“Gloriously arty villa (for 10-15; can be divided into 2 apartments) on the sunny Dalmatian island of Hvar”
Set in a rocky hillside garden of towering pines and exotic blooms, it feels very private, yet it's only a 15-minute walk into Hvar Town for sailing or glitzy evenings out. The décor is at once eclectic and vibrant, with bright colours and big bold oil paintings filling the walls. The upper apartment has a harlequin theme of primary colours, whilst the ground floor is decked out in a more subdued, black-and-white style. The bedrooms are funky, the living areas light and spacious, and there's an outdoor kitchen for evening BBQs, plus a pool.
But for us what makes this villa so special is Dagmar Meneghello’s private art collection. The entire complex is something of a live-in gallery, a homage to modern Croatian art. Dagmar has been patronising contemporary painters and sculptors since the 1960s, and has some 150 pieces on display here. She also has an amazing flair for combining Hvar’s traditional stone and driftwood sculptures with quirky modern design pieces. Very inspiring.
- Lush gardens with plenty of outdoor sitting spaces, plus a pool
- Perfect for big groups of friends hiring the whole place for sun, sea and nightlife
- Plenty of taxi-boats and chartered yachts from nearby Hvar Town to myriad islands and secluded bays for snorkelling or diving
- Fab restaurants and a hectic nightlife are near enough to walk to, but far enough away that no noise intrudes
- Unless you hire the whole villa, you'll be sharing the pool and garden with strangers (you might keep different hours from them)
- Hvar Town gets very crowded in July and August: try to come in May-June or Sept-Oct for a more relaxed atmosphere
- A 7-night minimum stay between July and August
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa & Apartments
- 2 apartments or 1 villa
- Self-catering (+ restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 25 Oct 2018 - 20 Apr 2019
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Set on the ground floor, Apartment A (sleeps 6 + 1) has slightly kitsch décor. The 2 double bedrooms and 1 twin room have wooden floors and are painted royal blue, with lime-green furnishings and white duvets emblazoned with big black flowers. It's slightly more subdued than the upstairs apartment, with occasional colour added by mosaic-topped tables, bold oil paintings and exposed stone walls.
The open-plan living space, dining area and kitchen have a striking black-and-white chequered tile floor, with a big glass dining table with wrought-iron chairs seating 8, 2 sofas (which could be used as beds), and a funky cooking area with black marble counters and a vast Coke bottle acting as a breakfast bar. There are 3 colourful tiled bathrooms, each with a shower and one with a large bathtub too.
Upstairs on the first floor, Apartment B (sleeps 6 + 2) is ultra bright, with a multi-coloured chequered tile floor and red-, orange- and mauve-striped duvets - a real eye-opener. All 3 bedrooms (2 doubles and a twin) have wooden floors and lead out to a long sea-facing terrace. The living room and lean-to kitchen are light and airy, with vast modern oil paintings on display. There are 2 colourful tiled bathrooms, both with a shower and one with a bathtub too.
It's an exuberant, summery apartment - a walk-in art gallery decorated with contemporary artwork, funky lamps and wrought-iron furnishings. We loved it and could stay here indefinitely.
Both apartments have private terraces. Bed linen and piles of towels are provided, and the whole villa is cleaned once a week. You’ll find natural Croatian toiletries and big bunches of freshly picked lavender in every bathroom.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
The 2 kitchens (1 in each apartment) are well kitted out for self-catering, with a range of utensils and basic provisions (washing-up liquid, bin bags etc). Both have fridges, ovens, hobs, freezers and dishwashers, as well as indoor dining areas and terraces for alfresco dining.
But the highlight for us has to be the stunning shared outdoor kitchen and dining area, in an open-fronted lean-to decorated in black and white, with a big BBQ and a long table seating 10 (plus a washing machine for guests to use). Set amid lush Mediterranean planting, with the pool just a few steps away, it’s so special that many guests end up spending almost their entire stay here.
The nearest food shops are a mere 500-metre stroll away, and there are more shops in Hvar town centre itself - about a 20-minute walk away. Send your grocery list over to the owner 2 days prior to arrival, and they'll kindly do a shop for you, so you can arrive to a well-stocked fridge. There'll also be a welcome bottle of good local wine.
If you're feeling lazy, the owners can arrange for a private chef to whip up delicious meals. Alternatively, there are dozens of restaurants to choose from in Hvar if you want to eat out, and Dalmatian specialties include black risotto, langoustines, octopus salad, lobsters and fish stew. Just 5 minutes from the villa, Terramarique has a great reputation and is right next to the pretty Franciscan monastery. In the centre of town, just off the main square, Macondo is a sound choice for fresh fish and seafood, plus delicious desserts. Nearby, Menego is tucked away on a narrow stepped alley leading up to the castle - come here for homemade wine and platters of pršut i sir (prosciutto and cheese), then round off with the restaurant’s famous 'drunk figs'.
- Chef on request
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Take a short stroll down to the sea below the villa and sunbathe on the rocks, or wander to Pokojnyi Dol pebble beach (5 minutes away; great for children)
- Rent a sailboat or kayak and explore the stunning Paklinski archipelago, which stretches across the sea in front of Hvar. It consists of tiny islands and hundreds of little bays where you can swim in crystal-blue seas, sunbathe, fish, snorkel, picnic...
- Go diving, windsurfing and waterskiing - there's a whole host of activities on offer in town
- Hire a bicycle and pedal around Hvar island - the landscape is dotted with beautiful gardens, lavender fields and exotic greenery; see Local Info for our favourite routes
- Stroll around Hvar Town. Admire the medieval Venetian fortress and fortifications, wander through the central piazza, and see the oldest public theatre in the Mediterranean
- Shop in the town’s colourful boutiques and galleries for chic one-off items of clothing and jewellery created by Croatian designers
- Don your best outfit and head into town for the evening: Hvar is full of seafood restaurants, cafés, bars and dance clubs - if you're home before dawn, you haven't partied hard enough. Carpe Diem is the town's most famous nightclub, where you can lounge on floor cushions and people-watch; look out for Full Moon parties at Carpe Diem Beach on the nearby islet of Stipanska
- Visit the Adriana Spa Hotel with its Sensori Spa, where you can have a whole range of pampering, indulgent treatments
- Catch a taxi-boat to the tiny island of Palmizana. Here you can dine in the Mediterranean restaurants, visit the tiny museum of amphorae, stroll around the gallery that showcases local artists, or relax on the beaches
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Villa Meneghello is ideal for larger or extended families as it can be rented as two separate apartments, each sleeping 6 in two doubles and a twin, and cots and extra beds can be added as required.
Family friendly accommodation:
Apartment A is on the ground floor and has a large open-plan living/dining/kitchen area plus sofas which can double as beds, plus three bathrooms, one with a large bathtub.
Apartment B is upstairs and its three bedrooms share two bathrooms, one with a tub; it also has an airy living room and kitchen plus a sea-facing terrace.
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
- Baby cots are available on request
- High chair
- Baby bath on request
- Plastic crockery & cutlery
- Extra beds
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool with steps along the shallow end
- Pool toys
- Gardens to play in
Kids Activities nearby:
- You can swim in front of the house
- It's a 10-minute walk to Pokojni doc beach
Families Should Know:
There are steps in the garden and in the villa
- Airport: 2-3 hours (Split including ferry journey)
- First Aid: 3 minutes by car
- Shops: 2 minutes on foot