Guests have shared use of a clay tennis court, and an exercise room - none of which ever get very busy. A live-in cook and housekeeper provide an extra dash of luxury, leaving you with more time to laze around and enjoy the view, explore the Berber villages of the beautiful Ourika Valley, or go shopping in the souks of Marrakech - just a half hour drive away. Come evening, watch the stars from the roof terrace, or gather around the roaring fire in the cosy lounge. Heavenly.
- Spacious and serene, with stunning mountain views
- The friendly, live-in staff provide excellent service without being obtrusive
- We loved the delicious breakfasts. Other meals are available on request, including traditional Moroccan dinners and tempting French baking
- Handy for day trips to Marrakech and hiking in the Atlas Mountains – you can even soar above them in a hot air balloon
- An English-speaking concierge is on hand to arrange transfers and activities, and smooth out any language problems
- 7-night minimum stay and all bookings are totally non-refundable
- It can be hard to find (do book a transfer from the airport) and is a little isolated – but this seclusion makes it wonderfully relaxing
- Brush up on your French to communicate with the talented cook – you’ll be reliant on her for meals (the villa is not suitable for self-catering)
- You'll need to drive to local restaurants if you want a change of scene
Best time to go
Our top tips
Don’t forget to tip the wonderful staff at the end of your stay - you’ll be sad to leave them!
- Boutique Villa
- 4 bedrooms
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Steam Room
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
- Laundry Service
Dar Tamazerte's stylish and airy rooms provide the perfect balance of privacy and communal space. The 4 ensuite bedrooms all open onto private terraces; three are in the main villa (2 doubles and a twin) and one is in the garden (a double with its own private entrance). Beds are firm but comfortable, with crisp cotton linen and fluffy pillows. Fresh flowers, organic toiletries, iPod docks and bathrobes add luxury.
At the top of a small tiled staircase, the soothing master double Green Room chimes with the expanse of olive groves stretching to the horizon. French doors open onto a roof terrace - perfect for a sunny breakfast or a star-spangled dinner. The bathroom has a rainhead shower, a double bathtub and plenty of natural light.
The ground-floor Red Room is a double decorated in restful earth tones. Photographs of old Morocco complement the dark-wood furniture. The bathroom has twin marble basins, a shower and a bathtub, and the outdoor terrace’s table for 2 is shaded and private.
The Twin Room, with its filigree lamps and wall murals, is spacious and cool. The ensuite shower room is finished in striking polished tadelakt, but taller guests may struggle with the low-mounted showerhead.
Since our visit, the Garden Room has been added. Located in the garden, it is perfect for those wanting a little extra privacy and direct access to the lawns - perfect for an early morning dip in the pool.
After dark we enjoyed curling up on the living room’s cream sofas, cosily arranged in front of the large wood-burning fire. Its shelves are filled with novels, games and films.
- Safe box
A wide range of European and Moroccan flavours are available at Dar Tamazerte. The French-speaking Berber cook and housekeeper provide food and service to a high standard, from breakfast, lunch and dinner to simple poolside refreshments. Fresh flowers, linen tablecloths and fine china complement 2- or 3-course meals served alfresco on the shaded terraces, or indoors around the 8-seater dining table.
Breakfast is a refreshing array of fruit salad, freshly squeezed juice, yoghurt, local honey and jams, homemade bread and beghir pancakes.
Lunch and dinner (additional cost) are cooked in consultation with guests, and special dietary requirements or fussy children are easily catered for. Many of the ingredients used come from the villa's garden, which has 60 mature olive trees. Cook Latifa’s specialities include traditional Moroccan cuisine such as bestella - a spectacular pie filled with saffron chicken, fried almonds and orange water. Her lemon chicken tagine with couscous was delicious, as was the fiery chickpea harira soup. She’s also adept at creating tasty French food and her baking skills are superb - her tarte aux pommes and orange cake are not to be missed.
If you tire of the fabulous home-cooking, there's a range of restaurants a short drive away. Towards Marrakech on the Ourika Valley road is the stylish Bo & Zin (25km away), which serves Asian, Moroccan and European cuisine amongst exotic gardens. For lunch, try Le Maquis. If you’re on a day trip to the Atlas Mountains, seek out the local’s favourite, Imouzzer. Restaurant reservations can be arranged by Dar Tamazerte’s staff.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Lunch by arrangement
- Organic produce
- Laze by the pool in the shade of a curtained pergola, play tennis on the shared clay court (rackets are provided but you'll need to bring balls), or attempt a game of boules
- Explore the beautiful Ourika Valley. Visit the terraced village of Setti Fatma, have lunch by the river, and walk to its 7 waterfalls. More strenuous treks can also be arranged via the concierge, as well as visits to Berber villages hidden in the lush hillsides via mule, camel or on foot
- Head into Marrakech (half an hour’s drive away) and explore the wonders of the city. A personal shopper can be hired to escort you through the souks, and a knowledgeable English-speaking driver can show you the spectacular sights. We really enjoyed our guided day-long tour of Marrakech’s highlights
- Seek adventure - quad biking, 4x4 trips, horse riding, camel treks, hot air balloon rides, mountain biking, and ultra-light aircraft and helicopter flights can all be arranged
- Go fishing - the deep mountain lakes have been known to yield some record-breaking catches for keen anglers
- Brush up on your golf - there are 5 golf courses within a 30-40-minute drive, including the renowned Palmeria and Samanah courses
- Embrace winter - Morocco’s only ski resort, Oukeimenden, lies at the end of the valley road (40 minutes away) and is at its snowy best from mid-January to mid-February. After a day on the slopes, warm yourself by Dar Tamazerte’s open fire
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
Dar Tamazerte is a welcoming place for children, with 4 bedrooms and plenty of outdoor space, although very young kids will require supervision. A baby cot can be provided free of charge. There's plenty to keep kids entertained, including the tennis court, boules, games and DVD collection.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
A baby cot and highchair are available by arrangement
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced
- Airport: 20 minutes
- Shops: 7 minutes
Dar Tamazerte is located in the Ourika Valley, in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. It's on the private Bab Adrar estate, 28km from Marrakech.
Marrakech Menara (28km away) is the closest airport.
From the Airport
The villa is a 20-minute drive from the airport. Dar Tamazerte can arrange for a driver to collect you - we recommend this option as the villa is difficult to find. Alternatively, you can jump in a taxi.
We don't advise hiring a car; staff can arrange transport during your stay. If you do want to explore the region independently, see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Morocco and getting around
- Marrakech Menara 28.0 km RAK
- Beach 185.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 5.0 km