Secluded, exclusive, Eden-like beachfront resort on the Maya Riviera”
Architect José Luis Moreno, the brains behind the project, described the development as a 'protest against mediocrity' (only one-tenth of the site on which Belmond Maroma is built is developed - the rest is jungle). This may sound pretentious, but it’s nice to know that some people care about the environment and the result is, in our opinion, one of the most special luxury beach resorts in the Yucatán - perfect for a honeymoon or rejuvenating both body and spirit.
- It's set on one of the most beautiful beaches in Mexico - miles of powdery white sands washed by the clearest turquoise sea
- The luxury rooms and suites feel private and exclusive
- The haute cuisine on offer is prepared to international standards
- You'll find welcoming staff and personal 'no fuss' service
- You can choose from an array of massages, facials, Reiki sessions, Ayurvedic treatments and yoga classes in the Kinan Spa
- It's just 30 minutes from Cancún airport, yet feels blissfully secluded
- CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS UNTIL NOVEMBER 2022
- You'll need a car if you want to explore, as the resort is reached via a mile-long track through dense jungle (though transfers to and from the airport are available)
- Strong sea breezes can make you feel chilly in the evenings and on cloudy days (although they're heaven sent on hot days!)
- It's expensive for mere mortals, and extra charges can soon mount up
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Luxury Resort
- 63 rooms
- 2 restaurants and bars (open daily)
- Children of all ages are welcome
- Closed: 18 May 2022 - 31 Oct 2022
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
- Pool Table
The rooms and suites at Belmond Maroma were designed to preserve the quiet beauty of the natural environment. They're spread among white stucco 2- and 3-storey constructions and surrounded by a tropical garden of sea-grape trees, coconut palms and hibiscus, giving the impression that the buildings have evolved around the plants, rather than the other way round.
The cool-white rooms are all reached by various walkways and outdoor stairways, adding to the air of exclusivity and privacy. All have kingsize beds (twins on request), luxury bathrooms with sunken baths, CD players and hammock-strung balconies. They're decorated with bamboo shutters (the bamboo is harvested on the property), hand-painted Mexican tiles from Puebla, finely-woven bedcovers and wooden furniture from the hotel’s own workshops.
The Garden View Master Suites are set in the lush vegetation; the smaller Deluxe Garden View Rooms have balconies and are set amid the gardens. The Deluxe Ocean View Rooms are close to the beach and have views of the sea. The Ocean View Junior Suites and Ocean View Master Suites have separate bedrooms and sitting areas that overlook the Caribbean; but most luxurious of all are the Oceanfront 1-Bedroom Suites which have spacious outdoor terraces with private, ocean view plunge pools.
The rooms have minibars but no TVs; however, Belmond Maroma does have a library/TV room where DVDs are available to watch.
- Air conditioning
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
The excellent restaurant, rather unimaginatively named El Restaurante, serves haute cuisine to the hautest international standards. Waiters in pristine white uniforms are courteous without being obsequious, and friendly without being intrusive (though the service was rather slow during our visit).
You can have a simple lunch of Yucatan lime soup with chicken and tortilla strips served by the side of the beach, or something more substantial like cochinita pibil (a traditional Mayan pork dish seasoned with achiote and served with pickled onions) accompanied by a bottle of white wine. For dessert you might have to choose between pineapple sorbet, coconut flan and melting chocolate cake. Dinner (freshly-caught lobster is a specialty) is often accompanied by candlelight. Wines are expensive, especially if opting for non-Mexican varieties.
Breakfast, however, is the crowning glory: half a dozen fresh juices, a rainbow platter of every kind of tropical fruit, delicate freshly baked croissants and pastries, a generous portion of eggs ranchero-style and excellent coffee - all delivered directly to your room if you wish.
There's also the resort's tapas bar, El Sol Tapas & Restaurant, which serves Mediterranean dishes in a rustic setting, with a tented roof and sides open to the sea breeze. There's also Freddy's Beach and Ceviche Bar, which specialises in ceviche (the Mexican equivalent to sushi) and tequila - with more than 100 varieties to sample if you're so inclined.
The hotel also hosts ever changing dining experiences to help spice things up; beach barbecues, taco nights, and tequila and wine tastings may all be on offer over the course of your stay.
If you want to eat out, there's a large selection of restaurants and bars in Playa del Carmen, a lively resort town 15 minutes' drive away, or in Cancún. The front desk can arrange transport.
- Children's meals
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Enjoy a host of holistic treatments in the resort's Kinan Spa, including massages, Reiki, reflexology, mud baths, temazcal (a traditional Mexican steam bath) and yoga and pilates (all by appointment)
- Go swimming and snorkeling in the shallow, clear water, or wander along the white sands of the pristine beach and through Maroma's 200 acres of jungle
- Try diving along the Mesoamerican reef, located just off Maroma's beach - it's the second longest barrier reef in the world. PADI courses and cave diving in local cenotes (natural sinkholes) are also available
- Windsurfing, dinghy-sailing, deep-sea fishing and sea kayaking can all be arranged on the premises
- Swim with dolphins on trips organised by the resort
- Take a boat ride into the ecological biosphere of Sian Kaan, a Unesco World Heritage site and home to crocodiles and more than 300 species of bird. The resort offers guided tours around the reserve and, from May to September, you can join night-time tours to watch marine turtles coming onto the beach to lay their eggs
- Have a game of golf at the 18-hole course nearby
- For a spot of nightlife or shopping head for Playa del Carmen (15 minutes' drive), then retreat back to your hideaway
- Take a day trip to the famous Mayan ruins at Tulum (1 hour away), Coba, Chichen Itza (2 hours away) and Uxmal
- Visit Contoy Island - an uninhabited island which is now a protected bird sanctuary. As well as frigates, cormorants and pelicans, you might spot manta rays, lizards and even whale sharks. Several tour companies run boat trips to the island and the surrounding waters
- If you're feeling particularly adventurous, sky-diving can be arranged
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Plantlife / flora
- Pool table
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children are welcome at Belmond Maroma; on arrival kids get an in-room welcome kit and a child-sized kaftan and slippers.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Garden View Master Suites and Ocean View Master Suites can all fit an extra bed for 2 kids under 12 (or one child aged 13 or over). The ground-floor Oceanfront One Bedroom Suites offer a second, separate bedroom that can accommodate two single beds (on request). An Ocean View Master Suite can be connected with a Deluxe Garden View Room on request.
- Family-friendly restaurants with children's menus
Kids Activities on site:
- Games center
- Beach games
- Kids spa menu
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa is situated along the Maya Riviera on Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula, between Cancún and Playa del Carmen. It sits at the edge of a jungle reserve, amid 200 acres of tropical vegetation.
Cancún International (32km away) is the nearest airport. Transfers to and from the airport can be arranged (additional cost) or, if you want to hire a car for the entire duration of your trip, see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be provided when a booking is confirmed.
More on getting to Mexico and getting around
- Cancún International 32.0 km CUN
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 15.0 km
- Restaurant 15.0 km