“The ultimate contemporary beach villa on Clifton's 4th Beach - stunning location and brilliantly equipped (sleeps 5 + 3 kids)”
Walk along to the lively bars and restaurants of neighbouring Camps Bay, or take a quick Uber ride to Cape Town's hottest dining spots and boutiques. If you just want to stay here and unwind, it's heaven: poolside loungers, long sofas, giant bean bags and a hammock for sunset views. Those looking for entertainment can descend into the funky subterranean den - an audio-visual mecca with a retro turntable and LPs plus windows looking into the swimming pool. Passers-by who glance inside all say, "WOW, FAB, COR"! So did we.
- Fantastic location - a few steps to Cape Town's loveliest beach and only a 15-minute drive from the city centre and V&A Waterfront
- Beautiful, modern interior design combined with fun, comfortable living areas and luxury appliances
- Gorgeous bedrooms (2 doubles and a single), 4 bathrooms and space for 3 mattress-beds in the den for kids
- Heated pool and a lovely terrace that's sheltered from the summer's 'Southeaster' wind
- Daily housekeeping Monday-Friday included in the rate; Continental breakfasts and a private chef available on request
- Only reachable by a 5-minute walk from parking areas above - but you get a single garage to park in (gold dust in summer) and the housekeeper helped us with our bags
- There's a beach pathway in front of the house. It's a safe area but you'll see occasional passers-by (going green with envy)
- If you're not a tech-head, the many different lights, audio and visual equipment may flummox you
- The Atlantic Ocean here is usually icy cold
Best time to go
Our top tips
Foodies should head to the Saturday Oranjezicht City Farm Market at Granger Bay (near the V&A Waterfront), for fresh organic veggies, artisan produce and delicious street food.”
- Boutique Villa
- 3 bedrooms
- Self-catering; restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 22 Oct 2021 - 31 Dec 2021
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Surfboard and wetsuits
- Technics turntable + LPs
Spread over 3 levels, the villa has 2 double bedrooms, 1 single bedroom, 4 bathrooms, and 2 separate living /entertainment areas.
Top floor: fabulous master bedroom with an ocean-facing deck, free-standing bath and walk-in shower room. Air conditioning will cool you down but we preferred to open the doors to the gentle breeze and sound of waves.
Ground floor: the main open-plan living area offers a large relaxing space for cooking, dining and lounging (complete with a Bose sound system and Smart TV). Skylights and large sliding windows keep it light and airy, while splashes of colour and quirky sculptures of bubble-gum-blowing kids and bronze rabbits lend a sense of playfulness. Expect other eye-catching touches such as amazing glitter-effect cupboard doors and poignant artwork capturing the spirit of Mandela.
There are also 2 bedrooms on the ground floor (a double and a single), located at the back of the villa. They lack the sea view, but each has a spotless shower room, super-comfortable bed with crisp white linens and oodles of wardrobe space.
Outdoors: the living area opens onto a slim-line heated pool and wooden deck area with 4 loungers, hammock and cushions where you can laze away your days, catching glimpses of the beach just across the walkway. The private garden fronts the beach.
Lower ground floor: below decks you'll find a funky den with beanbags, a large Smart TV, Technics turntable and LPs, plus sound system, and a cool viewing window looking directly into the pool. A row of 3 daybed mattresses can be made up for kids plus there’s a shower-room and bar-kitchenette.
South Africa sometimes experiences power outages, but Clifton Beach Villa has a battery-powered backup system, meaning the lights, TV, some plugs and WiFi all continue to operate.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- DVD player
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Pool/beach towels
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Security alarm system
- Swimming pool
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
You get a welcome hamper on arrival. Continental breakfast and a chef can be arranged, but if you like cooking, the main kitchen is a dream, with a state-of-the-art Gagganau hob, Le Creuset cookware and every utensil you could need from muffin tins to barbecue tongs. You'll find gadgets galore, too - a Nespresso machine, smoothie blender, even a popcorn maker.
Most importantly, the living area is a soulful, delightful place to eat, whether at the breakfast bar or the long table for 10 where poetry is etched into the wood and candle holders are aptly labelled to capture the mood: "Dream-Love-Life-Friends Laugh..."
Supermarkets are close by – we recommend Woolworths (similar in style and quality to M&S in the UK), a 5-minute drive away in Seapoint.
Buzzing bars and restaurants line the promenade in neighbouring Camps Bay (15 minutes' walk), while some of the city’s best eateries are just a short drive away. You’ll find an excellent list of favourites in the villa.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Welcome hamper
- Lounge on the deck and watch the world go by or plunge into the heated pool
- Flip-flop your way onto Clifton 4th Beach, Cape Town's trendiest stretch of sand, for sunbathing, volleyball and sunset picnics; there's a surfboard and wetsuits to borrow too
- For incredible views, hike to the top of Lion’s Head or catch the nearby cable car to the top of Table Mountain
- Take a picnic to the famous Kirstenbosch gardens. Part of a nature reserve, they are home to over 7,000 indigenous plants and species
- On Saturday mornings stock up on artisan produce and organic veggies at one of Cape Town's thriving farmer's markets
- Drive down to the V&A Waterfront for galleries, boutiques and restaurants. This is also the jumping-off point for day trips to Robben Island (where Mandela was incarcerated)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Whale watching
- Wine tasting
A stylish, relaxed home. Youngsters will love being right on the sandy beach and splashing in the heated pool, while indoors they'll relish the space. Our 10-year-old daughter thought she'd found heaven in the entertainment room, with its slouchy beanbags, large daybeds (which can be made up as 3 extra beds for kids), music system, Apple TV and underwater windows into the pool. It’s enough to make even the moodiest teenager smile!
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The single room is best for one child. And the downstairs area works well for kids with the 3 day beds which can be extra beds, thus turning the area into a kids' dorm
- Baby cots and bedding
- High chair on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Heated pool 7x3 m
- Lower-level den with giant beanbags and Smart entertainment system
- Just 10 steps from the sheltered white sands of Clifton 4th beach (though the sea is very cold)
Kids Activities nearby:
- Red bus tour of Cape Peninsula
- Cable car up Table Mountain
- Kirstenbosch botanical gardens which also has a nice African style restaurant
- Two Oceans Aquarium
- Kiddies blue train at Mouille Point
- Mini Golf
- Hout Bay bird and monkey sanctuary
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced and just a few feet from the sitting room so not ideal for toddlers; the master bedroom on the top floor has a balcony, and the villa is on 3 levels so there are stairs. The walkway down to the villa from the car park has some steps, which could be hard work with a pushchair.
- Airport: 30 minutes' drive (Cape Town International)
- Hospital: 15km
- Shop: 5 minutes' walk
Located on Clifton's 4th Beach in Cape Town; a 15-minute walk to Camps Bay, a 15-minute drive to the V&A Waterfront and 30 minutes from the airport.
Cape Town International Airport (26km), served directly by many European cities including London, Amsterdam, Paris and Munich. From the US, many flights route through Johannesburg, or you can fly via Europe. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
From the Airport
It's a 30-minute drive from the airport to the villa. You don't necessarily need a car here as the villa is right on the beach, shops and restaurants are nearby and taxis are cheap. But you'll probably want one for exploring the wider area. See our car rental recommendations.
The villa has a lock-up garage with space for 1 car and there's a paying car park (note: both are a 5-minute walk from the villa, along a stepped walkway).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to South Africa and getting around
- Cape Town International 26.0 km CPT
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km