Each cabin has a private deck with hot tub for sunset soaks al fresco, plus a chimenea and picnic table on the grass for lazy BBQs and snuggly star-gazing. This is a place to switch off, literally and figuratively: there's no WiFi or TV and, while there are plenty of creature comforts, the vibe is more hot chocolate and marshmallows than strawberries and cream (though you do get a bottle of Prosecco for hot tub tipples). So bring a book or a kite, your family or your beau, and cosy up on a secluded seaside break, luxe-glamping style.
- Only 1.5 hours from London by car or train - a perfect distance for a weekend escape
- Such a luxury having private grounds to roam, with sea views and fresh eggs from the adjacent farm
- Very family- and dog-friendly
- Loving touches include a mini glass milk bottle for teas and coffees, posh toiletries, and marshmallows for toasting
- All the off-grid loveliness of camping - with none of the hassle!
- The cabins are set quite close together - you'll definitely meet your neighbours
- They're 5 mins' walk from the car park (wheelbarrows are available for your bags)
- No WiFi or TVs; but there are DVD players for old-fashioned film time
- You have to fire up the hot tub manually, with logs (supplied)
- Note: arrivals are on Mon, Wed or Fri only
Best time to go
- Luxury Log Cabins
- 3 cabins for 2-4
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Each of the three cabins has a cosy, arched and pine-faced interior with a double bedroom (kingsize bed), a separate small bathroom with shower and toilet, and a large living space with a kitchenette and a sofa that folds out into a double bed.
For a couple it's lovely and spacious; and it can also sleep a family of four assuming the kids don't mind sharing the sofabed. Bear in mind - especially if it's rainy - that the indoor dining table only seats two in comfort; and you'll probably want to fold up the sofabed each morning to free up the living room.
But it's all about outdoor living here. Each front deck has its own hot tub, with views over the rolling fields towards the sea: we can imagine spending every evening right here. On the grass nearby, you have a pub-style table for picnic lunches or simple BBQ suppers grilled on the chimenea - which also doubles up as a woodburning stove.
- In room treatments available
The in-cabin kitchen corner is well thought out, with an oven, fridge, butler sink, kettle, toaster, tea and coffee, and enough pots and implements for cooked meals at the simpler end of the scale. You'll need to bring your own provisions, including condiments, oil and detergents; and don't expect a dishwasher (unless you can persuade your other half to be that!). The indoor fold-out table seats 2 in comfort; you could pull it out and squeeze 4 around it, but that would mean folding up the sofabed.
Much better is to eat outside, using the picnic table and chimenea-top BBQ; or head along to The Custom Cafe (2km W along the A259) for excellent brunches, or down to Cooden Beach (2km S) for slap-up dinners at the Brasserie on the Beach (within The Relais). There's also a Chinese takeaway, a chippie and a Tesco in Little Common, 1km from the cabins; and several other eateries and pubs within 10 mins' drive.
- Hob or stove
- Roam the grounds of the Georgian Manor and farm: there are grassy paths, fields for frisbee, free-range hens and distant sea views
- Wander or drive down to the sand-shingle beach at Normans Bay (2km) for seaside walks, kite-flying and marshland birds
- Or hike over Beachy Head and The Seven Sisters for spectacular rolling chalk cliffs which plunge down to foaming seas below
- The gently undulating hills and valleys of the South Downs offer quintessentially pretty English countryside: the giant chalk Long Man of Wilmington gives the kids something fun to aim for
- We also love the walk from the historic village of Alfriston to the artsy retreat of the Bloomsbury set at Charleston, which also hosts exhibitions and garden festivals
- If you've never visited the immaculately preserved, moated castles of Bodiam and Herstmonceux, make time for at least one
- The coastal town of Hastings, with its buzzing pier and crumbling castle, and the Benedictine Abbey of Battle (site of the 1066 battle) are both an easy drive away
This is a great off-grid escape for a family of 3-4, with safe gardens to roam, plus castles and beaches to explore nearby. We think it's best for children aged 4-12, and families bringing a dog. If coming with toddlers, you'd need to keep an eye on them around the deck edges. Teens, meanwhile, might struggle with the lack of WiFi. There are no cots available, but you can bring your own travel cot if needed.
An ideal set-up is to come with 2-3 families and take all 3 cabins, as they are set close to one another. If the others are occupied by couples, you'll want to keep your kids' noise levels in check.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Each cabin can sleep up to 4, using the pullout double sofabed in addition to the main double bedroom. It's worth noting that you won't have much free space in the living room, unless you fold the sofa back up each day.
- Shop: 4 mins (Little Common)
- Supermarkets: 10-12 mins (Bexhill)
- Medical clinic: 10 mins (Bexhill)
The Barnhorn Cabins are near the town of Bexhill on the Sussex coast. It's an hour's drive south off the M25/M26, and around 2 hours from London.
Most guests come by car (if you need to hire one, see our tips). There's safe parking on the site, and wheelbarrows to help transport your bags to the cabin (5 mins' walk).
The nearest railway station, Cooden Beach, on the Ashford-Hastings-Eastbourne line, is 5 mins' drive away. From there, you can book an Uber or (if you're energetic) cycle up the hill to the cabins (2km).
London Gatwick (1 hour's drive) is the closest; otherwise try London Heathrow or London City.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- London Gatwick 70.0 km LGW
- Beach 2.5 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km