“Blissfully rural farmhouse B&B with almost monastic peace: 15km from Faro and the Algarve's alluring beaches”
With its whitewashed walls, cobbled pathways and ancient stone fountain, Farmhouse of the Palms oozes character and charm. It’s a substantial property, yet has just 5 beautiful and enormous guestrooms, offering plenty of space to relax (or book the whole place, ideal for families travelling together). Find a peaceful spot in the palm-filled garden, enjoy a leisurely breakfast of continental treats, laze by the black-tiled pool. You'll never want to leave, but there are pretty castle towns, atmospheric markets and local tavernas to be explored. We're yet to stay ourselves, but it sounds ideal for discovering there's more to the Algarve than just sun, sea and sand.
- The careful blend of original features with gorgeous contemporary design
- A deeply peaceful rural setting: no neighbours and stunning views over the São Brás de Alportel valley
- Fabulous breakfasts and local dinners served on Thursdays and Sundays
- Plenty of space to relax: on your private terrace, by the pool or in the garden surrounded by fruit trees and tropical plants
- Great value
- With just 5 rooms, it fills up fast; book ahead
- You’ll need a car here; excellent restaurants are a drive away
- The outdoor pool is unheated but the black tiles keep it warm enough for swimming May-October
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- Breakfast + other meals on request; restaurants a drive away
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 5 enormous rooms are beautifully styled with whitewashed walls and soothing tones of natural stone, wood and terracotta. High beamed ceilings, chunky wooden doorways and rustic wall alcoves add authentic farmhouse character, while heavenly beds with Egyptian cotton, Bluetooth speakers and Delta espresso makers ensure modern comfort. We love the decorative details, too: wicker lamps and quirky art. Ensuite bathrooms in smooth polished concrete feature walk-in rain showers, fluffy bathrobes and wonderfully scented artisan soaps.
The largest suite, Room 5 is the only one with a beautiful freestanding bathtub. With a master bedroom and separate twin, it’s ideal for families, though many couples just enjoy the extra space. Also on the first floor is romantic Room 4 – we love the look of the rooftop terrace where you can sleep alfresco under the stars in a canopied 4-poster bed. At ground level are 2 more stylish doubles, Rooms 1 and 2, with large terraces and far-reaching views. Room No 3, overlooking the courtyard, has a small second bedroom.
- Air conditioning
- Beach towels
- Bluetooth sound system
- Coffee maker
- Mosquito net
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is a highlight, served to your table on a terrace in the welcome shade of a large carob tree. It starts with a sumptuous spread of continental delights: fresh fruit smoothies and strong foamy coffee; little jars of yoghurt topped with pomegranate, kiwi and mango; sourdough bread with homemade jams, cheese and locally cured meats; eggs cooked to order; flaky croissants and pastéis de nata (Portuguese custard tarts). The options change slightly every day, but are always delicious and fresh.
In high season (July/August), a light lunch menu of salads, toasties and omelettes is available on request. Dinner is offered on request, on Thursday and Sunday year round: a local chef comes to the farmhouse to prepare a Portuguese feast. You might find yourself tucking into hearty local fare such as Cataplana (Algarve fish stew), Ameijoas Bulhão Pato (clams Portuguese-style) or Arriz Marisco (seafood rice), accompanied by a selection of wine or beer from the honesty bar. Otherwise, just 4km away, São Brás de Alportel has several excellent restaurants.
- Coffee maker
- Visit nearby São Brás de Alportel for local tavernas and an authentic cork factory
- Explore Rio Formosa natural park with its lagoons and stunning island beaches, a haven for migrating birds; take boat taxis back and forth
- Hit the beach: Praia Falesia (Albufeira, 40 mins) and Praia Marinha (Benagil, 50 mins) are 2 of the most picturesque, though there are several closer
- Join the locals in Loulé at the Saturday fruit and veg market; the Market Hall, with its Arabic arched windows, dates from 1908
- Wander the cobblestone streets of Tavira, one of the region's most beautiful towns, then take a ferry to its unspoilt island beach
- Hike or cycle part of the Via Algarviana to experience the magnificent scenery of the inland Algarve; Frank can arrange bike hire
- Play a round of golf at several top courses including Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, Vilamoura, Quinta da Ria and Benamor
- Spend a morning in atmospheric Faro, with its attractive marina, medieval old town and wealth of museums
- Admire Roman ruins at Melreu near Estoi
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children are welcome and 2 of the rooms are spacious family suites. The 12m outdoor pool and large gardens dotted with fruit trees offer plenty of space to burn off energy, and there are several beaches within a 20-minute drive. Parents of babies/toddlers are welcome to use the kitchen to prepare food for their children.
The property is also available as a private rental for 10-14 people, an excellent option for 2-3 families.
Family friendly accommodation:
Room No 5 is perfect for families with 2 separate bedrooms (one master, one twin) and a spacious bathroom with freestanding tub. Room No 3 features one large double room, and a separate small double squeezed into an alcove; it’s a cosy space for kids, as long as they don’t mind sharing a bed. Both rooms have plenty of living space and an outdoor terrace. All rooms have space for a travel cot (free of charge).
Parents can put their child(ren) to bed and then have supper on the terrace, using a baby monitor/mobile phone to listen out for wake-ups
- Baby cot
- Baby bath
- Bottle warmer
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Board ganes
- Garden games (petanque, frisbee, racket ball)
Kids Activities nearby:
Families Should Know:
The swimming pool is unfenced
- Airport: 15km (Faro)
- Shops and restaurants: 4km
- Hospital: 5km
Farmhouse of the Palms is 15km north of Faro Airport, in Portugal’s eastern Algarve. Set on a hill, surrounded by picturesque valleys, it overlooks the quiet country town of São Brás de Alportel.
Fly into Faro then hire a car. It’s an easy 20-minute drive and there’s plenty of parking on-site.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Faro Airport 15.0 km FAR
- Beach 15.0 km
- Shops 4.0 km
- Restaurant 4.0 km