Ottomans when they invaded Crete.
- Don't miss Chania's gorgeous old town (30 mins' drive): set around a Venetian harbour, its pedestrian alleys are lined with boutiques and bars; the covered market is a cornucopia of health-giving herbs and cheeses, and its Archaeological Museum is the area's best.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Bungee jumping
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Paddle boarding
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Well being
Families are very welcome at Villa Limani. There's plenty of space for little ones to roam, though not so much in the way of facilities. Youngsters will love the large swimming pool, pétanque pitch and spacious gardens for playing in, and there's satellite TV with streaming services indoors.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The two bedrooms on the upper floor can be interconnected. They share a bathroom and a terrace with spectacular views. One of these rooms can be setup as a twin. Baby cots are available on request.
Families Should Know:
The pool isn't fenced and the gardens are wild so take care with small children.
- Airport: 45 mins
- Hospital: 40 mins
- Supermarket: 5 mins
Villa Limani is located in the Apokoronas area on Crete's northwest coast. It's near the village of Vamos, around half an hour from Chania.
Chania (34km away) is the closest airport. It's served by daily flights from Athens year-round, and by charter flights from across Europe in summer. There's also an airport at Heraklion, 111km to the east.
From the Airport
You'll need to hire a car to reach the villa and to make the most of the area.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Chania 34.0 km CHQ
- Heraklion 111.0 km HER
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 1.2 km
- Restaurant 1.2 km