“Good-value Maldivian resort with all you'd want and expect: water villas, gin-clear sea and lashings of romance...”
Walk the island's white-sand beaches, swim or snorkel in the warm ocean or book into the Jiva spa for an Indian-inspired massage. The adventurous can take a submarine trip to view the coral reef or fly in a seaplane over the atoll. In the evening, enjoy mouthwateringly fresh seafood, wood-fired pizzas and pan-Asian food in the resort's 2 restaurants, then linger over cocktails in glasses dusted with pink Himalayan salt. Later, stroll along the moon deck then retire to watch the stars reflected in the sea from your room. True romance.
- Good value for a Maldivian resort of this standard, and everything is high quality, especially the stylish rooms
- Fantastic service from friendly staff
- Just 1 hour by luxury speedboat from the Maldives' international airport
- A watersports and dive centre on site, offering windsurfing, kayaking and guided dives to reef sites and the shipwreck
- Spending a day à deux on a secret sandbank, finishing with Champagne and a candlelit 4-course dinner served by a personal waiter
- The island can be traversed in 10 minutes - so not for you if you get easily bored
- As with any Maldivian resort hotel, you're limited to what's on offer within it as there are no other restaurants etc nearby
- Limited nightlife options; there's the Reef bar but that's it
- Unlike most i-escape hotels, this one isn't independent but part of an established chain
- WiFi costs extra
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Luxury Resort
- Restaurants and bar (open daily)
- Children of all ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Pool Table
- Watersports centre
- Dive centre
There are 62 rooms at Taj Coral Reef, divided into 4 categories. All are beautifully decorated with neutral furnishings, elements of driftwood and trees in the furniture and flooring, and decadent open-air showers plus indoor tubs.
Our favourites are the Premium Indulgence Water Villas. These spacious standalone rooms are located down a pier and raised over the water with direct access to the lagoon from your large private deck. Bedrooms are large and airy, and you get Forest Essentials toiletries and bathrobes.
If you're travelling with kids, go for one of the Presidential Nirvana Suites, which have 2 floors and 2 ensuite bedrooms (1 double, 1 twin; bathrooms have a tub and shower). In addition, these suites come with a private butler, a vast living area, a private plunge pool, a work station and a pantry.
There are also several beachfront villas. Deluxe Delight are the larger category, and these have a large private deck with a daybed and hammock, plus a bedroom, dining area and outdoor shower. The Superior Charm villas are smaller and the least expensive overall, with a sea-facing double bed and open-air shower, plus a private deck.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite tv
- Twice-daily maid service
Breakfast is included in the rates; there are also half-board, full-board and all-inclusive options, which offer good value for money. As with many Maldivian resorts, you're limited to what the resort offers in terms of what you can eat - there's nowhere else nearby if you don't like it! Thankfully there is plenty of diversity here, with 2 restaurants and a bar, and reports on the food are positive.
Latitude serves pan-Asian food à la carte: Thai, Indonesian, Maldivian and coastal Indian cuisine. Open The Grill is an alfresco Teppenyaki restaurant with Japanese food, a sushi bar, a tandoor and a wood-fired pizza oven. Expect the likes of Chilli Crusted Swordfish, Australian Lamb Chops with fennel and ginger barbecue sauce or Curried Coconut Chicken.
You can request bespoke romantic and special dining options: candlelit dinners on the beach, picnics on secret sandbanks, in-room BBQs, and private dining in the restaurant's wine cellar. There is also 24-hour room service.
Reef, the resort's bar, has lavish drinks choices: sundowner cocktails, of course, but also a signature exotic-salt tequila, where your glass rim is iced with pink Himalayan salt.
- Coffee tea making
- Picnics on request
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Laze on the white-sand beach, or borrow fins and a mask to go snorkelling over the reef and shipwreck just offshore
- Don't miss the daily sting-ray feeding. Recent visitors say it's sensational
- Make use of the watersports centre: go diving or night fishing, borrow kayaks, and have fun on a banana boat. Afterwards, play volleyball, badminton or practise yoga
- Relax in the Jiva spa with an Indian-inspired massage, body scrub, wrap or facial, then stretch and relax with a yoga class
- Take a romantic escapade to the Blue Lagoon: a private speedboat trip to a sandbank where you can enjoy Champagne and a candlelit 4-course meal
- Book an excursion: take a submarine trip to see the underwater world, or a 15-minute seaplane flight over the white sandy atoll and surrounding aquamarine sea
- Walk around Kuda Bandos, an uninhabited island, then visit a nearby Maldivian fishing village for some local flavour
- Renew your wedding vows with a special package created by the hotel (book at least 14 days in advance)
- Do your bit for the planet and help with the hotel's coral regeneration programme
- Walk on the beach and explore the island from tip to tip. It won't take long!
- Spoil yourself with private dinners in exotic locales around the resort
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Plantlife / flora
- Pool table
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Well being
While the Maldives are known for being a honeymooners' paradise, this resort does cater for children and has 2 suites that are big enough for families. There is plenty to do, of course: the beach, snorkelling, boat trips, board games and DVDs. Note there is a charge for all children.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Presidential Nirvana Suites are set up for families, with 2 bedrooms (1 double, 1 twin). For those with 1 child, you can add a rollout bed or baby cot to the Deluxe Delight Beach Villas. All rooms have an indoor tub and outdoor or open-air shower.
Babysitting is available on request
Kids Activities on site:
- The beach
- Feeding sting rays
- DVDs to borrow
- Table tennis
Kids Activities nearby:
- Boat trips
- Submarine trips
- Airport: 45 minutes by speedboat (Male)
- Doctor: Called to the resort on request