“A super-cool Cornish rental (sleeps 12 + 4 kids) near the ocean: modern, eclectic and full of fun”
There's plenty of space to hide away or come together. Floor-to-ceiling windows maximise the coastal views, and lure you out to wood-fired hot tub or sea-facing sofas. All 6 bedrooms are ensuite, 5 have terraces, and the Master Suite is fit for any A-lister. But what makes it more than just a luxed-up pad – and what stole our hearts – are the quirky and theatrical surprises. From its cinema room, a hidden passage leads (mind your head!) into a fantasy arcade-cocktail bar with pool table, sound system and renovated Star Wars pinball machine. Hard to beat.
- Super comfortable living spaces inside and out, styled in a blend of contemporary and vintage flavours
- We loved the jaw-dropping Master Suite - make sure you get first dibs
- Brilliantly equipped throughout – kitchen, sauna, hot tub, cinema room, children's playboat - and a secret games bunker!
- A perfect location for a special celebration with up to 12 friends, or an extended family get together (there are 4 additional kids’ beds)
- Such a luxury to have the sea right in front of you; spectacular coastal walks start from your doorstep
- You’re partially overlooked by the neighbouring activity centre - but it’s not at all obtrusive
- The nearest cove is great for rockpooling (and for hardened surfers), but for swimming you need to walk 15 mins (or drive) to Widemouth
- Be aware that bookings run from Fri-Fri in July-August, or Fri-Mon / Mon-Fri at other times
- Not cheap, but great value for what you get (especially if you use all the rooms - it can work out around £50pppn)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- House rental
- Self-catering; restaurants a short drive away
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Pool Table
- Croquet lawn
- Weekly cleaning
- Games room
- Children's playboat
All 6 ensuite bedrooms are uniquely styled with well chosen fabrics and an eclectic range of furnishings: sheepskin rugs, leopard chairs even a four-poster bed fashioned from scaffolding. It's colourful yet not overpowering, and the effect gives a relaxed, polished feel - a definite leap above mere shabby chic.
The 'Big Daddy' Master Suite has massive floor-to-ceiling windows, a gob-smacking view, dual aspect terraces, walk-in wet room with two rainfall showers, and a shiny William Holland brass bath. Even with its cocktail bar, sitting area and wood-burning stove, it still seems uncluttered.
Next to this you'd think the other rooms would be disappointing, but each has its charm. All bar one have sea views and a balcony (one has a cabin bed for 1 adult or 2 kids with porthole facing seawards); the 6th room can be used as a family or dorm room with a zip-link superking double bed plus built in bunk-beds. Three bedrooms can be made into twins using zip-link mattresses; one of them has an additional double bunk up on a high-level mezzanine.
- Central heating
- Cinema room
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Washing machine
- Wood-burning stoves
The kitchen and dining room, with its 18th-century Persian oak table and separate island with bar stools, provides a delightful space to cook and to eat. It is made for big lunches and dinners, and we never felt cramped. Glass doors open out to the terrace, and by sliding the living room partition, you can set the scene as you wish.
The kitchen is wonderfully equipped for self-catering, with everything from wine chilller cabinets to Aga, electric hob and cooking gadgetry. Chefs can be organised to take the strain. Outside, its semi-covered terrace has masses of space to eat or BBQ.
A shopping service can be arranged if you want the fridge stocked up before your arrival; there are simple shops in Widemouth (2km) and a wide choice in Bude (7km). Make the most of Cornwall's fantastic local produce for your meals: Port Isaac (40min) has the freshest lobster and crab cooked to order at Fresh from the Sea.
- Chef on request
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Meal delivery service
- Shopping service
- Bask in the outdoor hot tub, steam yourself clean in the sauna or chill out on the al-fresco sea-facing sofas as the sun sets
- Have fun in the "Pleasureland" bunker with its cocktail bar, arcade games and pool table
- Flop back in the Cinema room with its big retractable screen
- Widemouth Bay, a short walk or drive away, is a mecca for surfers, but also great for rock pools and its long, sandy, life-guarded beach
- There are heaps of bespoke activities on offer: surfing lessons, pony trekking, deep-sea fishing trips, day trips to Lundy Island, wine tasting, yoga, bushcraft adventures, even hot-air ballooning
- The manager, Bonny, can also arrange for beauty and massage therapists to visit
- Boscastle (20 mins' drive) is a beautiful village set in a deep inlet and preserved by the National Trust
- Port Isaac (40 mins' drive) is an enchanting fishing village, and home to the Doc Martin TV series
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Pool table
- Wine tasting
Families are welcome and there is lots for kids to do both indoors and out, cinema, games room, garden, nearby beaches and an old boat in garden to clamber over.
Family friendly accommodation:
Three of the bedrooms can be made up as twins, one has an additional bunk beds up on a mezzanine level and another has a cabin bed for 2 kids.
Babysitting and child minding can be arranged with notice. The experienced staff and agencies that they use are NCMA registered, CRB checked and regulated by Ofsted
- High chair
- Baby cot
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Outdoor grassy play area with Cornish boat to clamber over
- Indoor arcade games room
- Pool table
- Home cinema, large screen TVs and selection of board games
Kids Activities nearby:
- Sandy beaches (5 mins walk). In Bude, you can eat at The Bayview Inn, which is family friendly with a great play area for kids
- Hidden Valley (30 minutes' drive), an incredible adventure park - think Crystal Maze meets Indiana Jones meets treasure hunt; different challenges are completed against the clock, plus there's a maze and a Hobbit's Valley
- Surf lessons and family fishing trips can be arranged
- The Eden Project (1 hour's drive)
Families Should Know:
The nearest bay is unsafe to swim in
- Airport: 1 hour's drive
- Doctor: 10 minutes' drive
- Shop: 5 minutes
The house is just south of Widemouth Bay, and 7km south of Bude, on the west-facing coast of northern Cornwall, near the Devon border.
The nearest airports, Newquay and Exeter, are about an hour's drive away. Bristol is 2.5 hours, London Heathrow 4 hours. If you need a car, see our rental recommendations.
Regular trains from London Paddington to Exeter (c. 2 hours 10 mins); from there take a taxi (c.1 hour 20 mins).
It's 4-5 hours drive from London, along the M4-M5-A30-A395. There's parking at the house.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- Newquay 60.0 km NQY
- Exeter 120.0 km EXT
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 2.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km